Switch box ...
Apr 10, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by akione /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like to use relays just because I can
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Yeh they do look pretty cool and nice and tidy.

I'll be placing mine in to a seperate box and i might customise it a little.

Have you got a pic of the power supply that you made that i could look at. A pic of the whole switch box would also be nice, if you have one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #32 of 58
I have some pics on a thread at TPA, in the Gallery section, if you want to have a look. I'm still working on it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #35 of 58
Apr 10, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont even know what tpa stands for. Nice pics by the way, looks like you are familiar with the Twisted Pear products!
smily_headphones1.gif

Ahhh...... TPA = Twisted Pear Audio.
smily_headphones1.gif

They have a support forum. It's worth having a browse around there, particularly if you intend to use any of their kit.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

am i right in thinking the relay method for a switch box is better than controlling the siwtching just via a switch control like Bjornboy81 build.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/pos...ml#post3535067

Is this beacause all the audio signal will be controlled via the relays and not through the switch?

Bjornboy81's version doesn't need a power supply.

Using relays may be better, but to what extent? Probably inaudible. For the ease of building and not needing a powersupply (which could introduce noise BTW) I went with the simple switch setup. Just make sure they are break before make switches...otherwise you're shorting the two sources together for a split second.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjornboy81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using relays may be better, but to what extent? Probably inaudible. For the ease of building and not needing a powersupply (which could introduce noise BTW) I went with the simple switch setup. Just make sure they are break before make switches...otherwise you're shorting the two sources together for a split second.

Where did you get your switch from?

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjornboy81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes. With it in a suitably shielded case, and using good quality switches, the difference will likely be inaudible.

For most of us, though, the switching has to happen in the same case as other electronics,
in which case, it's not such a good idea to run signal wires to a switch on the front of the case.

Having had a lot of trouble in the past with commercially made gear that used switches for source selection,
I'll be using relays whenever I can in my own projects.

I suppose it's down to personal choice, though. I like relays, so I use relays.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Where did you get your switch from?

I got them from my work, but here's the catalog page of the type I got. http://www.electro-nc.com/rotaryus/c5_6.pdf

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #43 of 58
Below is a link to the switchbox I created. I recently updated it to add an AlienDAC inside the case.

It allows you to switch 1 input to 4 different outputs. The switch on the back of the case switches the input between a set of RCAs and the AlienDAC.

The rotary switch is a 3P4T from Digikey P/N: 451-1014-ND

Original Box

Updated Box

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #44 of 58
Looks like you did a good job of that! I like the Alien dac included in to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by labmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Below is a link to the switchbox I created. I recently updated it to add an AlienDAC inside the case.

It allows you to switch 1 input to 4 different outputs. The switch on the back of the case switches the input between a set of RCAs and the AlienDAC.

The rotary switch is a 3P4T from Digikey P/N: 451-1014-ND

Original Box

Updated Box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back