Switch from Sennheiser HD650 to [insert headphone here]?
Nov 6, 2009 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

munchzilla

500+ Head-Fier
okay so I got those supercool sennheiser HD650 which I'm thinking of giving a friend (not going to sell them, but want to try something new)

the amp I have is an AMBLabs CK2MK3, which is a solid state, so something that goes nice with this amp would be great.

anyway, what I'm looking for is basically some fun-phones. good and wide soundstage, not too much bass (DT770 is too much) and yet still pretty nice clear sound... you guys probably know this better than me!

well, pricerange max 500$... actually buying in europe, so about 350€!

I listen to almost everything but mostly post-rock, and drone/sludge. which is kinda strange cause drone and sludge both have pretty dark sounding guitars that are almost bass-like, while post-rock has superlight mellow guitars with lots of effects, delays and stuff.

anyway, leaning more towards the mellow and melodic kinda stuff.
slept really bad and haven't eaten for the past 9 hours so text might seem messy and missing lots of stuff, apologize for that.

thanks in advance anyway!
beerchug.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 76
lol. anyways. anything within that price range would get you phones that would pretty much be in the same category as the 650s, just that they will have a different sound. so it wouldn't exactly be an upgrade or anything in that sense.

Grados tend to favour the rock aspect of music, Beyers are a tad bassy as you have mentioned and caters to hip hop and stuff like that. I think the AKG K701/2 are a bit more neutral, but yeah. I can't comment much more than that since I don't have enough experience =)

wishes someone would actually sell some stuff on the cheapie end like an uber good deal that I would be able to afford. lol.

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 76
yeah it's not really an upgrade I'm looking for, just something different. hence 'friend'.

tried grados, they are nice, but not really what I'm looking for... didn't like the DT770 at all. are the DT990 very different really?

AKG K701 were okay, but I've only listened to them without my amp so I might have been fooling myself thinking those were just "meh".

thanks!

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT990/600 ohms. A whole new league when compared to the HD650.

Mmm.. interesting, new league to the hd650...I don't know how true is that, but what amp did you use for the 600ohm dt990?

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #13 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by munchzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay so I got those supercool sennheiser HD650 which I'm thinking of giving a friend (not going to sell them, but want to try something new)

the amp I have is an AMBLabs CK2MK3, which is a solid state, so something that goes nice with this amp would be great.

anyway, what I'm looking for is basically some fun-phones. good and wide soundstage, not too much bass (DT770 is too much) and yet still pretty nice clear sound... you guys probably know this better than me!

well, pricerange max 500$... actually buying in europe, so about 350€!

I listen to almost everything but mostly post-rock, and drone/sludge. which is kinda strange cause drone and sludge both have pretty dark sounding guitars that are almost bass-like, while post-rock has superlight mellow guitars with lots of effects, delays and stuff.

anyway, leaning more towards the mellow and melodic kinda stuff.
slept really bad and haven't eaten for the past 9 hours so text might seem messy and missing lots of stuff, apologize for that.

thanks in advance anyway!
beerchug.gif

Used Grado RS1....about $450-$500.

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT990/600 ohms. A whole new league when compared to the HD650.

There is now way the DT880s are in a new league...maybe Triple A, but not Major League when compared to the HD650s. I just could not get over their thin metallic and bright sound. To me this is a step down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back