Swallowed to death by cables!
Oct 27, 2007 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Schalldampfer

1000+ Head-Fier
How many of you are getting swamped by cables on your desk?

I have a tablet, external hard drive, my DAC cable, headphones cables, power cable for laptop and another one for the external hard drive, USB hub cable, second monitor cable and the power cable for that, and ethernet cable. Thank goodness my mouse at least is wireless. And the biggest culprit of this horrid act is the HD-650 15ft cable...

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 24
Not my desk, but behind it, on the floor. Computer cables being the problem. Not a tangled rat's nest, but could be better organized. I have to get it all off the floor and tucked away before my daughter starts crawling.

-Ed

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 24
Not at all!
If I don't count interconnects and power cables for my audio gear (mostly behind the desk anyway), I only have three cables visible on my desk.
* Power cable for the MacBook Pro.
* FireWire 800 cable for the backup disk.
* Headphone cable connected to the amplifier.

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 24
I hate cables.

Visible on the desk: Two speaker cables, USB cables for mouse, keyboard, H2 cable.
Tucked away behind things: Two Cat5es, two DVIs, XLR ICs, RCA ICs, 40-some feet of (coiled) speaker cable, 6+ various power cables.

Under the desk.. Sheesh. I don't even want to get into that. 6-outlet UPS + 6-outlet throwaway power bar both full. Rat's nest of incredible proportions.

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 24
I must admit that most of my cable jungle is my own doing - they're all interconnects and USB etc that I have just sitting here. My PC and usdio cable (in use are all well routed. My home theatre OTOH started very nicely and has degraded - Hmmm... maybe a job for tomorrow (maybe).

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swallowed by cables! ...

going by what some of these high end cables cost they should do that for you...

eek.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 24
This is one of those reasons I encourage people to move to 802.11N wireless as soon as possible. Finally wireless networking speeds are high enough that you can ditch Ethernet cables for all but the largest file transfers. That's one less cable; potentially several less cables if you can move external storage and other things off to the closet.

My laptop just has the power connector; all the rest of the cables, drives, etc. are in the closet with a server. I also have my scanner stashed away in the closet, though I pull it out and bring it to my desk when I need it rather than doing scans from the server, because it's helpful to have a screen for scanning. Audio is sent digitally/wirelessly via Airport Express.

Oct 27, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 24
Yeah... my room doesn't have good access to the dormitory wireless signal, so I'm forced to use the Ethernet cable. And I actually have to move everything I described quite often, so tugging them away behind the desk is also impossible.

Oct 27, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 24
oh yes, its all i know

long time resident of number 1 spag. junction.

i wouldnt have it any other way! - cables are my flexible friends, they are the last thing i see before lights out, they are my one constant, i know on the morrow, they will deliver what i need yet again!!

now thats loyalty for you.

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 24
I have a massive cable jungle under my desk, but I don't mind it. It takes me only about 30 seconds or less to trace a wire from one end to another and disconnect/reconnect as I need to. What really pisses me off is, for example, when my parents set up their main computer hub in my sisters' old room. PC, keyboard, mouse, monitor, printer, scanner, speakers, microphone, camera, USB hub, external harddrive, extension cable, modem and router cables, all hanging back under the desk, and my sister take the entire thing and wraps all the slack from all the wires into a giant, bloody python with electrical tape. I had to go in to switch my parent's router and modem a couple of month ago, and I swear, my mother could hear me swearing out in the garden when I saw that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back