Symphonium Crimson - Impressions and Reviews (The Next Standard)
Sep 19, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #121 of 445
Hi,

Is the crimson vented?

I’m looking at the crimson and U12T as my next purchase and possible end-game iem.

I was mostly set on the U12T, however the feedback from early Crimson adaptors on here and comparisons to the U12T has got me very interested in it (plus it’s considerably cheaper).

However, I’ve had issues with pressure build up and discomfort from un-vented iem’s previously.

If it isn’t vented, has anyone experienced any pressure build up issues?

Thanks

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #122 of 445
Hi,

Is the crimson vented?

I’m looking at the crimson and U12T as my next purchase and possible end-game iem.

I was mostly set on the U12T, however the feedback from early Crimson adaptors on here and comparisons to the U12T has got me very interested in it (plus it’s considerably cheaper).

However, I’ve had issues with pressure build up and discomfort from un-vented iem’s previously.

Thanks
Hi,

It is not vented. Have been using the Crimson for a week now. I do not experience any discomfort due to the pressure build up or even the fit after long listening sessions (3-4 hours).

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #124 of 445
Hi,

Is the crimson vented?

Thanks
I have both Crimson and U12t.
Crimson is not vented. To avoid pressure build up I move IEM around (after inserting it into my ear) which at some point breaks the seal and releases the pressure. So far I have no problems if I do this method.

I love both IEMs, but they are quite different. U12t has superb imaging and layering and sounds relaxed (at least relative to crimson hehe). Crimson has significantly better quality bass, no midrange dip and great treble with a lot of extension. Latter can be a bit double-edged as treble can be too spicy with certain tips. I find that wide-bore tips work amazing (i use azla crystal).
All in all, U12t is great reference IEM, but Crimson really has that wow factor and is my favourite IEM.

Sep 19, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #125 of 445
I have both Crimson and U12t.
Crimson is not vented. To avoid pressure build up I move IEM around (after inserting it into my ear) which at some point breaks the seal and releases the pressure. So far I have no problems if I do this method.

I love both IEMs, but they are quite different. U12t has superb imaging and layering and sounds relaxed (at least relative to crimson hehe). Crimson has significantly better quality bass, no midrange dip and great treble with a lot of extension. Latter can be a bit double-edged as treble can be too spicy with certain tips. I find that wide-bore tips work amazing (i use azla crystal).
All in all, U12t is great reference IEM, but Crimson really has that wow factor and is my favourite IEM.
Thank you for explaining this. The Crimson is certainly appealing, I'm still a little concerned about pressure build up though.

The amount of extension doesn't deter me, in fact it's one of the more appealing aspects, as I love well extended treble post 10k. I eq more in on my current iems, as they tend to roll off earlier than I'd like.

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #127 of 445
Can anyone provide some more comparisons between the Crimson vs Tia Trio ?
I'm looking for a upgrade/complementary set for my SR8 but with a more bass-focused tuning.

Sep 19, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #128 of 445
The actual driver design was never revealed, correct. Speculation that it's just 4BA, but no official word?
Why the secrecy?
I believe the creators said they’re keeping it a secret, at least for now, to prevent it from being judged using preconceived notions/prejudices against specific driver configurations.

I think they wanted it to be appreciated for its sonic qualities.

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #129 of 445
Thank you for explaining this. The Crimson is certainly appealing, I'm still a little concerned about pressure build up though.

The amount of extension doesn't deter me, in fact it's one of the more appealing aspects, as I love well extended treble post 10k. I eq more in on my current iems, as they tend to roll off earlier than I'd like.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/symphonium-audio-crimson.26705/reviews#review-31711
When it comes to the fit, I know both this and the Triton/Helios fit others ears just fine with no problems. I’ve had a different experience only with Symphoniums IEMs and due to their fully sealed design(no vent holes), I have an issue with their IEMs causing too much of a seal when I use them. No matter the tips, I get an extremely strong seal that causes eventual over-pressure discomfort and a headache after an hour or so of listening. I’ve not had this issue on sealed CIEMs in the past so this is less of a design issue and more that all the Symphonium IEMs make the ultimate pressure seal in my specific ear canals. I’ve not heard any other person complain about this issue I’ve had. Had this been a vented IEM, I think it wouldn’t be an issue for my ears

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #130 of 445
I do not think it's satisfactory for the most consumers esp. when it comes to the question what do you charge that much for?
But it's their marketing strategy, let's see how far it could get them after the initial hype dies down.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #131 of 445
I believe the creators said they’re keeping it a secret, at least for now, to prevent it from being judged using preconceived notions/prejudices against specific driver configurations.

Likely another 4BA setup. I'm a bit pissed that they push the price to $1600. Previously, they said they deliberately keep the Helios 4BA to save money on both side. $1100 was not exactly cheap comparing to the rest of the market, but acceptable (back then). If that cost saving it real, the crimson could/should have been $1000 or $1100 again.

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #132 of 445
Likely another 4BA setup. I'm a bit pissed that they push the price to $1600. Previously, they said they deliberately keep the Helios 4BA to save money on both side. $1100 was not exactly cheap comparing to the rest of the market, but acceptable (back then). If that cost saving it real, the crimson could/should have been $1000 or $1100 again.

This reminds me of the argument of how much mechanics charge for a specific service vs how long it takes them to do the job. If they can do a 1 hour service in 30 minutes, do you feel you should pay only the 30 minutes?

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #133 of 445
This reminds me of the argument of how much mechanics charge for a specific service vs how long it takes them to do the job. If they can do a 1 hour service in 30 minutes, do you feel you should pay only the 30 minutes?
There is labor rate for specific job, he can spend the whole day changing oil or 15 minutes, rate is the same. Why this is even an analogy, don't see any connection at all.
They sell a cat in the bag to see if they can get away with asking price for just retuned basic 4BA design.

Sep 19, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #134 of 445
There is labor rate for specific job, he can spend the whole day changing oil or 15 minutes, rate is the same. Why this is even an analogy, don't see any connection at all.
They sell a cat in the bag to see if they can get away with asking price for just retuned basic 4BA design.

Symphonium claims they spent 2 years on the Crimson. So Helios price + 2 years of learning + who knows how many prototypes. Do you believe it's that easy to make an iem? Just throw X amount of ba's in a shell and call it a day?

Sep 19, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #135 of 445
Have you actually heard the Crimson/Helios to state it's just a retune?
If it offends you that much, just don't buy it.
What if it has 30 drivers per side and sounds the same? would that justify the price? This is not how, I personally, rate a product/value.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back