Synthetic Diamonds
Dec 5, 2003 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Daemoth

100+ Head-Fier
Lately, I've been looking into rings and gemstones out of curiosity figuring maybe later on in life it might come in handy. I ran into what promises to bring technological innovations about and jewerly "innovation":
Synthetic Diamonds being mass produced. Eventually these would be perfect and better than even what nature can devise and damn cheap too (Bye Bye De Beers).

So I have a question: How do you think mass production diamonds will affect your jewelry buying and receiving?

I know I'm quite pleased and can't wait for these to hit the market. Hopefully by the time I have to look for an engagement ring to give someone, she'll have a cheaper more colorful selection of stones to choose from. Also, I won't feel disgusted by the thought of handing over a sign of money for a hand in marriage.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html

Dec 5, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 24
yeah, I would like to see this. Of course, de beers will have a nice marketing campaign to keep people from wanting them.

So the retail market won't go down at all I don't think.

Dec 5, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 24
More like De Beers will be the the big player in the distribution of these synthetic rocks.

BTW -
I read an article in National Geographic magazine a few months ago on diamonds and how they are the source of fundings for civil wars or rebel groups.

The article also suggested that the certification system - which purports to certify that the diamond came from a "clean" source - doesn't work as promised and there is no way of telling where that rock on your spouse's hand really came from.

Funny how those "A-diamond-is-a-symbol-of-love/A-diamond-is-forever" type Ads never mentions these things.

Dec 5, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
More like De Beers will be the the big player in the distribution of these synthetic rocks.

I'm hoping that won't be the case. Though, I'm sure that they will still be touting "natural" diamonds as the only real thing. I think the two big companies right now, Gemesis and Apollo, are acting like distributors. I know Apollo wants diamond to replace silicon. If it does replace silicon for microfabrication, I doubt De Beers will be able to stand in the way of Intel and the rest of the semiconductor industry.

Dec 5, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 24
yeah, there is no way that de beers could compete when it comes to apollo for the technology market for diamonds. But yes, it will become that in order for it to be special, it will have to be a "natural" diamond.

It's going to be an interesting switch how they go from touting purity of their diamonds and purity being the standard, to having to tout the imperfections in the diamond.

Dec 5, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 24
There are so many other amazing gemstones that I really can't see why people get so excited over diamonds, particularly giving their oftentimes odious origins (how's that for an illiteration!?).

Dec 5, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma
There are so many other amazing gemstones that I really can't see why people get so excited over diamonds, particularly giving their oftentimes odious origins (how's that for an illiteration!?).

Yeah, when I find a woman to marry, I would like to get her a saphire ring instead of a diamond ring.

Dec 5, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by dohminator
Yeah, when I find a woman to marry, I would like to get her a saphire ring instead of a diamond ring.

Get her a Sony MDR-R10 instead... at the price they sell for, there must be a couple diamonds in there somewhere...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 24
I'm going to make a diamond diaphragm instead of a bio-cellulose or whatever.

Dec 5, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma

Yea, same here. I mean I understand it is rare, brilliant, and its optical and physical properties are amazing, but I think a normal diamond in a gold ring is very boring. I'm going to probably go with something different for when I find the woman I want to marry. Actually, I already have an idea for a very customizable ring but it will probably take me researching until I need that ring to figure out how to make it.

Dec 5, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 24
Why stick with gold?? -- I believe there are rings made from platinum and titanium. Any good i wonder?

Dec 6, 2003 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 24
The amusing thing about the synthetic diamonds is that they cannot be distinguished from "natural" diamonds without the use of some very sophisticated laboratory equipment. Even then it's difficult. The guy that was told that making these is a "good way to get a bullet in the back of the head" should listen. Taking on the diamond cartel is like taking on the mob's gambling operations, except probably more dangerous. . .

Dec 6, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Why stick with gold?? -- I believe there are rings made from platinum and titanium. Any good i wonder?

I've wondered about platinum, for some reason I've heard that it tarnishes (or oxidizes). Titanium sounds really cool. I guess it is a trend now in some places to give titanium wedding bands. I personally think silicon is an awesome metal. It will readily grow an oxide to precise sizes (we're talking in angstroms here). If an oxide is grown (heated) on a highly polished (mirror like) surface, depending on the depth of the oxide, you can adjust what tint of color you want. Now, the only problem I see is that since you are doing this on such a small scale... it probably would wear off.

Dec 6, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

I have never understood why the general public seems to think that titanium and platinum are somehow comparable in value. I suppose it must be because of marketers who have brainwashed us with 'Titanium' credit card offers, etc.

Platinum: rare, expensive precious metal. Recent price: $790 per ounce.
Titanium: cheap commodity. Recent price: around $5 per POUND.

If someone gave me a platinum ring, I'd be very appreciative. But a titanium ring sounds more like a Crackerjack prize.

Here's a little info in case you actually want to compare prices over time. This only goes to 1998, but it's US govt info in both cases, so provides a solid basis for comparison.

Price of platinum group metals, incl. platinum and others (PDF)

Price of titanium (PDF)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back