Surgery Tomorrow
Apr 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=small]Those of you who frequent the NY area meets have met me and know why I refer to myself as “The Big Man of Audio”. In recent years I have allowed myself to get quite large, when I dieted I was very successful at losing 40 lbs. and then gaining back 70 lbs. My weight has been adversely affecting my health and my quality of life. Well Saturday I turn 49 and decided that something must be done. So in my effort to become a little person tomorrow I am going in for Bariatric Surgery.[/size]

[size=small]As of early last October I weighed an all time high of 435 lbs. (I’m 6’7” tall). Since then I have been very diligent in my efforts to control my Type II Diabetes and lose some weight. As of Tuesday I was down to 361 lbs. Some might question why have surgery if I can lose weight that effectively? It comes down to the fact that I have lost weight many times before, and two or three years later I find myself larger than ever. I look at it that this time I MUST lose it and keep it off. Gaining the weight back would finish me. So between the fact that the surgery all but cures Type II Diabetes and that it can be a successful tool in aiding long term weight loss I came to a decision to go through with the surgery.[/size]

[size=small]This is my first major surgery, so I am apprehensive to say the least.[/size]

[size=small]I know that I am not the most outgoing member of this community, but I’m sharing this information because I have learned to value this group of dysfunctional Headphone geeks that is the Head-Fi community. [/size]

[size=small]Wish me luck. [/size]
[size=small]Yikes (The soon to be former Big Man of Audio)[/size]

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 74
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]Those of you who frequent the NY area meets have met me and know why I refer to myself as “The Big Man of Audio”. In recent years I have allowed myself to get quite large, when I dieted I was very successful at losing 40 lbs. and then gaining back 70 lbs. My weight has been adversely affecting my health and my quality of life. Well Saturday I turn 49 and decided that something must be done. So in my effort to become a little person tomorrow I am going in for Bariatric Surgery.[/size]

[size=small]As of early last October I weighed an all time high of 435 lbs. (I’m 6’7” tall). Since then I have been very diligent in my efforts to control my Type II Diabetes and lose some weight. As of Tuesday I was down to 361 lbs. Some might question why have surgery if I can lose weight that effectively? It comes down to the fact that I have lost weight many times before, and two or three years later I find myself larger than ever. I look at it that this time I MUST lose it and keep it off. Gaining the weight back would finish me. So between the fact that the surgery all but cures Type II Diabetes and that it can be a successful tool in aiding long term weight loss I came to a decision to go through with the surgery.[/size]

[size=small]This is my first major surgery, so I am apprehensive to say the least.[/size]

[size=small]I know that I am not the most outgoing member of this community, but I’m sharing this information because I have learned to value this group of dysfunctional Headphone geeks that is the Head-Fi community. [/size]

[size=small]Wish me luck. [/size]
[size=small]Yikes (The soon to be former Big Man of Audio)[/size]

Wow! That sure is a MAJOR decision!
By all means, if you can do it without the sugery, then do it.
Im sure youve given it alot of thought.
Some types of operations are reversable.
I hope youre doing the type that is reversable.

With the diabetes, the problem will be if you ever go on insulin and get a LOW, and you have to eat enough to raise it and steady it, but you cant fit enough into your stomach, but lets hope that losing the weight cures or deminishes the diabetes enough to not have to worry about that.

I wish you the best of luck with it. Im also diabetic type 2 on insulin 3-5 times per day. I was 6' tall at 248 pounds, but now im 190. I was 185, but insulin caused me to gain some weight back, but ill lose it again hopefully.

GoodLuck!!!

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 74
Bariatric Surgery? That's the stomach banding technique that's been in the news a lot lately, isn't it. I've heard it's reversible and one of the most effective ways of losing weight. As one who has also been battling the pendulum of weight loss then added gain for many years, I wish you well and success with it.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bariatric Surgery? That's the stomach banding technique that's been in the news a lot lately, isn't it. I've heard it's reversible and one of the most effective ways of losing weight. As one who has also been battling the pendulum of weight loss then added gain for many years, I wish you well and success with it.

last time i heard it was on the news of NY Jets head coach Rex Ryan had the exact same surgery.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 74
Hey Yikes,

That drug they give you right before taking you into the operating room is some GOOD stuff! Enjoy that!

Here's to hoping you have a quick recovery and much success in becoming less of Yikes!
beerchug.gif

Keep us posted on your recovery and weight loss journey.

'Dwebe

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 74
wow.

I'm sure your family appreciate's that you're trying to stick around.
Back when my father had a little scare with his high blood pressure, right when he was released, he started watching his health and invested in a treadmill and a bike. It was something i've always appreciated.

I really wish you the best of luck.

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 74
Yikes,
I hope your surgery goes well and you reach your goal. All the best!!

Glenn

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 74
Thanks for everyones good wishes. The procedure that I'm having is Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y-Gastric Bypass. It is not entirely reversible. The procedure that some have mentioned is Lap Band. Lap band is reversible, but Lap Band is only restrictive, whereas Roux-en-Y-Gastric Bypass is both Restrictive and Absorptive. Roux-en-Y-Gastric Bypass has a better than 90% cure rate for Type II diabetes. Lap Band does not in of itself cure type II Diabetes, although with the extreme weight loss many Type II Diabetics will become non-symptomatic. My Father developed Type II in his middle 60's (He was not obese), so if I had Lap Band there is a good chance that I would become non-symptomatic but the symptoms would likely to return in 10-15 years. With Roux-en-Y-Gastric Bypass this is less likely.

30 years ago when I got out of boot camp I weighed 242 lbs. This is the least I have weighed in my adult life. For most of my six years in the Navy I weighed between 265 and 280. To be honest 270 has been my sweet spot. Since I got out of the Navy I have Yo-Yo'd between 270-300 on the low side and 435 on the high side 5-7 times. Each time the upper weight has gotten higher and higher. Losing weight has never been the issue. It's just that when I get down to a weight where I feel even remotely comfortable I revert back to old habits and slowly gain back what I lost plus some more for good measure. The much smaller stomach is suppose to help force the behavior change that is required to keep the weight off.

It's a MAJOR decision, but it's done. I have to be at the Hospital at 5AM

What's worse is they say don't bring anything, except maybe a book. No iPod with IEM, no Netbook (wouldn't it be great if they had wireless). No Kindle (Not that I own one, but it's on my list). I wonder how they'll react if I order a Pizza delivered
evil_smiley.gif
. I should be home later Saturday.

Surgery Tomorrow, my birthday on Saturday. I figured if ever there was a time to be lucky it's this weekend. So I purchased a bunch of Mega-Millions and Powerball tickets.

Wish me luck
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back