T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Sep 23, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #1,396 of 3,205
There may be some unit to unit variation, but this should not be at this price tag. Both measurements have in common, that there is much too little energy from 1 - 5 kHz (=from upper mids to lower treble), which was my big issue with the Solitaire P.
Well the little energy from 1-5 is the sound signature of the P, either one likes it or not.

Treble is tricky to measure consistently.

The Bass measurements deviate so hugely between the measurements, that it's essentially a different headphone.

One measurement shows a headphone with good low end, even tastefully boosted between 50 and 100 Hz.

The other Shows a neutal headphone down to 50 Hz which then has insane drop off.

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #1,397 of 3,205
Is it possible to incorrectly install the pads? If so, assuming the latest measurement is accurate, a poor seal could explain the bass rolloff issue and account for the bad experience of a specific listener.

During my audition I had no problems with bass extension and in fact my only issue with bass was a slight bloom in the upper bass.

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,398 of 3,205
There may be some unit to unit variation, but this should not be at this price tag. Both measurements have in common, that there is much too little energy from 1 - 5 kHz (=from upper mids to lower treble), which was my big issue with the Solitaire P.
Yeah, I would say just the right amount of energy in the 1-5 kHz, which perfectly complement the deep and detailed bass. That's why I like it.

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #1,399 of 3,205
Decided to move on. Anyone interested in an HA200 (with the HDMI board) in the EU, let me know. I will list it on the weekend or next week.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #1,400 of 3,205
Decided to move on. Anyone interested in an HA200 (with the HDMI board) in the EU, let me know. I will list it on the weekend or next week.
Yours was silver right?

Which DAC and amp will you use from now on?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #1,402 of 3,205
Sep 24, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,403 of 3,205
That Reliefs my wallet. "Wrong" color for me.

What are you replacing it with?
RME ADI-2 Pro. For me the added value of the DSP (5 point PEQ, two more bass and treble adjustments, more flexible loudness, more flexible crossfeed) power of ADI-2 is higher than the last 5% refinement and musicality HA200 brings. I like the flexibility and possibility of finding my own sound more than waiting for some manufacturer selling me a product with a big bag of BS and marketing material. I am of course not saying HA200 is that, but there is a lot of it in this community. I may also get the Benchmark HPA4 in addition later on.

For the last one week I have been listening to Stealth with the ADI-2 and I am pretty satisfied.

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #1,404 of 3,205
RME ADI-2 Pro. For me the added value of the DSP (5 point PEQ, two more bass and treble adjustments, more flexible loudness, more flexible crossfeed) power of ADI-2 is higher than the last 5% refinement and musicality HA200 brings. I like the flexibility and possibility of finding my own sound more than waiting for some manufacturer selling me a product with a big bag of BS and marketing material. I am of course not saying HA200 is that, but there is a lot of it in this community. I may also get the Benchmark HPA4 in addition later on.

For the last one week I have been listening to Stealth with the ADI-2 and I am pretty satisfied.
Good call. The diminishing return curve for electronics kicks in way earlier and harder than for transducers. Moreover a lot of the theoretical improvements can be swamped by the filtering effects of cables, component mis-matches and use of the product in a non-ideal environment.

Companies like RME and IFI Audio confirm that excellent sound can be had for a fraction of the price of what is considered to be state of the art. For example, the IFI Audio iESL connected to a good integrated amp and dac has for me been competitive with any high end setup I have heard and enables me to use all my headphone types including electrostats as well as speakers with one setup. New members of the hobby should try something like the Cayin CS-55a or Naim Uniti Atom connected to the iESL and laugh all the way to the bank. Yes, the expensive stuff typically sounds a bit better, but for me the last 5% of refinement you lose is more than offset by the increased thickness of my wallet and less worry about having to own the latest and greatest. Now, when I buy it's more to add interesting products like the Solitaire P to a collection as opposed to chasing an ideal.

Wish someone had told me this years ago .... actually they did, but I just didn't listen!

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #1,405 of 3,205
Sep 24, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #1,406 of 3,205
Good call. The diminishing return curve for electronics kicks in way earlier and harder than for transducers. Moreover a lot of the theoretical improvements can be swamped by the filtering effects of cables, component mis-matches and use of the product in a non-ideal environment.

Companies like RME and IFI Audio confirm that excellent sound can be had for a fraction of the price of what is considered to be state of the art. For example, the IFI Audio iESL connected to a good integrated amp and dac has for me been competitive with any high end setup I have heard and enables me to use all my headphone types including electrostats as well as speakers with one setup. New members of the hobby should try something like the Cayin CS-55a or Naim Uniti Atom connected to the iESL and laugh all the way to the bank. Yes, the expensive stuff typically sounds a bit better, but for me the last 5% of refinement you lose is more than offset by the increased thickness of my wallet and less worry about having to own the latest and greatest. Now, when I buy it's more to add interesting products like the Solitaire P to a collection as opposed to chasing an ideal.

Wish someone had told me this years ago .... actually they did, but I just didn't listen!
It was a move like I did with Solitaire P. I wasn't happy with the comfort, bought the "lesser" HEKse, evaluated it and found the complete package for suitable for me. I have been evaluating the ADI-2 for some time, alone, into the HA200 etc., and decided that the complete package is more for my needs.

Sep 24, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #1,407 of 3,205
I like this last sentence. I do not know if I can listen :wink:
I think you have to live the jurney through to be able to come to the same conclusion with belief.

Sep 24, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #1,408 of 3,205
Sep 29, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #1,409 of 3,205
Hello! Soon to be T+A combo owner here...has anyone travelled with HA200 or any large amp/dac (like Bartok) on airplane before? My job requires me to relocate a few times a year around the world and I am really worried about destroying them. AFAIK HA200 can fit inside a carry-on with some padding, but I would appreciate some advice on perhaps a better way to bring them around.
Thanks!

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #1,410 of 3,205
that sounds like a tricky situation,all this stuff is fragile and flying on airplanes with all the associated bumping and shoving and turbulence might prove problematic....I feel protective when I travel with my hugo 2 and HP's lol....I own the sol p which I think is stellar but use a chord dave with it so I would curious to hear your thoughts on the new amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back