Switch from Sennheiser HD650 to [insert headphone here]?
Nov 8, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #46 of 76
bumping with something...

I read about the Denon 5000's, and they seem like they would be pretty nice, but I couldn't find any good info on the soundstage of those... comments?

thank you

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #47 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by munchzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bumping with something...

I read about the Denon 5000's, and they seem like they would be pretty nice, but I couldn't find any good info on the soundstage of those... comments?

thank you

Very good soundstage, for closed cans.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #49 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650s->DX1000 & HD800s

hmm? what is this about?

azncookiecutter: oh right I almost forgot that they were closed... but "for being closed" doesn't really tell me much since I'm not very used to closed ones
tongue.gif

thanks!

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #50 of 76
DT880's are too bassy for you? hmm, that's a first! i've always read that they are bass-light almost like the K701's but it could be your source/amp & music genres. anyhow, if DT880 are too bassy for u then the D5000's wouldn't work since they have crazy amount of bass, often too much and flabby IMO.

u may have to expand your budget if u looking for a jump from the HD650's because many cans that falls under the $500 budget range (eg. DT880/990/770's, K701/2's, HD600's, Grado's, D5000/2000) are about the same quality level as the HD650's, just different sound/flavor.

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #51 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by virusvoodoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880's are too bassy for you? hmm, that's a first! i've always read that they are bass-light almost like the K701's but it could be your source/amp & music genres. anyhow, if DT880 are too bassy for u then the D5000's wouldn't work since they have crazy amount of bass, often too much and flabby IMO.

u may have to expand your budget if u looking for a jump from the HD650's because many cans that falls under the $500 budget range (eg. DT880/990/770's, K701/2's, HD600's, Grado's, D5000/2000) are about the same quality level as the HD650's, just different sound/flavor.

haha well, the friend who owned the DT880's listen to that hardcore-metal stuff with heavy drums and ****, he might even had used an equalizer, I was expecting much bass and sound like the DT770's too so I guess that was pretty lame~

the more I think about it the more it feels like the K701 should be what I'm looking for, I don't think closed headphones would be my kind of thing.
the dt990 seemed a lot more interesting now reading that they are open and might not be too bassy.
I wouldn't really mind less bass than my HD650's, it wasn't a very thought-out buy to be honest, I hadn't tried much else.

anyway still a while until I get them so I wouldn't mind more input and suggestions

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #52 of 76
A used Stax 2020 or 2050 setup would be less than €350 and the system has very good soundstage and IMO same kind of feel to music as the HD650 does, but only better. The bass is deep, the mids liquid and the highs natural (perhaps a little recessed?) and so on.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #54 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by munchzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, I've never ever seen a pair of stax in real life. I imagine they sound very good though

Ah, I didn't realize you would consider Staxen. My recommendations change in that case and I echo Progo's suggestion. Get a used Stax rig and down the rabbit hole you go.

In all seriousness, my first 'stat rig was a Stax Lamba Pro with an SRM1/MK2 amp for $450.00. To my ears, it bested just about any dynamic rig under $2k.

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #57 of 76
Sorry, should have seen budget thing. I think for the money, the HD650s are great as long as they have a recable. If I were to find something in that pricerange the only way I would go is to the HD600s like stated above. The problem is when you want to upgrade you usually have to pay more money to up-grade. So my solutions were more expensive since they are an up-grade not a downgrade or even trade. Good Luck.

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #59 of 76
hmm, the K601 > K701 how?
I haven't tried the HD600's for a very long time, can't even remember what they sounded like... too bad I have almost no stores selling any good headphones in my town

how about this... I wait until christmas (my parents are very generous!) and DOUBLE my budget.
what can I do now?
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back