supraaural vs circumaural
Apr 26, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #16 of 37
Forget the Grados, to people nearby they sound like small speakers. I haven't heard the smaller AKGs but I think you'll find they don't have the SQ your looking for. The K271s are good but I wouldn't wear them in public.

You should look into either ATH-ESW9s or if you really want circumaural, the Beyer DT-250 (250)s. I thnk SQ wise they are similar, with the ATs are a bit more upfront with a little less treble roll-off and are a more portable friendly size and form factor. But the Beyers isolate better and are circumaural.

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[snip]

edit - Anyway, its your opinion how you prefer smaller drivers. Do you prefer smaller ones because they're smaller or because they sound different?

I don't prefer smaller ones or bigger ones, that's not what I said at all, since the size doesn't determine how good it is. Anyways, I think you are just basing your claims on pure supposition rather than an understanding of acoustics and electromechanics, so I will leave this issue alone and have less derailment in this thread.

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 37
I did say in general, which means its not a precise thing.

Please explain to me then, why almost all >$1000 dynamic headphones have comparatively big drivers?

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

I did say in general, which means its not a precise thing.

Please explain to me then, why almost all >$1000 dynamic headphones have comparatively big drivers?

First you must explain how they are better because of their size, and not because of better overall design and engineering instead (you haven't even specified what better means in this context either). Leather earpads are used often on expensive phones instead of pleather or velour, so does that mean if a headphone has leather earpads it will sound better than a headphone with pleather or velour pads? Correlation does not imply causation. But like I said that is not an issue for this thread.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #20 of 37
All of the headphones you've listed are open and will either let a lot of sound in, leak a lot of sound out, or, for most of them both. You probably want a closed headphone. Most closed headphone don't leak much sound. They very in how much they isolate. From my experience, the ones that isolate well are head vises that aren't comfortable to wear for long.

You might want to consider canal phones or IEMs. Almost all of them isolate better than any headphone.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #21 of 37
Better drivers are bigger, it is evidenced by high-end stuff.

They're not expensive because they're diamond-encrusted or have platinum headbands. A bit of R&D doesn't cost $4000.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Better drivers are bigger, it is evidenced by high-end stuff.

They're not expensive because they're diamond-encrusted or have platinum headbands. A bit of R&D doesn't cost $4000.

Ah, but regardless of factuality, "better drivers are bigger" is not the same claim as "bigger drivers are better" at all. If you decide on what you're actually trying to claim, I'll be glad to continue this discussion in PMs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #23 of 37
I'd recommend closed circum-aural phones. One drawback, though, is they are not easily portable--but you can buy a cheap pair for the streets.

Just a reminder, be sure to lock-up your kit when you're gone, or they may be gone when you return.

Apr 26, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, but regardless of factuality, "better drivers are bigger" is not the same claim as "bigger drivers are better" at all. If you decide on what you're actually trying to claim, I'll be glad to continue this discussion in PMs.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think we're saying similar.

It is factual that 'better drivers are bigger' in general terms[LOL]. They're easier to manipulate. Why the ESW9s make a big deal of having relatively big 42mm drivers.

Saying 'bigger drivers are better' is less true. Plenty of decent drivers are small.

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

It is factual that 'better drivers are bigger' in general terms[LOL].

If it is so funny, why do you not provide an actual explanation of these "general terms" that are proven to be better just by increasing driver diameter? "Easier to manipulate" is just a vague idea you're throwing out, and is meaningless without further explanation. Like I said before, I think this claim is not coming from any actual acoustic or electromechanical basis, and is just something you decided on your own (perhaps after reading that bit about the ESW9
wink.gif
).

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #26 of 37
since all the ones I am looking at are open air, I might stick with open air even though they do not isolate sound well. How much impact will there be from external noise on the Senn. or Grados? Is it truly not worth my time looking at open phones because I will be in a dorm room?

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantocrator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since all the ones I am looking at are open air, I might stick with open air even though they do not isolate sound well. How much impact will there be from external noise on the Senn. or Grados? Is it truly not worth my time looking at open phones because I will be in a dorm room?

IMO, yes. You also won't be able to wear them in environments where you need to be quiet, like libraries.

Although you should also get an opinion from someone closer to having been in a dorm. It's been 31 years for me, and I had a private room.

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #28 of 37
x2 on the sennheiser hd-25's. They are on ear but they aren't that bad at all, well they weren't until I received my denon d2000's. The velour pads add nicely to the comfort. They isolate very well, leak very little noise, you cant shake them off your head, and are i n d e s t r u c t a b l e. Also because of their size you can wear them around your neck with little discomfort when not in use. As far as sound goes they sound pretty decent, there is a review on the boards here somewhere that describes the sound fairly accurately, check that out to see if it suites your tastes.

Apr 27, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it is so funny, why do you not provide an actual explanation of these "general terms" that are proven to be better just by increasing driver diameter? "Easier to manipulate" is just a vague idea you're throwing out, and is meaningless without further explanation. Like I said before, I think this claim is not coming from any actual acoustic or electromechanical basis, and is just something you decided on your own (perhaps after reading that bit about the ESW9
wink.gif
).

D'oh, its an engineering principle and I am an engineer. Not always, but a lot of the time, bigger things are better.

I am a electro-mechanic, got a degree in Electrical Engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back