T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
May 23, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #2,326 of 3,180
This can be said about all T+A headphones 🤣 They should have hired somebody who knows how things are done in head-fi community.
To this day I have a feeling that this still holds true for most manufacturers, even those that are around for a while already

May 23, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #2,327 of 3,180
back to stock pads for a while but with ORATORY1990-PEQ for SolitaireP.

With stock pads that PEQ doesn't sound way too bright as it did once applied with the ultra wides on.
Have reduced the 30Hz, 105Hz bass shelves by 3db compared to the ORATORY settings though, they can be adjusted according to own taste and music style.
I have also reduced the increase of 1950Hz and 2000Hz in the ORATORY-PEQ.

It's a pity that the pad change cannot be done instantly so comparison to ultra wide pads cannot be made instantly.
To my feeling the ORATORY settings have a similar opening effect as the ultra wide pads but addressing a larger frequency spectrum.
Switching eq off is giving a relatively subdued presentation everywhere starting upfront upper mids which can be very unfatiguing but is missing the bite of the ORATORY PEQ or the ultra wide pads.
It's for sure worth trying both variants.

Here the original ORATORY-PEQ for SolP
1653299225915.png

and here my modded version with reduced increase of bass shelves and reduced increase of upper mids at 1950Hz and 2000Hz to make it a tad more forgiving.
Still getting some sibilances every once in a while
1653299042971.png

1653297940712.png

May 23, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #2,328 of 3,180
back to stock pads for a while but with ORATORY1990-PEQ for SolitaireP.

With stock pads that PEQ doesn't sound way too bright as it did once applied with the ultra wides on.
Have reduced the 30Hz, 105Hz bass shelves by 3db compared to the ORATORY settings though, they can be adjusted according to own taste and music style.
I have also reduced the increase of 1950Hz and 2000Hz in the ORATORY-PEQ.

It's a pity that the pad change cannot be done instantly so comparison to ultra wide pads cannot be made instantly.
To my feeling the ORATORY settings have a similar opening effect as the ultra wide pads but addressing a larger frequency spectrum.
Switching eq off is giving a relatively subdued presentation everywhere starting upfront upper mids which can be very unfatiguing but is missing the bite of the ORATORY PEQ or the ultra wide pads.
It's for sure worth trying both variants.

Here the original ORATORY-PEQ for SolP
1653299225915.png

and here my modded version with reduced increase of bass shelves and reduced increase of upper mids at 1950Hz and 2000Hz to make it a tad more forgiving.
Still getting some sibilances every once in a while
1653299042971.png
1653297940712.png
I still don't get the bass EQ from oratory. The Solitaire P isn't bass light by any means and yet it receives 5.5db increase?!

May 23, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #2,329 of 3,180
That's a bummer!
Guess they really only have like 2 models at all around and don't want these to get worn but on the other hand exactly that model is supposed to reach a larger consumer audience imho so should have been introduced better than this...
It can be that those two were the only working prototype, and still subject to fine tuning. They could still show them to the public, at least to the insisting ones, and collect feedback, as Meze did with the Empyreans.
I even went back towards the end when there were hardly any visitors any more and kindly ask for an audition but I was rejected, despite available personal idle chatting around with each other. I guess they had enough and wanted to pack and go home. As a potential T+A customer I feel quite upset to make this 900km trip in vain.

To this day I have a feeling that this still holds true for most manufacturers, even those that are around for a while already

The approach was quite the opposite in the Meze and in the Fekis booths, fortunately.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #2,330 of 3,180
Being very honest it's bugging me that modern TOTL headphones seem to be very often discussed needing PEQ changes, examples are LCD-5 and now Solitaire P.

Looking back at the beginning of my Audio journey I don't remember equing my LCD-2 or Denon AH-D9200 so massively, same goes for my past IEMs like Campfire Andromeda Gold, MEST MKII, Elysium and Traillii.
I had no issues playing these in their stock tuning and found they were sounding fine.
For the TC I haven't applied any PEQ so far btw but only occasionally tried different HQPlayer filters.

Susvaras are a mixed bag for me regarding bass response, so there I am often using the ORATORY1990 PEQ too but might not need once using some 10k EF1000 amp (which I won't buy 😉)

I like experimenting and have the means with my playback software but still it's making me think sometimes.

Impressions are subjective for sure and in the case of this thread SolP might sound a good amount more open and transparent out of the tailor made T&A HA200 - I still won't buy an extra chain for each headphone I own 😉

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #2,331 of 3,180
I think it all comes down to personality and whether one is a "purist" or happy to tweak. I personally see EQ changes the same as swapping pads or cables (the latter especially) as it essentially presents the sound in a manner different from how the designer / manufacturer intended.

If you are more toward the purist side of the spectrum, you'd likely try avoid that with a view that it should meet your requirements / desires as-is otherwise it is the wrong choice. Alternatively, one can be more toward the tweaker side of the spectrum and of the view that if something meets your desires 97%, it's a plus to be able to make some minor tweaks (be it pads, cables, EQ, or swapping out tubes in a valve amp) to perfect any part of the performance that you feel is close but not quite spot on.

I'm probably in the latter camp. If a headphone sounds poor and requires substantial effort and changes to get it near acceptable, it is simply not for me. If I love many, many aspects of it (especially something like the SolP that can do things that no other headphone I've heard can), but want to enhance certain areas slightly for my preferences, all the better.

As an aside, I do find it quite intriguing how big the variances are with the changes proposed for the Solitaire. On the one hand, T+A themselves offer pads that reduce bass impact and open up the mids and treble. Yet the suggested EQ settings do pretty much the exact opposite. That goes to show how personal the preferences are. Ultimately neither is wrong (or right) - if it sounds good to you, that is all that counts.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #2,332 of 3,180
Being very honest it's bugging me that modern TOTL headphones seem to be very often discussed needing PEQ changes, examples are LCD-5 and now Solitaire P.

Looking back at the beginning of my Audio journey I don't remember equing my LCD-2 or Denon AH-D9200 so massively, same goes for my past IEMs like Campfire Andromeda Gold, MEST MKII, Elysium and Traillii.
I had no issues playing these in their stock tuning and found they were sounding fine.
For the TC I haven't applied any PEQ so far btw but only occasionally tried different HQPlayer filters.

Susvaras are a mixed bag for me regarding bass response, so there I am often using the ORATORY1990 PEQ too but might not need once using some 10k EF1000 amp (which I won't buy 😉)

I like experimenting and have the means with my playback software but still it's making me think sometimes.

Impressions are subjective for sure and in the case of this thread SolP might sound a good amount more open and transparent out of the tailor made T&A HA200 - I still won't buy an extra chain for each headphone I own 😉
The premise didn't change, no headphone NEEDS EQ. It's either to your taste, or It's not.

I welcome it, that EQ as such is more widely accepted nowadays and that the old saying "eq reduces sound quality" doesn't hold true on modern Equipment anymore.

May 23, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #2,333 of 3,180
52015214551_491fe509d5_k.jpg52014185537_9db3bf4397_k.jpg52015214456_9ba2df8530_k.jpg52015729950_f56372d89e_k.jpg
20220419_210138-01.jpeg

just received a set of adaptors (Lemo to Solitaire-P) from Roy and Val @ Arctic Cables.

I had asked them to make me a set of adaptors a while back, but Roy asked if it was OK for me to wait a bit whilst they tried to perfect the adaptor build for this headphone. after some time, they emailed back saying they had come up with something good and had sent it out to me.

the adaptors connect with a satisfying click and are easy enough to pull out from the SolP connection port. as the P connector portion sits well inside the tunnel, removing it requires you to pull on the cabling+lemo portion. thankfully, they feel sturdy enough that there isn't much concern about yanking the adaptors and leaving some portion in the port.

they weigh exactly 15g each, about 2g lighter than the adaptors from Sean @ Affinity. I could feel the cable+long adaptors resting on my upper front chest, but with the shorter adaptors, I don't encounter that anymore. so comfort wise, I give the nod to Arctic.

build wise, both are constructed very well. I asked for these adaptors from Roy because I wanted something using the same material as my headphone cable, and he certainly delivered!

Did Sean's adapter look like this when you bought it? Thanks.

1653317605543.png

May 23, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #2,334 of 3,180

When I bought the Sol P the seller has literally told me that they need a long break in period (> 200hrs), so I’m wondering if the EQ you fill they need might very well be to compensate while they don’t settle?

IMHO, Sol P doesn’t “need” any EQ, and I like them for what they sound, with the stock ear pads, as the wide ear pads didn’t cut it for me. The only “tuning” I use is the Arctic Cables Aeris sillver cable, and I can’t be more happier :)

May 23, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #2,335 of 3,180
When I bought the Sol P the seller has literally told me that they need a long break in period (> 200hrs), so I’m wondering if the EQ you fill they need might very well be to compensate while they don’t settle?

IMHO, Sol P doesn’t “need” any EQ, and I like them for what they sound, with the stock ear pads, as the wide ear pads didn’t cut it for me. The only “tuning” I use is the Arctic Cables Aeris sillver cable, and I can’t be more happier :)
Yep, maybe I am too impatient
I even tried to stop my eq mania and played straight NOS out of Tidal app for some hours until I came to one song of Kings of Leon where I felt something is missing on top and came back to the mentioned PEQ again.
I want to buy the Lavricables Silver Grand but want to go through this phase first before that purchase

May 23, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #2,336 of 3,180
Yep, maybe I am too impatient
I even tried to stop my eq mania and played straight NOS out of Tidal app for some hours until I came to one song of Kings of Leon where I felt something is missing on top and came back to the mentioned PEQ again.
I want to buy the Lavricables Silver Grand but want to go through this phase first before that purchase
What made you buy the Solitaire? What attributes are you seeking? Sounds like the dark signature and recessed mids is not to your liking?

I wanted something darker with good bass/sub bass reproduction. I was looking for a super empy ....

May 23, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #2,337 of 3,180
What made you buy the Solitaire? What attributes are you seeking? Sounds like the dark signature and recessed mids is not to your liking?

I wanted something darker with good bass/sub bass reproduction. I was looking for a super empy ....
I wanted a mix of Susvara and TC, with the PEQ I think I am getting there potentially to my feeling, so all good though the stock tuning wasn't meant to be like that :wink:
Btw just resubscribed to Qobuz, SolP only deserves the best food.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #2,338 of 3,180
I wanted a mix of Susvara and TC, with the PEQ I think I am getting there potentially to my feeling, so all good though the stock tuning wasn't meant to be like that :wink:
I see. I'm looking for a Susvara replacement with better bass. Open to use ultra wide or stock pads for a darker signature.

May 23, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #2,339 of 3,180
I see. I'm looking for a Susvara replacement with better bass. Open to use ultra wide or stock pads for a darker signature.
I am getting more and confident that you won't be disappointed - it's still honeymoon phase but my wish to have one can to cover all the music I am listening too is definitely better covered with SolP than with either Susvara or TC, that's what I can say yet.
It's not the immense stage of TC but still good amount larger than Susvara.
The bass will never disappoint and it has the dryness I like from TC and coming close to the impact (eventually with some additional slight bass shelf).
Vocals are not the very same as on Susvara, I feel the voice temperature is not as warm, more neutral and even clearer.
Presentation is more precise and so is also the localisation of objects.
Now listening to the new Florence and the Machine album on Qobuz.
Insane depth and spatial cues and some biting vocals that are just right for my taste, highly recommended!

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #2,340 of 3,180
If I'm being completely honest with myself ... I dont truly like the Susvara or TC. Susvara would be perfect if it had more body to the sound. More impact. TC has more bass but I feel susvara controls it better. I do not like the TCs sound signature. Even more recessed mids and the treble is more etched. seems less refined and more in your face.

I'm interested to try the Sol P (1-2 weeks) and LCD5 (tomorrow).

Edit: Also Susvara in normal or low volume sounds very limp. Loses all excitement and dynamics.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back