Sushi-fi?
Jun 25, 2007 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

mrdelayer

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, Head-fi, here's a -fi I haven't seen on here yet.

Yesterday was my birthday (the big 1-8) and, to celebrate, my girlfriend and I went to this sushi place, Yokonyu Sushi, in downtown San Antonio, TX.

We sat down, ordered our drinks, looked over for the menu for a while. For an appetizer, we ordered the Rock Crab, a tempura-battered crab with a chipotle-mayo and a yuzu (apparently an East Asian citrus) sauce. This was an excellent start to the meal, an explosion of both flavor and texture. The crunch from the tempura combined with the softness of the crab, the spiciness of the chipotle mixed with the slight seafoody crab flavor and the hint of citrus. But I digress, as that is not sushi at all...

After looking over the menu for a while, we decided to split the Nigiri Combo #1, and an Alamo Special for myself and the Downtown Roll for my girlfriend.

The two rolls arrived first. We exchanged a couple of pieces and began eating. Mine—the Alamo Special—was not unlike a California Roll, but instead of standard crab (or imitation crab), it contained masago, a type of caviar, and half the pieces were wrapped in pieces of raw tuna, which simply melted in my mouth, for lack of a better word. It was also topped with the same chipotle-mayo sauce from the Rock Crab.

The Downtown Roll was very similar, but no tuna or masago, but instead tempura shrimp, which added a nice little crunch to the roll, and was again topped with the chipotle mayo.

Next, the Nigirl Combo platter. It contained one piece each of six different types of sushi: albacore, masago, salmon, susuki, tamago and tuna. We asked for a knife and split each piece and half. We started with the tamago, as it was on the end and was a lot less intimidating than the piece of the other and, the masago. (Tamago was an omlette, actually, which went very well with the rice and the small band of nori wrapped around it.) I don't know the order of the fish that came after that, but I do remember that they were all delicious and had a texture like I had never felt before. Except one, whose taste and texture was very similar to that of avocados, right down to that little aftertaste you get in the back of your throat. And I love avocados. The masago, while horribly intimidating, was surprisingly delicious. While the caviar didn't have much taste—a little salty, but that's about it—it did have a texture; according to my girlfriend, it was reminiscent of couscous.

Next up was dessert; we looked at the menu for a bit and decided upon the Tempura Ice Cream, a green tea flavored ice cream battered in tempura, fried, sliced and drizzled with chocolate and strawberry sauces. The words to describe this escape me. Tempura again adds a nice little crunch, almost like an ice cream cone, but a different flavor. Exquisite.

All of this food did, however, make a bit of a dent in my wallet. I had a $25 gift certificate, and less that, plus tax and tip, the check came out to around $70. (I'm sure we could have eaten for a lot less, but we did eat a considerable amount of food.) I do recommend it if any of you happen to be in San Antonio any time soon.

Yesterday was my first time eating raw fish, but it most definitely won't be my last. (All of my prior sushi experiences involved cooked crab, krab, or shrimp, as far as seafood goes.) The funny thing is, I hate fish, normally.

Anyone else into sushi?

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 73
I was recently in Orange County and boy was I at home! I could not drive a minute without passing another sushi place. I found a couple authentic places to get some hq sushi and sashimi. My personal favorite is Dragon roll! (Crunchy roll + smoked eel on top)

While I can eat raw fish I still prefer it cooked. Some people like that "butter" feeling when they eat raw fish. Anyone ever dare to eat puffer?

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 73
I love sushi. Mostly maki but I go for unagi or ebi as well. My personal favorites is the teka maki (tuna) and the Spider roll (soft shelled crab).

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 73
My favorite is tempura shrimp wrapped in seaweed, then rice, then spicy salmon and unagi on top. It's not techniclly sushi, it's a roll, but I like it. Seaweed salad is good too.

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 73
ultimate freshness!!! growing up in Hawaii gotta love the poki!!!

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 73
Heh, I was at Zutto last night with my girlfriend. It's pretty good there with fair prices (Zutto in Great Neck, not the ones in the city). I'm not a fan of their Yaki Udon, but their Zutto Volcano Salad was very refershing. They make an awesome celery dressing and their sashimi was fresh and cut very well.

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ultimate freshness!!! growing up in Hawaii gotta love the poki!!!

Agreed, being one who is born and raised in the 808 state, can't beat fresh Ahi straight off the auction block and into the sushi restaurants. Also the many varieties of poke that's available here wheather it's made with Ahi, Kona or white crab, or Tako to name a few, the selections are endless.

I like all forms of sushi, in particular the ones made with tuna (yellow or blue fin tuna), Unagi, Tobiko, Tako, and soft shell crab.

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 73
Im a HUGE fan of hand rolls. I go with the yellow tail hand roll, either a spicy tuna hand roll and or a salmon hand roll. There are so many good items, sashimi is delicious as is sushi. When I can get it I go with uni too (sea urchin). Its not for the faint of heart though the texture is very unique and some people describe it as ' very sea food smelling and snot like ' but its is so delicious.

So.Cal/Orange County has some of the best places. Enjoy with a nice cold Japanese beer or Saki for optimum enjoyment!

-Emerson

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 73
Tuna Tataki. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone ever dare to eat puffer?

You know, I'm still feeling pretty daring after having eaten a large amount of raw fish for the first time last night; I'd try it if I could find it around here and hadn't made such a huge dent in my wallet with the sushi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back