T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Mar 31, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #31 of 3,217
Is it only whining at a high level? I can also say no, my personal expectations to this headphone model have been missed so far. Does my Golden Ear tell me something wrong? In the end, the measurements probably will show how far I am correct and how far wrong.

Your Golden Ears must be very different to mine then as I have these headphones on loan from Audio Concierge and I couldnt disagree more with your assessment!

Sound stage is not the widest , but it is fairly wide and very 3 dimensional / holographic. Instruments are very precisely positioned.

There is slight push of the very low sub bass frequencies, a lower band than the Abyss TC. Bass is very well extended and sounds floor standing loudspeaker like.

There is a bit of a roll off of treble but not as much as the Empyrean. There is still some sparkle in the treble and the detail is all there. Speed is also there.

There is a slight push in the mids but it is very textured and layered. The Verite Closeds sound congested in comparison and they are of course highly regarded.

These are headphones you can get lost in. It is not a punchy headphone like the Abyss TC or a sharp headphone like the Utopias. It is not as laid back a headphone like the Empyrean. It cuts across all of these nuanced headphones with something new, different and equally appealing that means the focus is a non fatigued well balanced all round performer.

I don't want to send these back!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #32 of 3,217
What is on my program today ... the Solitaire P by T + A . What a horrible name for such a very well thought-out construction.
Yes dear Joe ... dear Sankar .... this point goes to Gemany. After Meze Audio the second manufacturer (newcomer) who shows how to do it. You need the right skilled people for this.

But the construction, workmanship and comfort, which are really great with this headphone from Herford, are not everything.

Having 3400 tracks available, I have not found a single one on my Astell & Kern, which the Solitaire does exceptionally well, or at least partly as good or better as an Utopia / Diana Phi / Zmf Verite / Clear. No matter whether I use Solitaire in combination with my A&K Player, the TT2 or the Questyle CMA 12 Master.
I save myself the comparison with my marble stone HE1.

So what is wrong? Quite simply, it is the sound signature offered by this headphone.

Regarding bass there is nothing to complain about, but regarding mids and highs, there something which does sounds not right. It does not Sound sharp or sibilant, but somewhere in the mids and highs there is a real roller coaster, which even I only know from one Company

Do I think to have the wrong headphone amps with Chord's TT2 or Questyle's 12 Master? No, I certainly do not to worry in this regard.
In this Case...i think T&A's upcoming headphone amp will not be able to breathe an audiophile sound signature into this model.

Is it only whining at a high level? I can also say no, my personal expectations to this headphone model have been missed so far. Does my Golden Ear tell me something wrong? In the end, the measurements probably will show how far I am correct and how far wrong.

Kudos to the designer and for the effort that was made here, but looked at from the acoustic side ... Sorry i can not recoment it for this price

NOMAX

P.S. Am I too critical? Decide for yourself in case you get the chance to test this model and compare it to other headphones.
Ouch!

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #33 of 3,217
2 points already....

▪ A $9k dac/amp w/ no line outs.

▪ A can at $6K and at this early, somebody says: "It doesn't sound right". The other says: " there is a slight push...there is a bit roll off...there is a slight push"....

Sorry not my cup of tea....:wave:

Apr 1, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #34 of 3,217
2 points already....

▪ A can at $6K and at this early, somebody says: "It doesn't sound right". The other says: " there is a slight push...there is a bit roll off...there is a slight push"....

Just to be clear on my comments. ALL headphones have a character, especially audiophile ones. None of the headphones I referred to sound flat.

Apr 1, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #35 of 3,217
2 points already....

Yes, I too base all my purchasing decisions on what "somebody says".

Apr 1, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #36 of 3,217
....and why i can not recomend it....more later about my impressions

IMG_7451.JPG

NOMAX

very nice trio of TOL Headphones.... :wink:

Apr 1, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #37 of 3,217
Apr 1, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #39 of 3,217
This has been fed back to T+A. Not sure what if anything they can do but the feedback has been posted.

thanks. let's cross fingers now...

Apr 1, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #40 of 3,217
It is not a punchy headphone like the Abyss TC
If you were looking for a headphone for electronic music like Dubstep, with lots of deep bass (but not necessarily being a bass head, but being just a guy who enjoys a good bass) which headphone would you personally choose, the Abyss or the T+A?
And have you ever auditioned the Final Audio D8000 pro and in case you did, how did those hp fare against the Solitaire?

Apr 1, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #41 of 3,217
Apr 2, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #42 of 3,217
......here a short Video about this Masterpiece in Construction...Build/Materialquality

NOMAX

Ps.and sorry for my poor cam quality lol

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #43 of 3,217
If you were looking for a headphone for electronic music like Dubstep, with lots of deep bass (but not necessarily being a bass head, but being just a guy who enjoys a good bass) which headphone would you personally choose, the Abyss or the T+A?
And have you ever auditioned the Final Audio D8000 pro and in case you did, how did those hp fare against the Solitaire?

That is really tough for me to answer because it isnt a genre I particularly listen to. Both the Abyss and Solitaire have excellent bass. There is a greater bass push on the Abyss Phi TC. It has a more accentuated bass covering all the way up to mid bass. The Abyss also has a more accentuated treble which may be important for offsetting dubstep's strong bassline? For headphones costing this much you really need to demo and compare if you possibly can.

P.S I have no experience with the Final Audios

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #44 of 3,217
What is on my program today ... the Solitaire P by T + A . What a horrible name for such a very well thought-out construction.
Yes dear Joe ... dear Sankar .... this point goes to Gemany. After Meze Audio the second manufacturer (newcomer) who shows how to do it. You need the right skilled people for this.

But the construction, workmanship and comfort, which are really great with this headphone from Herford, are not everything.

Having 3400 tracks available, I have not found a single one on my Astell & Kern, which the Solitaire does exceptionally well, or at least partly as good or better as an Utopia / Diana Phi / Zmf Verite / Clear. No matter whether I use Solitaire in combination with my A&K Player, the TT2 or the Questyle CMA 12 Master.
I save myself the comparison with my marble stone HE1.

So what is wrong? Quite simply, it is the sound signature offered by this headphone.

Regarding bass there is nothing to complain about, but regarding mids and highs, there something which does sounds not right. It does not Sound sharp or sibilant, but somewhere in the mids and highs there is a real roller coaster, which even I only know from one Company

Do I think to have the wrong headphone amps with Chord's TT2 or Questyle's 12 Master? No, I certainly do not to worry in this regard.
In this Case...i think T&A's upcoming headphone amp will not be able to breathe an audiophile sound signature into this model.

Kudos to the designer and for the effort that was made here, but looked at from the acoustic side ... Sorry i can not recoment it for this price

NOMAX

P.S. Am I too critical? Decide for yourself in case you get the chance to test this model and compare it to other headphones.

Thanks for a very early impression. I would say if you already purchased the Solitaire P, give it more time and play around with it. You might discover why it sounds that way.

Personally, i would say this hobby needs an open mind and great endurance. Why? Most of the High-End Equipments sound terrible when you bring them to your home. The reason is that we, as an ordinary consumer, don't have enough knowledge to gain full control of these equipments. To truly let these equipments shine, it takes lot of time, effort and, of course, lots of money. Maybe this is what makes this hobby fun for the hardcore player. I will tell you all a story of when i bought the Focal Utopia.

Last time, i purchased a Focal Utopia around 4 years ago blindly because there's no distributor in my country for demonstration. When i first put them on my head and listened to several song out of my rig, i was truly disappointed. This "high-end" headphone sounds way so "small", "why on earth its soundstage is too small and flat", "congested", "muddy midrange", "sibilance" "its mid-high register sounds wrong". However, i have an "upgrade cable" that i ordered together with the Utopia as an "internet friend" of mind suggested - The Siltech Duchess Crown. I quickly changed the cable and things got a little better. However, the soundstage is still too small, forward and "big" midrange that occupies most of the space, sibilance is still there. After trying to listen for about half an hour, i gave up as i felt too dizzy to continue. My system at that time is Macbook Pro (Audirvana) -> Exogal Comet Plus DAC -> LTA Microzotl 2 headphone amp with upgraded tube and PSU. Later, i spent more than 6 months trying different ways and invest around $8,000 more to let the Utopia truly shine. At its best, Utopia soundstage very holographic, precise and what truly stunned me is its dynamics especially with some classical tracks which is totally different from when i first listen to them. At night, when the AC Main get the least noise, i even felt i was listening to a big floor-stand speakers in great acoustic environment as the stage is just "massive" and kind of "embracing" me. I won't go into details what i did because there were many things to do and things got a little complicated.

I also have a friend who invested a speaker system worth nearly $1,000,000 in retail price and it sounds so terrible that he said to me "sometime, i felt so irritated that i wanted to throw all the system out of the window". He even emailed dCS asking why his limited edition dCS Vivaldi One ($70,000) sound worse than the $6,000 T+A MP 1000E. Finally, it takes him more than 2 years and he partially managed to "understand" the system. He is very happy now with that system and listen all day in this "social distancing" situation.

Apr 3, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #45 of 3,217
Similar story with my Susvara, I went from “ why did I spend 6k on this” to “ this is my fav and better than Abyss Phi/TC” in a few months time.

IMHO brain/system burn in and synergy takes time.

I am interested in adding Solitaire P to my collection but will wait for few more impressions to trickle in as all my purchases are blind.

Stay Safe!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back