T+A HiFi - DAC 200 - Official Discussion Thread
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #166 of 479
I just ordered the dac200. I got the hdmi arc option as well. Biggest audio purchase I've ever made. Hope it works out well.
Congratulations!

Oct 8, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #168 of 479
My DAC200 arrives this coming week to anchor my work setup. Looking forward to comparing against the Tambaqui in the home setup.

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #169 of 479
My DAC200 arrives this coming week to anchor my work setup. Looking forward to comparing against the Tambaqui in the home setup.
Received the DAC 200 today and...I was underwhelmed to be honest. Timbre and a few other sonic characteristics were just off at least when paired with the A&S Bigger Ben (which is usually pretty easy to mesh with various sources). Detail was definitely there but it was edgy/not smooth. Having read this forum, I suspect it was cold and may need some more run time. In contrast, the Tambaqui settled almost immediately into my chain but I can tell the T+A needs some patience. No intention of sending it back just another vote for not putting too much stock in first listen. I definitely need to fiddle with the OVS and filter settings. For those who've owned the DAC longer, is running HQPlayer via Roon into the T+A in NOS2 mode a recommended setup? I am planning on trying that tomorrow.

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #170 of 479
Still waiting on mine to arrive. I've heard the t+a dac 200 is praised by many and a lot of people have used hqplayer. Excited to get mine in. I was looking at holo may kte, terminator plus and t+a dac 200 along with tambaqui. Chose t+a dac 200 because it had two outputs and most everyone is saying it beats the may/t+. Of course it is mostly subjective and some could like dac200 or tambaqui more than the other.

Have yet to give my oppinion but I'm looking forward to it and imagine it will be a massive upgrade (and my endgame) over the yggy og a2. I've read there are also 6 different filters to select from which change the sound. Lots of features to mess with on the dac 200. I'll be trying the upsampling as well as hq player.

Oct 14, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #171 of 479
Still waiting on mine to arrive. I've heard the t+a dac 200 is praised by many and a lot of people have used hqplayer. Excited to get mine in. I was looking at holo may kte, terminator plus and t+a dac 200 along with tambaqui. Chose t+a dac 200 because it had two outputs and most everyone is saying it beats the may/t+. Of course it is mostly subjective and some could like dac200 or tambaqui more than the other.

Have yet to give my oppinion but I'm looking forward to it and imagine it will be a massive upgrade (and my endgame) over the yggy og a2. I've read there are also 6 different filters to select from which change the sound. Lots of features to mess with on the dac 200. I'll be trying the upsampling as well as hq player.
Would love to get your opinion. T+A DAC 200 is the best I have heard since my Japanese Vinyl pressing of Rio In 1983. I always felt something wasn’t quite completely right about Digital until T+A DAC200. As far as I am concerned, Digital with T+A DAC200 is finally better than vinyl in not just many aspects but ENTIRELY in EVERY respect. I believe T+A have properly fixed all the time domain issues that cause digital glare/harshness - this is especially true if you convert Redbook to DSD256 using high precision upsampling and modulators on a decently powerful PC. IMHO, the remaining issues that have dogged nearly all digital in the last 25 years are all related to the desire to upsample with low latency - this necessitates simple short tap filters that cause very small but audibile time domain issues.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #172 of 479
I recently tried my DAC200 with an audio server instead of my usual setup (conventional PC + streamer, be it a sonore Rendu or the SotM 200 ultra neo + Uptone JS2 with upgrade fuse) and was quite impressed with the result. I always had this curiosity but actually didnt expect much difference since I see a streamer as a clean USB and I use a good LPS anyway. In all cases I was only sending music through Qobuz/HQplayer/Roon, did not even try local files.

So it seems to validate the statement that the DAC200 is very sensitive to upgrades in the source - Im not forgeting that most dacs are anyway, but ins some songs I was nearly shocked by the amount of the upgrade..

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #173 of 479
I recently tried my DAC200 with an audio server instead of my usual setup...

So it seems to validate the statement that the DAC200 is very sensitive to upgrades in the source - Im not forgeting that most dacs are anyway, but ins some songs I was nearly shocked by the amount of the upgrade..
Did you try a dedicated stand-alone streamer yet? Something like an Auralic Aries, Aurender N..., Lumin,...

Oct 14, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #174 of 479
no, and I guess I guess I wont, since I intend to keep using HQPlayer to upsample and take advantage of DAC200capabilities (Im mostly using 256x with better modulators though Ive used 1024x in the past when I had optical rendu). Unless Im missing something I will always need a PC or a server capable of running it..

I did consider an innuos pulsar (can be used as endpoint or standalone with HQP as far as I understand, but I may be corrected), it does look cheap in comparisson to even the cheapest hi end servers (the one I tested in my system included)

Oct 16, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #175 of 479
Received the DAC 200 today and...I was underwhelmed to be honest. Timbre and a few other sonic characteristics were just off at least when paired with the A&S Bigger Ben (which is usually pretty easy to mesh with various sources). Detail was definitely there but it was edgy/not smooth. Having read this forum, I suspect it was cold and may need some more run time. In contrast, the Tambaqui settled almost immediately into my chain but I can tell the T+A needs some patience. No intention of sending it back just another vote for not putting too much stock in first listen. I definitely need to fiddle with the OVS and filter settings. For those who've owned the DAC longer, is running HQPlayer via Roon into the T+A in NOS2 mode a recommended setup? I am planning on trying that tomorrow.

The DAC 200 can give you a temperature measurement on the front panel. So there’s no guessing whether or not it’s operating within the recommended temperature range.

Oct 16, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #176 of 479
The DAC 200 can give you a temperature measurement on the front panel. So there’s no guessing whether or not it’s operating within the recommended temperature range.
yes, i checked that and it was “cold” so trying some listening tests again on monday since the dac has been running over the weekend

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #178 of 479
I am using Roon upsampling to DSD256. I would describe it as very neutral sounding and extremely detailed without being harsh/glare/edgy. Definitely NOT smooth sounding though. If you are looking for smooth then DAC200 is not a good choice - this DAC is wringing the most out of the recording and is opposite of tube bloom/warmth. Reverb and details are the easiest to hear - more so than with any other DAC I have owned. Soundstage is wide, deep and precise. No edginess at all except with redbook 44.1 and the built in oversampling filters (in this mode it is equivalent or better than most DAC’s I have heard but not remarkable). Oversampling in any DAC is going to be limited by processing power and the desire for low latency and T+A DAC200 is no exception. NOS mode with redbook is really nice analog sounding but came across a bit hazy on my system (without filtering you are open to all kinds of HF ghost images and some of these will likely induce IMD depending on your setup).

Oct 16, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #179 of 479
Good luck. Timbre is slightly sweet with the DAC 200 in my system. Pretty accurate overall. I generally dislike A&S gear so I don’t know what you’ll get with the pairing.
Thank you. I have a few power and rectifier tube rolling options to try as well to see if I can dial in the A&S w/the DAC.

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #180 of 479
Good luck. Timbre is slightly sweet with the DAC 200 in my system. Pretty accurate overall. I generally dislike A&S gear so I don’t know what you’ll get with the pairing.
Had better luck today as 1) the unit was properly warmed up and 2) setup PCM upsampling via HQPlayer within Roon. Timbre was much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back