T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Sep 10, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #1,321 of 3,204
Just visited a local shop that carries T+A Solitaire P and P-SE with their dedicated HA200 dac+amp.
I brought my LCD-4z and conducted a listening session.

I listen mostly to classical music, so that was my focus in this audition.
First I compared the P to the P-SE. Comfort-wise, both were good, the P-SE is lighter and therefore a bit more comfortable, but not by a margin. I believe they are both built for long listening sessions without (comfort) fatigue.
Sound-wise, the P was marginally better than the P-SE, this was obvious from the first track. The P had better detail, ambiance, soundstage, dynamics - everything sounded a clear step or two above the P-SE.
Later I connected the LCD-4z to the HA200 (it has multiple inputs, so it was easy to do an A-B-A comparison).
The LCD-4z has a completely different presentation than the P (or P-SE), it was more hard-hitting, but less refined and detail was lost on complex orchestral sections. Detail and separation was much better on the P and soundstage was much larger.
I did not feel any lack of mid-bass (impact) or bass from the P as I had felt with other planars I've previously compared to the LCD-4z.
The P was more homogenic and balanced.

Overall, I came out of this session really liking the P and right now it is a major contender for my next headphones.
I really want to compare it to the Susvara, but I won't be able to, as there's no dealer that carries a Susvara on display.

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #1,322 of 3,204
I think your description is very on target....the susvara is a completely different experience...I think the P is like an upgraded LCD-4 to my ears...more detail,better soundstage and great bass...the susvara is lighter and more ethereal....fantastic but different....the P can be driven straight out of the chord dave so it has that going for it....to me the only negative regarding the P is the price...I think if it was priced at 5k like the abyss it would be a very tough choice between the 2....from what I understand you would not be able to compare the susvara using the solitaire amp because as I understand it would not be powerful enough

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #1,323 of 3,204
Listening to some Genshin Impact soundtracks with the Solitaire P right now.

The Bass from the Inazuma battle Themes is impressive.

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,324 of 3,204
Listening to some Genshin Impact soundtracks with the Solitaire P right now.

The Bass from the Inazuma battle Themes is impressive.
Did you played genshin impact with P, besides of listening the soundtracks? If so, how is the experience? I was reading about P and I saw that it has a huge soundstage, plus great detail retriving and layering, I am seeking a high end headphone with this specs, will play pc games with it, besides music.

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #1,325 of 3,204
Did you played genshin impact with P, besides of listening the soundtracks? If so, how is the experience? I was reading about P and I saw that it has a huge soundstage, plus great detail retriving and layering, I am seeking a high end headphone with this specs, will play pc games with it, besides music.
I don't play Genshin Impact (yet)
I'm afraid I don't find the time for daily and weekly Missions and get frustrated when I know I leave stuff on the table.
However the soundtrack more than inpressed me so far.

The P has a huge soundstage, detail on the level of an amazingly amped Susvara but stronger Bass to pair with it.

I do play games with it as well and it's a great fit for that imo. (Ghost of Tsushima DLC lately)

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #1,326 of 3,204
from what I understand you would not be able to compare the susvara using the solitaire amp because as I understand it would not be powerful enough
Well I’ve auditioned the Solitaire at a shop that carries this brand (T+A). It does not carry other headphones manufacturers brands.
So, unless I get a Susvara for a home audition and visit this local shop to compare head2head, I will not be able to compare both. Bottom line, it doesn’t really matter if the HA200 can drive the Susvara or not.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #1,327 of 3,204
I got rid of my Ps, but I think the comparison of the Ps to Susvaras is a good one. The level of detail is similar. It almost makes one or the other redundant. If you have a powerful headphone amp, you’ll probably like the Susvaras better. If so not, you’ll probably like the Ps better.

While I had some issues with the sub-bass on hip hop songs, comparing the Ps to the Meze Elites really opened my eyes to just how much better the resolution was on the Ps. Comparing the Ps to TCs or Susvaras doesn’t allow one to truly appreciate the P resolution, because the TCs and Susvaras also have amazing detail and resolution. However, comparing the Ps to other supposed TOTL headphones like the Meze Elites really shows how much better the detail is on the Ps compared to many $4K headphones. The P detail is redundant for me personally, but if I didn’t have the Susvaras or TCs, I may have appreciated the P more.

Also, I’m in the process of trading my Elites for another pair of headphones. I’m 0/2 with my last two headphone purchases :face_palm:

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #1,328 of 3,204
I got rid of my Ps, but I think the comparison of the Ps to Susvaras is a good one. The level of detail is similar. It almost makes one or the other redundant. If you have a powerful headphone amp, you’ll probably like the Susvaras better. If so not, you’ll probably like the Ps better.

While I had some issues with the sub-bass on hip hop songs, comparing the Ps to the Meze Elites really opened my eyes to just how much better the resolution was on the Ps. Comparing the Ps to TCs or Susvaras doesn’t allow one to truly appreciate the P resolution, because the TCs and Susvaras also have amazing detail and resolution. However, comparing the Ps to other supposed TOTL headphones like the Meze Elites really shows how much better the detail is on the Ps compared to many $4K headphones. The P detail is redundant for me personally, but if I didn’t have the Susvaras or TCs, I may have appreciated the P more.

Also, I’m in the process of trading my Elites for another pair of headphones. I’m 0/2 with my last two headphone purchases :face_palm:
Had a feeling the Elite wouldn't last long with you :beyersmile:

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #1,329 of 3,204

lol the P and Elite were on my radar...
are you going to try the Audeze CRBN?

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #1,330 of 3,204
lol the P and Elite were on my radar...
are you going to try the Audeze CRBN?
I’ve told myself I need to max out my “traditional” headphones chain before I get into electrostatics. I’m very happy with everything but my cables currently, so I’m close to jumping in that arena.

I am very interested in the CRBNs. I think I’d get the 3ES Elite, 009s and CRBNS first. If I like those, I’d consider buying the Shangri-la Sr headphones.

We’ll see. I’ll probably try some electrostatics early next year

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #1,331 of 3,204
I’ve told myself I need to max out my “traditional” headphones chain before I get into electrostatics. I’m very happy with everything but my cables currently, so I’m close to jumping in that arena.

I am very interested in the CRBNs. I think I’d get the 3ES Elite, 009s and CRBNS first. If I like those, I’d consider buying the Shangri-la Sr headphones.

We’ll see. I’ll probably try some electrostatics early next year

I've been trying really hard to resist electrostatic headphones/systems. The recent post on headcase about the CRBN has really piqued by curiosity though. The outlay for an all new system is a lot harder to swallow than say, a P or Elite. Was considering the CRBN + the LTA amp. But going to have to wait for more reviews as I don't have good experience with Audeze so far..

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #1,332 of 3,204

Thanks, @Ciggavelli !

I will not buy the Elites since I enjoy the resolution, detail and clarity I find with the susvara and P.
The day I heard the susvara was also the day I knew I the (original) Empy's would not be with me much longer.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #1,333 of 3,204

I really liked the P due to its mid-bass impact, that I found a bit lacking in my experience with HiFiMan high-end headphones (I have NOT heard the Susvara properly).
It was really on-par with the LCD-4z and had much better resolution, separation (etc..).
If the Susvara is to laid-back in this region, it may not be for me...

Sep 12, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #1,334 of 3,204
I really liked the P due to its mid-bass impact, that I found a bit lacking in my experience with HiFiMan high-end headphones (I have NOT heard the Susvara properly).
It was really on-par with the LCD-4z and had much better resolution, separation (etc..).
If the Susvara is to laid-back in this region, it may not be for me...
The Susvara is weaker in the Bass region than the Solitaire P.

Which was one of the reasons I went for the Solitaire

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #1,335 of 3,204
So now I have the Stealth and have been listening over the weekend, I wanted make a few comments.

If you like Solitaire P or P-SE and looking for a closed one "similar" to it, with great resolution and imaging; Stealth might be the answer. Where it differs:

- I mentioned before that, the Solitaire is for me sometimes sharp on treble. Stealth fixes that. Exceptional treble. Somewhere between D8000 Pro and Solitaire P, without that spike I kept hearing on hard cymbal crashes.

- Another brought up issue was the recessed upper mids. I sometimes liked to boost it a bit but not always. Stealth is more on the "target". You may or may not like it.

- Bass is tighter controlled than Solitaire and not as big sounding. Think of it like a closed box subwoofer. It can be impactful but often it is on the controlled side. I feel like Stealth has more variations of bass, like an increased tonal palette. Some bass sections that sound similar on other headphones, sound different on Stealth. I compared it to my 4x9" HEDD closed box subwoofers and I find the sound similar. You may or may not like it, but I do.

- One thing I complained about P from day one was the fit. Stealth fixes that. But compared to Solitaires it is a more fragile design. I like it, as it is both portable and better fit for my head, but if you prefer a more robust design, you may not prefer it. I don't see a problem there, but others can. Stealth also comes with a carry case.

- Stealth is not as easy to drive as Solitaires, even worse than P-SE. On HA200 I had to increase 6-7 dB to reach the level of P-SE. Harder to drive also with portable devices.

- Closed back, yes, but acoustically very well treated.

All in all, I am happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back