Switch box ...
Apr 10, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious about wiring the switch. I've read that you switch the grounds. Why is this the case?

I think that's the safest way to wire it. You never know what the input signals use as their reference voltage, it might not necessarily be earth ground. One signal "ground" could be at +/- X Volts with reference to the signal ground of another input. I've run into these problems with my thesis project, I have something like 6 or 7 "grounds"
biggrin.gif
In many cases you can tie the reference signals to ground and the source will essentially operate about that reference point, but without knowing exactly how the source works it's safer just to isolate it. I *think* you could also run into some ground loop issues.

If you have a single input and several loads I wouldn't worry about switching the grounds in that case. The loads just take whatever ground they're given, so you won't have any problems.

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #49 of 58
Since im really a novice at this, how do you select a rotary switch.

I assume you wire all the inputs to the switch then there are terminals which transfer the selected location from each pole and you can connect those to the rcas.

So correct me if I am wrong, if i want a unbalanced rca selector switch with 4 inputs one output, I need a 4 position 3 pole rotary switch correct?

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #50 of 58
Decware sells a 6 way switch that I've used for years and I find it completely transparent. Listed as the RSB6 and sells for $119, can't provide a link ,sorry.
No affiliation, BTW.
6 RCA pairs in, one pair out.

Larry

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that's the safest way to wire it. You never know what the input signals use as their reference voltage, it might not necessarily be earth ground.

This is essentially why I decided to switch the grounds. I wasn't sure at the time if I would use the box for switching 1 input to 4 outputs or 4 inputs to 1 output. It's definitely overkill for what I need but it didn't cost much to make.

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have been using this one from amazon, it is a very solid box that also allows the inputs to be reversed to outputs so i can have multiple sources going to my speakers and headphone amp

Amazon.com: TCC TC-716 6-Way Stereo Source Selector: Electronics

Hey cool! Thanks for posting this; I've been looking for a decent but inexpensive switchbox for a while now, and I think this will fit the bill quite nicely. Found a place that ships it to Canada for a damn reasonable price, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now if only there was a nice way to switch TOSlink connections...

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now if only there was a nice way to switch TOSlink connections...

You mean this...

It ships out of the US so I guess with a bit of searching you can find it too in canada...

Ie...: this...

And another doesn't putting a switch box between source/amp degrade the sound? I've been reading stuff around the forum and there's a debate on this...

they say splitters are better...

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnerH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean this...

I said "nice"...
wink.gif

My hope is still to find a TOSlink switcher that's a little classier than that unit, although I'll probably wind up grabbing one of them from Monoprice (they seem have the absolute best deal on it) next time I make an order.

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget mb3k's SOCRAM page with BOM and wiring diagram.

socram1.jpg

When this thread started, I thought of this. I couldn't remember where I'd seen it though. Thanks for posting it.

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #58 of 58
Hello, This might not be the proper place to ask this question being a headphone forum but its audio related. I was looking to build or buy a premade switch box. I want this box to be able to have several different amps run to it and i can select which amp source i want to be going to my speakers. Anyone have any help for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back