Symphones Magnum/ Magnum Light
Mar 12, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #92 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone willing to divulge some quick first impressions please?

I will I promise... as soon as I get them!

EDIT: GAH! Why does postal tracking (both US and CA post) have to be so darn USELESS?!?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #93 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone willing to divulge some quick first impressions please?

Still waiting for delivery; although tracking states they are now in the US. I hope to receive them by early next week.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #95 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaphoenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still waiting for delivery; although tracking states they are now in the US. I hope to receive them by early next week.

Yeah mine has said that for days. Thing is, Niagara on the Lake is a stone's throw from the US border - the tracking is just close to useless. Nothing new really though. It took almost exactly a week for them to get there, I figure it'll be the same in the other direction.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #96 of 164
OK, some intitial impressions.

Iam using a stock IPOD classic - ALO dock - Meier Headfive.
The modded SR60i (lite mods) is actually very comfortable to wear and not heavy. They have very few hours on them.

I have owned Senn HD600's for about 4 years and also had a Stax SR4040II system for about 6 months, and use REO IEMs - as reference points.

The first thing I noticed is these phones are the closest representation to speakers I have heard. There are 3 qualities that really strike me:
1. The are very forward/bright without being harsh or causing sibilance.
2. There is a phenomenal amount of detail - you hear all the textures of every note with all instruments, and it has the speed to match.
3. The bass and treble extension is impressive, particularly the bass which goes deeper, is more plentiful and tighter than any other phones I have heard.

And the weakness: The forward nature of the phones, and they require a slightly higher volume than the HD600 to achieve their sweet spot, makes me wonder if they will be fatiguing. I think I will be all right as I only listen 2-3 hours at time at most. I would like a little more midrange warmth - but this may be an issue with my source (a stock ipod classic!) and amplification. I have also heard better imaging with the HD600 and Stax, but again may be a source issue as I was previously using an OMZ dac.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase (effectively about $300). I think Rhydon is a genius bringing out this kind of sound from these phones at this low price. Theres still lots of mods that can be done with the SR60i if so inclined.

I will post more detailed impressions and comparisons in the future.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #97 of 164
Still haven't received mine yet either... I'm anxious to tinker with it.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #98 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by sydneyaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, some intitial impressions.

Iam using a stock IPOD classic - ALO dock - Meier Headfive.
The modded SR60i (lite mods) is actually very comfortable to wear and not heavy. They have very few hours on them.

I have owned Senn HD600's for about 4 years and also had a Stax SR4040II system for about 6 months, and use REO IEMs - as reference points.

The first thing I noticed is these phones are the closest representation to speakers I have heard. There are 3 qualities that really strike me:
1. The are very forward/bright without being harsh or causing sibilance.
2. There is a phenomenal amount of detail - you hear all the textures of every note with all instruments, and it has the speed to match.
3. The bass and treble extension is impressive, particularly the bass which goes deeper, is more plentiful and tighter than any other phones I have heard.

And the weakness: The forward nature of the phones, and they require a slightly higher volume than the HD600 to achieve their sweet spot, makes me wonder if they will be fatiguing. I think I will be all right as I only listen 2-3 hours at time at most. I would like a little more midrange warmth - but this may be an issue with my source (a stock ipod classic!) and amplification. I have also heard better imaging with the HD600 and Stax, but again may be a source issue as I was previously using an OMZ dac.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase (effectively about $300). I think Rhydon is a genius bringing out this kind of sound from these phones at this low price. Theres still lots of mods that can be done with the SR60i if so inclined.

I will post more detailed impressions and comparisons in the future.

Have you had Grado headphones before or is this your first time with this sound signature?

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #99 of 164
just got my tracking yesterday. does anyone know how long will it take via usa express to NY? Im cant wait for more reviews for these!

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #101 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by gav007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh wow, the magnum looks sweet. Is it's worth it to do the magnum upgrade on the 80i?

I'll let you know when mine comes in, hopefully, next week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #103 of 164
Nah both are worthless - I have them in hand now but both tracking is still way behind..

Wait... yes, I did say I have them in hand. I'm listening at work on my Zero but i can't really make any comments about the sound - first I don't think I ever listened to the 325is on the Zero, and I'm working so I'm not listening very closely.

I can say that the craftsmanship is very nice indeed. I love the black look of the new drivers, and the all metal cups are really something. Gotta say it's somewhat disillusioning to see the original drivers in the box - doesn't seem to be much to them - and all that GLUE!

Anyway, I'm psyched to have my Grado's back - I missed them so - I like my Senns and all, but they're just kinda boring comparatively.

I'll try to post some comments later once I've listened at home some.

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #104 of 164
Well I got mine today and was disappointed to see that the drivers don't include the metal mushroom cups
angry_face.gif
and I have to source some cups. I was under the impression that the whole driver assembly would include them, but I guess it's just for the drivers themselves.

So does anyone know where I can get some metal cups? Or can Rhydon make some for me? I no longer have my SR-325is's metal cups so that's out of the question and all I have otherwise is some broken wooden cups.

Arg what to do what to do..... depression sets in...

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #105 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I got mine today and was disappointed to see that the drivers don't include the metal mushroom cups
angry_face.gif
and I have to source some cups. I was under the impression that the whole driver assembly would include them, but I guess it's just for the drivers themselves.

So does anyone know where I can get some metal cups? Or can Rhydon make some for me? I no longer have my SR-325is's metal cups so that's out of the question and all I have otherwise is some broken wooden cups.

Arg what to do what to do..... depression sets in...

Why not try woodies? They're readily available and have that sexy-sexy look.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back