Switch from iPod Touch to Sony S545
Mar 23, 2010 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DLRStudio

New Head-Fier
I haven't been here in a long time, probably over a year. I remember from last time I was reading the threads regularly that many people think that other sources have much better sq than iPods. I was happy with mine so I never checked anything else out. I do have a lot of apps on it, and use it daily. When I work, I listen to music about 6 hours a day.

After checking out some threads last night, I decided it was time to check out some new sources. I haven't worked since December, so money is a factor right now.

I decided to get the Sony S545, and picked one up this morning. After loading a bunch of music on it, I did a comparison with the Touch. I listened to classical, rock, jazz - the music I listen to most.

Wow - the longer I listened, the more the difference was driven home! I don't have an amp or expensive headphones. I listen through UE Superfi 4 IEMs.

I guess the most obvious difference is the clarity. The vocals sound more alive, the highs are clearer. It's not real bassy, which is my preference anyhow. I like accuracy over a bass heavy sound. It sounded better in every genre.

I know this is nothing new to you guys, just wanted to share my experience with people who understand. In the future (when I'm working again), I'm leaning toward getting an S9 and upgrade to some higher end UEs.

Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge. Although I'm using a very inexpensive portable setup, I'm amazed at how much better it sounds. Too bad I spent so much on the Touch. Live and learn.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 8
Thanks for taking the time to share!

I'm also leaning towards the S9 but am worried that I would be disappointed with the HO compared to the LOD from my iPod although everyone has been saying how clean the S9's HO is... Still trying to find a friend with a S9 for me to try
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Hey DLR!
Hope you get to work soon
smily_headphones1.gif
and it is good to listen your story of switching from IPod touch to Sony. And it is good if you are happier with that. The main concern is not how much you spend on one item, its how much you get happier while using it.
Cheers dude
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 8
Justanut, I'd like to hear what you think of the S9 with HO rather than LOD. I want to buy an amp too, but will have to save. Each component is a major purchase for me right now.

GuruTech - it's dudette
smily_headphones1.gif
And I'm much happier, thank you. I think I've already found buyers for the Touch and Bose Sound Dock. Yup, I also have a Bose. Even though the UE I got are pretty cheap ones, I do find the sound so much better. I didn't think of the Bose IEMs as muddy, but by comparison, the UEs have more clarity which is very noticeable. I may go back to work in May. Waiting for a release from my doctor. Thanks for the good wishes.
Denise

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 8
And of course, tonight I was looking at the IEM reviews, and realize I should have gotten some RE0s while I was spending a little money. Maybe by summer I'll be able to get into some higher quality gear. For now, at least I'm listening to music that I love
smily_headphones1.gif

Denise

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLRStudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Justanut, I'd like to hear what you think of the S9 with HO rather than LOD. I want to buy an amp too, but will have to save. Each component is a major purchase for me right now.

I'm also looking forward to hearing a S9 for myself haha... Any owners in Singapore?!
beerchug.gif

Take it slowly... I kinda rushed my purchases this month and the wife's barking up my tree now lol~

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 8
What I love over the touch is the tactile controls which are in great spots and tend to not change form unit to unit. I won't budge in my view that Sony sound is less accurate than Apple's, but a good Sony tends to be more fun, that is 100% sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back