SW1X DACs and more
Oct 24, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #31 of 83
The DAC usually sounds best after it has been on for some hours. Clearly, I turned the DAC off, let it cool down, etc before turning it back on.
The new tube is NOS with no hours on it. Usually tubes sound better after some time settling.
You can hear a change pretty much right off after letting it warm back up a bit. It is not as profound as changing DACs mind you, but it seemed to push a little more space between the images (in a good way). I'm curious to see how it goes from here. I kept the same tubes in the amp and I'll keep them both steady for the next few days to see if there are any more changes.

-Chris

N.B. A 1st DAC roll makes me envious of @leftside and @Monsterzero with their TRPs (tube roller's paradise)!
It's a blessing and a curse. I also strongly considered the SW1X, but a used TRP became available....

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #32 of 83
The DAC usually sounds best after it has been on for some hours. Clearly, I turned the DAC off, let it cool down, etc before turning it back on.
The new tube is NOS with no hours on it. Usually tubes sound better after some time settling.
You can hear a change pretty much right off after letting it warm back up a bit. It is not as profound as changing DACs mind you, but it seemed to push a little more space between the images (in a good way). I'm curious to see how it goes from here. I kept the same tubes in the amp and I'll keep them both steady for the next few days to see if there are any more changes.

-Chris

N.B. A 1st DAC roll makes me envious of @leftside and @Monsterzero with their TRPs (tube roller's paradise)!

Thanks Chris, I am currently building a DAC kit from ANK audio kits (not the UK's Audio Note), and I am curious how much of an impact rolling tubes on the DAC could alter the sound output. I too am envious of @Monsterzero and @leftside TRPs lol

Oct 24, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #33 of 83
It is difficult to believe R2R ladder DAC can sound better than one the best delta-sigma DACs (RME).
Can you bring your headphones to SW1X and have a listen?

Here is what Rob Watts says:

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #34 of 83
It is difficult to believe R2R ladder DAC can sound better than one the best delta-sigma DACs (RME).

I went to Slawa's a few times. I brought my RME, headphones, amp. We did various things; plug RME into speaker system and swap for SW1X DACs, listened to my headphones/amp with the RME, SW1X DACs, etc. Also, I had 3 DACs at my house; RME, Amber and SW1X. I did a lot of listening/comparing/note taking in my setup.

I don't pretend to understand the science deeply (I certainly did a lot of reading/watching/etc). I am sure a TT2, a Dave etc is great. I didn't prefer the Hugo2 FWIW. At some point, I was a firm believer in the Rob Watts-esque view on DACs, but - my ears beat my brain.

As with all of these things, we are subject to various biases, etc. All I can say is that I am familiar with biases, how to experiment, and how easily we can fool ourselves. Notwithstanding all of that - I'm glad I landed where I did.

You are in London, as am I. Nothing beats listening. Somewhere in post-visitation lockdown, come listen as you like - just PM me. Slawa is also outside London and worth a visit. I warn you, however; you might not escape with your wallet intact - and you probably won't even mind!

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #35 of 83

That was a good interview and I learnt a few things. It's also just one viewpoint from someone who only makes delta-sigma DACs.

I have an R2R DAC and a delta-sigma DAC (both from Lampizator). I've done multiple comparisons between the two, and I have to admit I prefer the later delta-sigma Lampizator. But, the earlier R2R Lampizator beat every other delta-sigma DAC I'd listened to. The only thing I can add is to keep an open mind and give some of these DACs a listen. Maybe don't even ask such questions as "what is the DAC chip?" or "is this R2R or delta-sigma?" before you listen.

Nov 7, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #36 of 83
Thanks Chris, I am currently building a DAC kit from ANK audio kits (not the UK's Audio Note), and I am curious how much of an impact rolling tubes on the DAC could alter the sound output. I too am envious of @Monsterzero and @leftside TRPs lol
OK @maxpudding. I had a note to follow up on your comment after some listening. I did let it have a few days of just DAC tube change and I'm convinced it is noticeable and that it did make a modest improvement. Something about the depth of the sound seems a bit richer. Not a very eloquent comment I appreciate. It was not a massive change, but it was there. Eventually I went to also changing amp tubes, and I think I confounded any further experimentation at that point!

Nov 7, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #37 of 83
OK @maxpudding. I had a note to follow up on your comment after some listening. I did let it have a few days of just DAC tube change and I'm convinced it is noticeable and that it did make a modest improvement. Something about the depth of the sound seems a bit richer. Not a very eloquent comment I appreciate. It was not a massive change, but it was there. Eventually I went to also changing amp tubes, and I think I confounded any further experimentation at that point!

Thank you very much Chris, I appreciate this, no matter how ineloquent you might think it is lol. I have also finished building the R2R DAC kit, it's running on two 5687 tubes at the output. After some sessions, now I know why people are loving these type of DACs, which means my ADI-2 DAC will be retired from my primary system. I do agree that the RME does sound completely lifeless and flat after hearing what the R2R DAC is capable of. It brings out more detail and energy from the music. I have never listened to the SW1X DAC, but I dare say, if I had the chance to listen to the SW1X, I would probably going to fall in love with it too.

Time to find some NOS 5687 tubes to do my own experiment.

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #39 of 83

Congrats on what I am certain is an excellent DAC.

In your comments, you re-quote someone regarding dynamic range:

In one of the SW1X DAC reviews, someone else had mentioned this comment - “ I find it necessary to adjust the volume much more frequently than in the past. I believe this is due to more dynamic range though I am hard-pressed to explain the phenomenon”. My experience is similar. I now understand what the term “dynamic range” means.

These comments really resonate with me. I don't have any better words to describe this, but moving to my SW1X DAC, I really felt the same thing; more dynamic range somehow.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #41 of 83
I am finally going to finish my SW1X purchase, put down a deposit over a year ago, but have been on a crazy DIY tear and have been putting all of my fun money into my projects. I was reading into NOS R2R DAC design, but decided to pump the breaks and just buy one before I got sucked too far down into the rabbit hole :joy: unless Slawa somehow convinces me to go a different direction, I am going to get the most entry-level model, the DAC I STD.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #42 of 83
I am finally going to finish my SW1X purchase, put down a deposit over a year ago, but have been on a crazy DIY tear and have been putting all of my fun money into my projects. I was reading into NOS R2R DAC design, but decided to pump the breaks and just buy one before I got sucked too far down into the rabbit hole :joy: unless Slawa somehow convinces me to go a different direction, I am going to get the most entry-level model, the DAC I STD.
Entirely reasonable. I am sure you will enjoy it. I think you will have a SPDIF output from your streamer? I like that idea. Was it an Innuous? I like my SOTM streamer/ Roon setup, yet it seems somehow better to avoid yet-another-translation layer if possible.

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #44 of 83
I know and appreciate that individual wallets and tastes vary, but this seems like a lot of money for a DAC based on an old (and fast becoming scarce) chip. There are other options which are (apparently) excellent and cost much less based on the same technology, such as the Audial S4. I think the Border DAC also uses tubes and the same chip.

If I was going to drop £4K on a DAC I'd be looking at the Metrum Acoustics Pavane, or the Chord Hugo TT2.

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #45 of 83
Or for less, there are the discrete NOS ladder DACs from Audio-gd...

Different approach, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back