SuperMacro-3 is available with promotion (2XBUF634 for free)
Mar 16, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #166 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanz
atx,

I don't see the problem. The new amp costs $50 more than a V1.

If someone with a V1 simply wants to update to the V3, send in the amp with $50 and you're upgraded (Xin should be able to use your V1 option switches if already in place, but I haven't asked him about this).

The $99 option is for those folk who want the V3 amp board and the options switches board prewired as a pair. This is a great deal for those who want to simply add an enclosure and fixings to create a second amp.

I can't imagine how Xin could have been more fair. There was no financial penalty at all for being an early adopter.

Actually it's the same price til 4/31/05 if I return my SM V1 and order below:

SuperMacro-3 with 4 feature switches $349.99
Same as above, but added with four feature switches for impedance (0/75 ohm), amplification gain (5/15 dB), bass boost (0/5dB) and Crossfeed
(off/on)

2x BUF634 buffers (instead of 1x) soldered on board $29.99 (free till 4/31/2005)

plus $4.99 shipping

Total $354.95 This is what I paid for my V1 as configured

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #167 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
You got me there.
biggrin.gif
Ok, so if Xin has a trade-in option for $50 from V1 to V3, that's a fair deal, but it's not what I'm seeing from his site. Maybe I'm not reading the fine print.

"Upgrade module for SuperMacro-3 Standard $49.99"

Unfortunately any options you added to the v1 don't carry over (extra buffers, switches, etc) and you have to either re-buy those or swap them (the switches at least, can't swap the buffers) over to the v3 board. That's my only complaint, but if I wanted to I could do a little soldering and move the switches over to the v3 myself and it would just be $50 to upgrade. Then go buy a adaptor and I have a fully completed v3 and a caseless (but still operable with adaptor) v1.

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #168 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by sr20dem0n
"Upgrade module for SuperMacro-3 Standard $49.99"

Unfortunately any options you added to the v1 don't carry over (extra buffers, switches, etc) and you have to either re-buy those or swap them (the switches at least, can't swap the buffers) over to the v3 board. That's my only complaint, but if I wanted to I could do a little soldering and move the switches over to the v3 myself and it would just be $50 to upgrade. Then go buy a adaptor and I have a fully completed v3 and a caseless (but still operable with adaptor) v1.

If you send your v1 to him, he'll move the upgrades over and send it back for the $50. But then you don't get to keep your v1 board.

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #169 of 314
Quote:

Unfortunately any options you added to the v1 don't carry over (extra buffers, switches, etc) and you have to either re-buy those or swap them (the switches at least, can't swap the buffers) over to the v3 board. That's my only complaint

Yes, this was my original point. I miscalculated by $50.
biggrin.gif
Losing $50 by a few days still sucks. I think most people have the options since whats attractive about the supermacro is all those switches.

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #170 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Al
Actually it's the same price til 4/31/05 if I return my SM V1 and order below:

SuperMacro-3 with 4 feature switches $349.99
Same as above, but added with four feature switches for impedance (0/75 ohm), amplification gain (5/15 dB), bass boost (0/5dB) and Crossfeed
(off/on)

2x BUF634 buffers (instead of 1x) soldered on board $29.99 (free till 4/31/2005)

plus $4.99 shipping

Total $354.95 This is what I paid for my V1 as configured

So I think for the 30 day customers who want a V3 but also want to keep thier V1, Xin should give these customer a complete V3 for the price ($144.95) of these:

Upgrade to SuperMacro-3 with 4 feature switches $99.99
2x BUF634 buffers (instead of 1x) soldered on board $14.99
Black Enclosure for amps with 4 feature switches $19.99
Battery contacts (set of 4, the aluminum plate is not included) $4.99
Volume knob black $4.99 and assemble this myself; total =$144.95

Xin chose however to include his whole V1 customer base, even those beyond the 30 days looking to take care of those customers as well.

This is more money than I wanted to spend and I didn't think I would have to build my 2nd amp myself, even though I think it's easy enough.

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #171 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
biggrin.gif
Losing $50 by a few days still sucks. I think most people have the options since whats attractive about the supermacro is all those switches.

true, I'll just consider the extra $150 that I've spent as my payment for the entire v1. So it's like I bought a v3 for the normal price and then the v1 for 50% off.

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #172 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
biggrin.gif

You know, nobody's FORCING anyone to upgrade. And it's not like our v1 SMs suddenly sounds WORSE than when we first bought them. Reading your posts in this thread, one would think that the v1 SM is suddenly a piece of crap amp, which of course doesn't really make sense considering a lot of people bought them and raved about the SQ.

rolleyes.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #173 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
You know, nobody's FORCING anyone to upgrade. And it's not like our v1 SMs suddenly sounds WORSE than when we first bought them. Reading your posts in this thread, one would think that the v1 SM is suddenly a piece of crap amp, which of course doesn't really make sense considering a lot of people bought them and raved about the SQ.

rolleyes.gif

Agreed. The v1.0 still rocks.

Mar 16, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #174 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Anyway, if you have to spend an extra $50 just because you miss the V3 release date by one or two days, it still sucks.
eek.gif

I ordered my V2 on March 6th. I'm fine waiting an extra week for a V3, and I'm still less than the SR-71, and IMO getting a more expandable and compact product with more features I want.

Mar 16, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #175 of 314
Quote:

You know, nobody's FORCING anyone to upgrade. And it's not like our v1 SMs suddenly sounds WORSE than when we first bought them

Depends on your perspective. If $50 gets you the V3, then your V1 amp does suddenly sound worse than it is, because you're suddenly paying more money for an amp that's discontinued. If you bought the amp 30+1 days ago, that makes it worse.

But anyway, I don't want to argue over perspectives. If you're happy with your v1, then stick with it and more power to you. All of this is just my 2 cents.

Mar 16, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #176 of 314
Hello

this whole stuff seems incredible.

A month ago I started to begin saving for a SM, then came the v2 and I said wow that nice!!

But with the version 3 I will need extra 50$ ( because of the 4 switches I need them).

Now I've read about the supermini for 150$. If I want to upgrade to a full supermacro v3 how much could it cost? does Xin have prices for this upgrade?

Thanks!!

Mar 17, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #177 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Depends on your perspective. If $50 gets you the V3, then your V1 amp does suddenly sound worse than it is, because you're suddenly paying more money for an amp that's discontinued. If you bought the amp 30+1 days ago, that makes it worse.

But anyway, I don't want to argue over perspectives. If you're happy with your v1, then stick with it and more power to you. All of this is just my 2 cents.

I don't follow your line of reasoning. Explain to me how the sound from my version 1 SM is somehow worse now that the v3 is available?

Anyway, I am happy with my v1 SMs, but I've already ordered two upgrades.
wink.gif
I didn't have any problem shelling out the extra money because, just like the two v1 SMs I bought, the choice was mine and mine alone. Nobody forced me to upgrade, I chose to do so on my own because I want the best.

Mar 17, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #178 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
I don't follow your line of reasoning. Explain to me how the sound from my version 1 SM is somehow worse now that the v3 is available?

Anyway, I am happy with my v1 SMs, but I've already ordered two upgrades.
wink.gif
I didn't have any problem shelling out the extra money because, just like the two v1 SMs I bought, the choice was mine and mine alone. Nobody forced me to upgrade, I chose to do so on my own because I want the best.

My V1 and my 325i which I just got today just sounds golden to my ears! Wow, I PM'ed Mavis ealier and I said what could be better than a SM and I said "2 SM", dah man has 4 SM's, you're in heaven.

Mar 17, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #179 of 314
Quote:

It's because sound quality is always a function of price. A cmoy sounds great for its price. But if a cmoy costs $1000, the sound quality is awful !

Think of it this way. The Supermacro V1's market value is probably around $150. If you have V1 with switches ($300) but don't upgrade to V3, you would lose $150 just by doing nothing!. This is the opportunity cost of owning a V1 now that it's discontinued.

Now, if your Supermacro V1 sounds great at $300, wouldn't it sound even better at $150 ? By introducing the V3 and discontinuing V1, Xin effectively de-valued your V1 by half, hence, making the sound quality worse !

Mar 17, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #180 of 314
You are confused between value and sound quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
It's because sound quality is always a function of price. A cmoy sounds great for its price. But if a cmoy costs $1000, the sound quality is awful !

Now, if your Supermacro V1 sounds great at $300, wouldn't it sound even better at $150 ? By introducing the V3 and discontinuing V1, Xin effectively de-valued your V1 by half, hence, making the sound quality worse !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back