T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
May 23, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #2,342 of 3,181
I have that trio, P, 5 and Sus. and rotate through them all.

You may find the P 'just right' with a bit more bass than the Sus!
How would you compare the Solitaire P to the LCD-5?

May 23, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #2,343 of 3,181
If I'm being completely honest with myself ... I dont truly like the Susvara or TC. Susvara would be perfect if it had more body to the sound. More impact. TC has more bass but I feel susvara controls it better. I do not like the TCs sound signature. Even more recessed mids and the treble is more etched. seems less refined and more in your face.

I'm interested to try the Sol P (1-2 weeks) and LCD5 (tomorrow).

Edit: Also Susvara in normal or low volume sounds very limp. Loses all excitement and dynamics.

Soli P will have more overall body but it's going to be at a tradeoff cost of clarity that the Susvara has. Soli P is really enjoyable and fun though, just a bit darker overall. I've followed a few of your posts about what you're looking for currently and I don't know that there's a single headphone that's going to meet it all. Might be best to have a few that you cycle out as complements.

Just one suggestion, if you're coming from the Susvara and TC, I would strongly suggest being open to EQ (which I wasn't) with the LCD-5. I think otherwise it could be a let down. Although it has been great right out of the box for some people. Good luck.

May 23, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #2,344 of 3,181
Soli P will have more overall body but it's going to be at a tradeoff cost of clarity that the Susvara has. Soli P is really enjoyable and fun though, just a bit darker overall. I've followed a few of your posts about what you're looking for currently and I don't know that there's a single headphone that's going to meet it all. Might be best to have a few that you cycle out as complements.

Just one suggestion, if you're coming from the Susvara and TC, I would strongly suggest being open to EQ (which I wasn't) with the LCD-5. I think otherwise it could be a let down. Although it has been great right out of the box for some people. Good luck.
Yeah I plan to keep 2 cans. Understanding now that I wont find the holy grail. I just need to find the right two haha. I'll mess with EQ on the LCD5. For EQ I'm in the less is more camp. I remember when I owned the Empyreans I only EQ'd the mid bass hump by a few db to decrease the warmth and add a bit of clarity. Very simple tweak but made it sound so much better to my ears.

May 23, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #2,345 of 3,181

Did you ever try the ultra wide pads? Thanks.

May 23, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #2,346 of 3,181
Will need to do more side-by-side comparisons at some point but I wouldn't call Susvara clearer than SolP (at least not with some equing or ultra wide pads), eventually I'd say Susvara is more textured and maybe slightly more detailed.
After all I think the source and amping is playing a much bigger role on Susvara as on SolP and I might not have experienced its full potential though I am not having the weakest chain but I cannot really say myself how it sounds out of an EF1000 / Riviera, can be a completely different story.

May 23, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #2,347 of 3,181
Will need to do more side-by-side comparisons at some point but I wouldn't call Susvara clearer than SolP (at least not with some equing or ultra wide pads), eventually I'd say Susvara is more textured and maybe slightly more detailed.
After all I think the source and amping is playing a much bigger role on Susvara as on SolP and I might not have experienced its full potential though I am not having the weakest chain but I cannot really say myself how it sounds out of an EF1000 / Riviera, can be a completely different story.
The promise of Susvara perfection if one just gets the best amplification :) ... I have a feeling we got close to its full form lol. I was running it off a Benchmark AHB2 and even thought of buying a second for mono blocks. I ended up comparing it off the rear TT2 XLR and liked the increased transparency and returned the AHB2.

I'm sure speaker amps are fine but I did have a blown driver with the Susvara when using a strong low bass shelf and the AHB2 in high gain mode lol. Drunken mistake.

May 23, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #2,348 of 3,181
Did you ever try the ultra wide pads? Thanks.

No I hadn't, only the stock pads.

I didn't mean it in a bad way at all. I've just learned in this hobby (mainly in more recent years) that the differences in sounds essentially are always tied tradeoffs. The Soli P is definitely more smooth and warmer than the Sus or TC, which has it's own advantages. But the tradeoff in the favor of the TC/Susvara at the same time is that they sound more detailed and clearer. All are pretty enjoyable to me overall.

But I'm only talking about stock, without EQ or pads or cables, as that's mainly how I experience headphones. (And obviously we do all hear different)

May 23, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #2,349 of 3,181
No I hadn't, only the stock pads.

I didn't mean it in a bad way at all. I've just learned in this hobby (mainly in more recent years) that the differences in sounds essentially are always tied tradeoffs. The Soli P is definitely more smooth and warmer than the Sus or TC, which has it's own advantages. But the tradeoff in the favor of the TC/Susvara at the same time is that they sound more detailed and clearer. All are pretty enjoyable to me overall.

But I'm only talking about stock, without EQ or pads or cables, as that's mainly how I experience headphones. (And obviously we do all hear different)
Not to derail this thread but how are you liking the "Baby Orpheus" HE60 ... heard it has divine mids :)

May 23, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #2,350 of 3,181

the sol p is darker but does not lack clarity

May 23, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #2,351 of 3,181
Not to derail this thread but how are you liking the "Baby Orpheus" HE60 ... heard it has divine mids :)

It does. Will send a PM. :)

the sol p is darker but does not lack clarity

I was speaking relative to the TC and Susvara, in which the OP was discussing, which imo it does to a degree. Again, it's nothing against the Soli P, it has a really enjoyable tonality and sound.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #2,352 of 3,181
Yep, maybe I am too impatient
I even tried to stop my eq mania and played straight NOS out of Tidal app for some hours until I came to one song of Kings of Leon where I felt something is missing on top and came back to the mentioned PEQ again.
I want to buy the Lavricables Silver Grand but want to go through this phase first before that purchase
Can you hear any difference between the Tidal and Qobuz version of that particular song?

May 24, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #2,353 of 3,181
Can you hear any difference between the Tidal and Qobuz version of that particular song?
I will test this evening and let you know, sometimes there are also different recordings present in the streaming services.
What can also be is that some songs just sound a bit lacking to ones personal taste and equing will just cover that preference.

I know the Tidal MQA topic has been often discussed back and forth and I used to hunt the highest unfolding rates in the past.
Now my Holo Audio DAC cannot even decode MQA and I needed to live with the first unfolds out of Roon / Audirvana or Tidal app.
Qobuz is widely regarded to be still one of the best streaming sources in terms of SQ and my past listening experiences haven't disappointed.
What is more there is no mental afterthought that you could miss some information as you don't have the full blown uncompression applied.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #2,354 of 3,181
It's not the immense stage of TC but still good amount larger than Susvara.
The bass will never disappoint and it has the dryness I like from TC and coming close to the impact (eventually with some additional slight bass shelf).
Vocals are not the very same as on Susvara, I feel the voice temperature is not as warm, more neutral and even clearer.
Presentation is more precise and so is also the localisation of objects.
Now listening to the new Florence and the Machine album on Qobuz.
Insane depth and spatial cues and some biting vocals that are just right for my taste, highly recommended!
Is the soundstage of Solitaire P bigger than Susvara in every dimension (depth, height and width)?

May 24, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #2,355 of 3,181
Is the soundstage of Solitaire P bigger than Susvara in every dimension (depth, height and width)?
Soundstage is hard to gauge for myself. Sound stage of susvara sounds just as wide to the TCs to me. Different presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back