Synergy: Which amps would work well with the Grado line?
Apr 4, 2007 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

rockbottom

100+ Head-Fier
Which amps would work well with Grados? I'm curious which amps would synergize best with Grados, namely the SR80 and RS1 (not that my current amp is bad, just really want to know). Preferably amps with 2 phone outputs and can drive 2 pairs simultaneously.

Apr 4, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 22
I use a HeadAmp GS-1 (with DACT stepped-attenuator) for almost two years now and highly recommend it for the RS-1/MS-Pro. In addition to having two headphone outputs, it also has a preamp output to drive an amp in a speaker system.

Apr 4, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 22
RA1
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 22
AH...yes...the RA1...heard good things about them...wish I could get my hands on one of them...

I recall seeing a thread about the RA1 having just a "glorified Cmoy" on it and totally not worth the money. For one, we're paying for the sound, as long as it sounds good, it doesn't need to have a highly sophisticated circuitry. Also, as an engineer, we've always been taught that the simplest solutions are often among the best solutions to a problem, no need to make things more complicated than it needs to be as long as it can deliver the desired quality.

Anyhow, this is off-topic...gosh...I'm thread-jacking/thread-crapping my own thread...
rs1smile.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockbottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Preferably amps with 2 phone outputs and can drive 2 pairs simultaneously.

You asking for too much....
tongue.gif

If there're 2 jacks, one of them likely to be for high impedance and the other is for lower.

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some say the warm tube sound is best with Grados I wouldn't know though

and why do you need to drive two headphones at the same time?

Put a thread to find out if there are any other Head Fiers close to you with a Mapletree. Then you could arrange to listen to one. I really like the wayt he Mapletree sounds with Grado. As I stated on my PM the Heed is also a nice alternative at $400, it lacks some of the warmth.

If I was looking for an inexpensive entry tube amp I would look at two hybrids. The Little Dot MT or the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2. The first can be bought for $199 (improved model) and the second can be had used from $140 to $190 including S&H.

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put a thread to find out if there are any other Head Fiers close to you with a Mapletree. Then you could arrange to listen to one. I really like the wayt he Mapletree sounds with Grado. As I statede on my PM the Heed is also a nice alternative at $400, it lacks some of the warmth.

If I was looking for an inexpensive entry tube amp I would look at two hybrids. The Little Dot MT or the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2. The first can be bought for $199 (improved model) and the second can be had used from $140 to $190 including S&H.

sorry to jack thread
tongue.gif

I have Sennheiser HD580's but I listen to a lot of Rock so Grado is the obvious choice but I've yet to hear one so I wouldn't know what I really prefer. Which is why I find myself in a mix up trying to decide what amp I should get. I don't want to buy the Heed CanAmp and find out I love the Grado sound knowing It's not considered good for Grados.

I already put a deposit down on the Heed CanAmp If I find out later that I prefer Grado more than Sennheiser I will most likely just sell the Heed without losing much and buy a new amp.

Apr 5, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockbottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which amps would work well with Grados? I'm curious which amps would synergize best with Grados, namely the SR80 and RS1 (not that my current amp is bad, just really want to know). Preferably amps with 2 phone outputs and can drive 2 pairs simultaneously.

I have the GS1000 and will swear by the HeadRoom Desktop. In fact, the Desktop is a perfect match for everything I've thrown at it, including the HD650 and the usually hard to drive K701. The Desktop also has two headphone jacks -- 1/4 and 1/8. Haven't tried it with the RS1 and SR80, though, but my guess is they'll synergize. Hopefully someone who's tried the Desktop with these cans will jump in.

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #12 of 22
Im using my Hornet at the moment to break in my new SR80's

SRV.... of course... this little amp never ceases to amaze me... and the Grados sure like Stevie!

Nice combination.

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #13 of 22
My HeadFive makes the SR-60 sound so good. It especially makes the bass sound great, and I think it's just a really good synergy going on.

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 22
Melos Sha Gold (Maybe Melos Sha-1 as well, but I've mostly seen that used in conjunction with the HP1000 series) <- tough to find this kind of stuff, but the Sha Gold I think goes for 800-1000.

Yamamoto HA-02 apparently has good synergy too with Grado rs-1s as well as the AT woodie line... and lots else. 975 with shipping already included and a 5-6 week wait time (Minimum).

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 22
If you listen to alot of rock/heavier music the Mapletree mates well with the RS1 and you can tailor the sound by rolling the 5751/12AX7 tubes.
It still does well with more laid back music, acoustic,folk, blues etc but if my main focus was on those types of music I would also consider the Yamamoto HA-02, which can rock out but IMO not quite a good as the MAD.

Have fun choosing
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back