T+A HiFi - DAC 200 - Official Discussion Thread
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #181 of 479
Had better luck today as 1) the unit was properly warmed up and 2) setup PCM upsampling via HQPlayer within Roon. Timbre was much better.
Mine needs about 30/45 minutes to warm up.
And although I am not an ultra-believer in warm-up and break-in things, the difference is really noticeable for me.
After a cold start, it is a bit flat-ish indeed, when warm it is joyful.

I primarily bought my DAC200 for my speaker set-up, but I am also very happy with the headphone output. I bought a pair of Hifiman HE1000 V2 stealth to pair with my DAC200, and I am now spending even more time enjoying headphone listening than speaker listening.

So, I am super happy with DAC200 in my speaker set-up, in my new headphone set-up, and even more about the all-in one combination of both.

About the speaker set-up, I coincidentally had an issue with my Plinius pream-up ($3.500), and I use now also the preamp function of DAC200 (I will not by replacing my preamp). It is even better than before. On audiophilestyle, another person removed a $7,000 Rothel preamp, since DAC200 did the job even better.

So DAC200 is a real multitasker.

I cannot compare with the Tambaqui (never auditioned). I understand the Tambaqui is a very respectable device too (at twice the price).

For complementary info, I recommend checking Audiophilestyle too, as the DAC200 architect (OE333) is a regular poster there, in the dedicated channel (very helpful, candid and honest, as far as I can tell).

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #183 of 479
Mine needs about 30/45 minutes to warm up.
And although I am not an ultra-believer in warm-up and burn-in things, the difference is really noticeable for me.
After a cold start, it is a bit flat-ish indeed, when warm it is joyful.

I primarily bought my DAC200 for my speaker set-up, but I am also very happy with the headphone output. I bought a pair of Hifiman HE1000 V2 stealth to pair with my DAC200, and I am now spending even more time enjoying headphone listening than speaker listening.

So, I am super happy with DAC200 in my speaker set-up, in my new headphone set-up, and even more about the all-in one combination of both.

About the speaker set-up, I coincidentally had an issue with my Plinius pream-up ($3.500), and I use now also the preamp function of DAC200 (I will not by replacing my preamp). It is even better than before. On audiophilestyle, another person removed a $7,000 Rothel preamp, since DAC200 did the job even better.

So DAC200 is a real multitasker.

I cannot compare with the Tambaqui (never auditioned). I understand the Tambaqui is a very respectable device too (at twice the price).

For complementary info, I recommend checking Audiophilestyle too, as the DAC200 architect (OE333) is a regular poster there, in the dedicated channel (very helpful, candid and honest, as far as I can tell).
Random thoughts on Tambaqui versus DAC200.

The Tambaqui presents high detail in an “effortless” and smooth manner. It is not laid back but it also isn’t trying to impress you with its presentation, it just “is” impressing you with its detail presentation, imaging and soundstage.

To me, the DAC200 presents detail with a bit more edginess and eagerness. Staging and imaging are very good. Now unlike some hyper detail DACs, it doesn’t sound digital, glaring or fatiguing but it is not as effortless as the Tambaqui.

I very much like both just different takes on detail.

Oct 24, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #184 of 479
I think the DAC200 is more like several DACs in one. With its native DSD capability, HQP opens so many doors. This was the appeal of DAC 200 in the first place, to me. And so, I don't know how to compare the DAC 200 to the Mola Mola because the HQP filters and modulators make such a big difference to the end result. Edginess and eagerness? That can be changed in HQP. So, I'm sure the Mola Mola is nice sounding, but try the DAC 200 with HQP at only DSD64, ASDM7ECV2, and poly-sinc-lp, which is a workload even my 2016 Mac can handle. That combo gives great effortless detail. In the end, I feel like you can almost make this DAC sound however you want. Not quite, but the possibilities are in fact nearly endless.

Oct 24, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #185 of 479
Staging and imaging are very good. Now unlike some hyper detail DACs, it doesn’t sound digital, glaring or fatiguing but it is not as effortless as the Tambaqui.
Totally agree. Beguiling is a way to describe T+A DAC200. Like having all the good things about digital but without the usual fatigue or glare.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #186 of 479
Totally agree. Beguiling is a way to describe it. Like having all the good things about digital but without the usual fatigue or glare.
If Mola Mola made just a standalone DAC with Tambaqui performance, I would bite immediately.

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #187 of 479
If Mola Mola made just a standalone DAC with Tambaqui performance, I would bite immediately.
Confused by this. The MMT is their dedicated DAC. Or do you mean sans pre and headphone out (albeit both features are secondary to streaming DAC primary features)?

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #188 of 479
Confused by this. The MMT is their dedicated DAC. Or do you mean sans pre and headphone out (albeit both features are secondary to streaming DAC primary features)?
Yes I don't want to pay extra for integrated streaming/pre/headphone amp.

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #189 of 479
I think the DAC200 is more like several DACs in one. With its native DSD capability, HQP opens so many doors. This was the appeal of DAC 200 in the first place, to me. And so, I don't know how to compare the DAC 200 to the Mola Mola because the HQP filters and modulators make such a big difference to the end result. Edginess and eagerness? That can be changed in HQP. So, I'm sure the Mola Mola is nice sounding, but try the DAC 200 with HQP at only DSD64, ASDM7ECV2, and poly-sinc-lp, which is a workload even my 2016 Mac can handle. That combo gives great effortless detail. In the end, I feel like you can almost make this DAC sound however you want. Not quite, but the possibilities are in fact nearly endless.
I get my dac 200 in today. Haven't tried hqp yet. I wonder how difficult it is to do dsd1024. I have a i7-13700k/rtx 4090 build so I imagine it shouldn't be a challenge.

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #190 of 479
Just fired up the dac200. This is a game changer over yggdrasil og a2. Sounds are much more three dimensional, details and textures are popping out, timbre sounds much more realistic, resolution is much higher. I am just streaming qobuz with bez 2 filter to start.

Attachments

• 20231024_154023.jpg
    20231024_154023.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 24, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #193 of 479
Haven't A/B tested the yggy and dac200 yet but just my initial impression is the dac200 is better in every way. In my time with the yggy it seem the yggy has a hair more punch in upper bass while the dac200 has heavier punch and impact with deep lower bass, and is more full in mid/upper bass. Bass is more of a visceral experience with dac200. All across the frequency range from bass to treble the dac200 has a more sophisticated texture than the yggy. Never heard anything like this before. This is as big of an upgrade if not bigger in its own way as going from lcdx to susvara.

Hearing details I've never heard before.. some sounds are coming off as absolutely incredible. The change is not subtle. The change is night and day better than yggy. Mid range is beautiful and the timbre is a huge improvement the yggy. The sound is full of life and makes the yggy sound sterile and lower resolution. From memory this sounds better than some 6 figure systems I've heard at an audio store years ago. Mid and upper range are so good, the whole fequency range is absolutely delicious in sound. Sounds are so much more three dimensional it makes the yggy sound flat.

For this initial impression I'm using t+a dac 200 usb in with ovs at bez2 -> mjolnir3 -> susvara. Going to try the Niimbus with it tonight as well as AB 1266 phi tc.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #195 of 479
My input meters on the t+a dac 200 is constantly hitting red from Qobuz. Should I turn down the digital volume output in Qobuz on my computer? I tried this and then turned up my amp to compensate. The manual says "0 dB point corresponds to the D/A converter full scale (0-dB FS)."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back