Synthetic Diamonds
Dec 6, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #16 of 24
I don't think he is saying that is comparable in value, just that it is an alternative metal to use. Titanium's marketing worth comes from its physical abilities like strength. That is why is associated with credit cards and the like. I don't really think price should be any consideration in certain types of gifts, if more thought goes into the gift. I'd say that a titanium ring that has more personalized touches is worth far more than any precious metal. If price were everything, something like a plutonium ring would be the ultimate (death) gift.

Dec 6, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #17 of 24
Uh, before you guys start running around deciding what precious metal and stone you'll get your fiancee, you'd better get HER opinion first! If she wants a traditional gold ring and a diamond I would suggest that's what you get her. After all, she's the one who has to wear it and has probably dreamed of the perfect ring for a great many years. To disappoint her with what you want would be a considerable slap in the fact.

OTOH, if you want a ring that is titanium, platinum, or even uranium, that's fine. Go with whatever you want. My ring is platinum on the inside with gold around it on both sides. It is quite heavy and incredibly confortable. It's nice because most people think it is mostly silver and not worth stealing, so they overlook it.

Dec 6, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Any woman that I would be willing to marry would be smart enough to not want one.

You will die alone
wink.gif

Seriously, I read the link, and I agree with all points. My resolve is a bit less stringent in that I would only get wedding bands at the time of marraige. Then on our 10th anniversary, a diamond ring would be my present to her.

Actually, I work for a jewelry company. I will have to ask around what the buyers & planners think of this development in technology and its impact on future sales.

Dec 6, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #21 of 24
Other precious stones are already regularly synthesized (and colored) for jewelry. The market of these seems to co-exist nicely with the market for natural stones. Good synthetics can be almost as expensive!

Dec 6, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Actually, I work for a jewelry company. I will have to ask around what the buyers & planners think of this development in technology and its impact on future sales.

You have your foot in the door. I don't understand how you could contemplate buying one of those stones after you have seen the obscene markups they go through. Perhaps if you got into a trade show or something to be able to buy one before a jewlrey store gets its gready paws on it, you could get a decent deal.

Personally, sapphires and emeralds look better to me than diamonds. Maybe by the time I get around to asking someone to marry me the diamond "gotta have it" thing will have faded a bit. If not, one of these companies could be getting a call from me
wink.gif
. I think the winner of Fark's recent "truth in advertising" photoshop has the right idea.

I have a couple of other ideas for these large synthetic diamonds. How about using diamond lens elements in high-end photography gear? Diamond has a very high index of refraction and could shrink down large telephoto lenses. Same thing goes for binoculars and telescopes.

Dec 7, 2003 at 12:17 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Other precious stones are already regularly synthesized (and colored) for jewelry. The market of these seems to co-exist nicely with the market for natural stones. Good synthetics can be almost as expensive!

I wish I could find the link again. I found a place that was selling a 4 ct. synthetic precut diamond for under $800! I'm not sure what the quality was but it was still 4 ct.

Dec 7, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #24 of 24
I remember a documentry about synthetic rubies. The synthetics are virtually idental in every way to the natural gemstone, and the firm producting the synthetic rubies have to "dope" the gemstones so that they show up with a bright orange fluoresence under the ultraviolet. I can expect the same from the synthetic diamonds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back