Swapping tomahawk cap with blackgates worth it?
Feb 27, 2008 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ramblingman

New Head-Fier
I was just wondering if anyone thought it would be worth swapping out the cap inside a tomahawk with the blackgate equivalent.

I did a quick search and it looks like the closest one they have is their 15000uF 10v NX cap. This should work i think...

Anyone think it would be worth giving it a go?

IMGP6869.jpg

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 12
How would this potentially improve it ?

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 12
I dont know, just thought the way that everyone goes on about black gates that it might be worth the couple of $ to swap it out.

It doesn't make any sense to me how it would improve it other than perhaps a better quality component but even then its still going to be an electrolytic cap and might have no effect on the sound.

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 12
Yeah, why not, at the least, placebo effect will make you think it's totally worth it! As for reasonable reasons for it, that looks like a Nichicon UPW cap, so why not, BlackGate NX will be a better cap in some ways (I'm hoping for ESR at least, but since they don't publish their specs, who knows, I did see ESR measurements confirming that their NX caps do match some of the bullsh*t advertisement tactics claiming they really are nice caps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 12
As far as I can tell, there isn't anything close to that size in the Black Gate line. I think you missed a 0, the Black Gate NX series tops out at 1500uF, not 15000uF - and that cap is in the same size case (I think, from eyeballing the pic).

It would seem to be a power supply cap. I don't think it's a UPW though, all the UPW I've seen have a brown sleeve. My guess is it's a Panasonic M series, which comes in this value and is blue with white markings like that. Panasonic caps also tend to have the reddish marking that's barely visible at the top of the cap, so that's my bet.

There is a UPW in this value and case though, and it might be an improvement since it's a Low-Z cap. May as well give it a try, but I don't think you'll be able to hear a difference. The cap is already grossly oversized, and probably there is local decoupling with fast ceramics anyway.

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 12
Ray Samuels is one of the most respected headphone amp builders and designers around. He spends countless hours designing and testing his products. He would never use a cap that wasn't the best for its specific application.

There is one thing you need to understand, Blackgates are not the best capacitor to every application.

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 12
regarding capacitor capacitance differences: i would not get too concerned with being forced to use a smaller cap there if you want to fit a black-gate. the amp will run for a few seconds after its switched off... the stock cap is way bigger than necessary.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray Samuels is one of the most respected headphone amp builders and designers around. He spends countless hours designing and testing his products. He would never use a cap that wasn't the best for its specific application.

but sonnic preferences differ. one mans harsh and grainy is anothers detailed and clear...
one mans smeary bloated is another's warm and smooth.
Quote:

There is one thing you need to understand, Blackgates are not the best capacitor to every application.

to be sure i agree they are not the end-all-be all, but in an analog circuit, they generally do quite well.

Feb 28, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 12
If you do the mod I would be interested in knowing the outcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back