Superlux HD668B (!!!!!) ... Lordy...
Jan 7, 2016 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus

I got these for about $30 bucks on a Massdrop ... they just came in today and not really knowing what to expect, I put them on and plugged them into the audio out of my MSI GS70 Stealth Pro (which has a really nice DAC/amp) ... 

And...

(!!!!!!!!)

Good godamighty!

Unbelievably good ... right out of the box .. listening to some well recorded live Jazz (The Very Tall Band) ... it's just staggering how ridiculously good they sound.

My only benchmark is my Grado PS1000's, which are at home (I'm at work) ... but these do not sound bad at all compared to those. In fact, I am *very* much reminded of the PS1000's ... folks might not agree with me ... but the bass (especially the bass) and mids and highs are very reminiscent of the sound of the PS1000's ... in fact, I'd say the Superlux's have better *sub* bass than the PS1000's ... which are notorious for lacking sub bass but being heavy in mid bass ... soundstage is also killer though I'm sure not the cavernous stage of the Grados ...

Can't wait to get home and do some A/B on my proper desktop DAC/amp setup ... 

But man ...

For 30 dollars? These things just *destroy* anything else I've heard in the sub 500 dollar category (especially all Senns other than the HD800's) ... sue me, but this is a subjective sport, after all.

But damn are they good.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 23

I got these for about $30 bucks on a Massdrop ... they just came in today and not really knowing what to expect, I put them on and plugged them into the audio out of my MSI GS70 Stealth Pro (which has a really nice DAC/amp) ... 

And...

(!!!!!!!!)

Good godamighty!

Unbelievably good ... right out of the box .. listening to some well recorded live Jazz (The Very Tall Band) ... it's just staggering how ridiculously good they sound.

My only benchmark is my Grado PS1000's, which are at home (I'm at work) ... but these do not sound bad at all compared to those. In fact, I am *very* much reminded of the PS1000's ... folks might not agree with me ... but the bass (especially the bass) and mids and highs are very reminiscent of the sound of the PS1000's ... in fact, I'd say the Superlux's have better *sub* bass than the PS1000's ... which are notorious for lacking sub bass but being heavy in mid bass ... soundstage is also killer though I'm sure not the cavernous stage of the Grados ...

Can't wait to get home and do some A/B on my proper desktop DAC/amp setup ... 

But man ...

For 30 dollars? These things just *destroy* anything else I've heard in the sub 500 dollar category (especially all Senns other than the HD800's) ... sue me, but this is a subjective sport, after all.

But damn are they good.

Can't wait to hear more. They seem to be well liked according to the reviews on Amazon. Sell for around $45 there. Be nice if I can forgo my future plans to get a set of the HD-800's and pick these up instead for a bit less!

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 23

Can't wait to hear more. They seem to be well liked according to the reviews on Amazon. Sell for around $45 there. Be nice if I can forgo my future plans to get a set of the HD-800's and pick these up instead for a bit less!

I'm going to do some extensive listening between the Superlux's and my PS1000's and via my desktop rig and will post some thoughts in a bit ...

One thing I can tell you, though is that the Superlux's are *very* responsive to output power/amping.  Out of my notebooks audio out (which is quite decently amp'd btw) ... they sound stupidly good ... clean, no distortions anywhere, nothing fatiguing or "wrong." But out of my Cowon J3, what I think is a rather under powered player (the thing runs for nearly 70 hours on one charge for crying out loud) ... they sound really bad ... "tinny," ... lacking bass and just "presence" altogether ... the highs, especially sound real bad out of the Cowon portable ... plug back in to the well amp'd output of my MSI GS70 Pro laptop and *boom* ... just awesome (the bass is stupidly good on these ... not overblown, just right and goes down nice and deep ... tight and controlled).

Seriously impressed with them, and I'm super hard to please; I love the HD800's (but can't stand the 580/600/650) ... and I certainly don't think when getting down to real listening that the Superlux cans could possibly be better than the HD800's (nor the Grado PS1000's) ... but I can easily say I *vastly* prefer the Superlux over all the other Senns ...

$30?  $45? ... in either  case, it's just a ridiculous amount of performance for the money.

I'll post more later ...

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 23
I had some superluxes a while back (can't remember wich one , but one of the Beyer clones) they sounded ok for the price but in the end i gifted them. I'll be interested to read your further experience of these (audio technica clones?)

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 23

I've been listening at home with my desktop setup: MHDT Labs Stockholm v2 DAC --> Mapletree Ear+ Purist amplifier (a very analogue, very "non digital" sounding chain, BTW) ... and they sound stellar.

Going back and forth between my Grado PS1000's and the HD668B's ... for the life of me, I can't help but describe the Superlux's as: "The *VERY* Poor Man's PS1000's" ... the imaging, the sound stage, the relation among highs/mids/lows and the overall exceptional clarity (zero  veil of any sort) ... are all very similar between the two headphones ...

The PS1000's are obviously the more mature, more refined headphone, there can be no doubt about it when A/B listening ... but the HD668B's still sound like a PS1000 "in development" ... say, a very early try at doing what the PS1000's do so well ... to personify?  I'd call the HD668B a pubescent PS1000, with odd, gangly limbs and acne, uncoordinated at times ... but showing gobs and gobs of promise. This  teenager would certainly be at the head of it's class, that's for sure.

The soundstage of the HD668B, though impressive, is nonetheless closer to one's ear than is the cavernous PS1000.  The Superlux is still formidable, though, giving exceptional spatial impressions and great 3D imaging. It destroys any closed can I've heard and many open cans, in this regard. I would say sound stage is one of this headphones strongest selling points.

The bass on the HD668B is about equal with the PS1000's regarding "amount."  In fact, tonally, they are both very similar with the PS1000's being a bit more mid bass emphasized. The HD668B, at times, actually seems to dip a bit lower into the early sub bass. Both the HD668B and the PS1000's both have great sounding bass and I would have to say I enjoy both cans equally in regards to those frequencies. Further, there is not a hint of "wool" to the bass ... zero distortion and it is smooth, clean and tight. Absolutely astonishing bass.  I would not call them bass neutral as they do present the bass very well (say versus the far more bass neutral AKG 701 or Shure SRH-840). It's not overblown, though ... certainly not bass head type trash ... but if you've heard the PS1000's, then you have a pretty good idea of what the bass is like with the HD668B (bit more sub bass on the HD668B but otherwise, they are very close relatives regarding bass).

The highs on the HD668B are also quite nice. Not quite as smooth as the PS1000's and but they are never fatiguing. It's only when doing A/B switches that the highs seem a tad less smooth in the HD668B than the PS1000's ... but after a few seconds listening to the HD668B,  I find myself forgetting the difference altogether. 

The mids are where I hear the biggest difference and where the PS1000's demonstrate a most significant degree of superiority. The mids from the HD668B are really quite good ... placed about the same relative position among frequencies as the mids from the PS1000; in both cans, the mid range frequencies certainly carry the mix.  With the HD668B the mids are are noticeably different in "tonality" than those from the PS1000. The HD668B mids have ever the slightest bit higher frequency tonality to them, perhaps meaning the mids bleed a bit with the highs, I'm not sure as I'm no expert in dissecting such differences.  But the difference is certainly there.  The PS1000's mids, on the other hand, though again not any more recessed or up front, nonetheless just have this "creamy" tonality to them that is just more smooth than anything I could ever imagine in regard to midrange frequencies from headphones.  I've really never heard anything like it. And to be sure, I am comparing a $30 headphone with a $1500 headphone and so thank god there are these differences! LOL ...  but the fight the HD668B puts up here is still stupidly impressive. Which is to say the mids from the HD668B are fantastic. Nothing at all wrong with them in my opinion and I like the fact that they are the defining aspect of the listen (as with the PS1000's or my SE535's for that matter). 

The details and micro details between the HD668B and the PS1000 are nearly identical. Listening to various tracks featuring subtle fret board clicks, symphonic bits with background noises and such ... I find the HD668B just about as resolving as the PS1000. This is damn impressive as I have so many other headphones that can't touch such resolution.

Also impressive is the clarity of the window on the music that the HD668B provides ... as mentioned previously .. absolutely ZERO veil. The HD668B are spatious, airy, superbly clear sounding with exceptional separation among players and instruments ... no muddiness here in the least ... just ridiculously good clarity. Again ... eerily reminiscent of the PS1000's similar stance on such things ...

All that said ... the HD668B ... at $30 is far and a way a more enjoyable, more natural, more "audiophile" sounding headphone than *so* many more expensive headphones I've owned/heard.  Had I a listening choice?  I would take the HD668B over any of the Shure full sized headphones (owned many), any of the Senns other than the HD800, certainly over the AKG 701's, also over the LCD variants (had LCD-2's/3's and found them somewhat lifeless in a HD650 sort of way) ... 

If you've heard the PS1000's and liked them? I would say waste no time in dropping the pittance of coin required for the HD668B. It's really that good I think ... especially with Jazz, chamber, classical and other varieties of music which benefit greatly from sound staging, detail and imaging ... which is not to say they aren't good with rock or other genres because they are (was just listening to some Fu Manchu with them and it was super good) ... but it's the nuance and spatial qualities of the HD668B that really make those aforementioned genres sound so divine (*especially* Jazz of the order of Scott Hamilton and the like) ... you'll never believe you are wearing $30 headphones....

:)

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #9 of 23
Another comment I can make in my ongoing A/B listening between the PS1000 and the Superlux cans is that the Superlux have really incredible power handling capabilities...

The PS1000 is by far the better listen ... just way more mature and smooth ... but one caveat about the PS1000 is that past a certain volume threshold (approaching the *very* loud point) ... they begin to fall apart, the bass bloats and distorts and overall so dominates the sonic landscape that they just don't sound good. Again, this is at the point one could describe as almost "unsafe" levels of loundness, but still the fact remains, the PS1000 is at it's sexy, elegant best when listening at moderate to loud (but safe) levels; I think this is by design and really have no issue with it as I'm never inclined to damage my ears, anyway.

But I am fond of exploring driver design ... and an interesting bit about the Superlux cans (much like my Shure SE535's) is that they maintain their composure right up through the most ear splitting of volume levels; no matter the loudness, all the frequencies maintain a proper relation to one another and scale brilliantly.  As loud as I can stand it out of my Mapletree amp, the Superlux never once distort in any given frequency.  Pretty amazing.  I remember demoing the Shure SE846 headphones and being amazed that this same exercise in gain control was evident in those headphones ... I'm pretty sure I even mentioned it in my review of those latter mentioned IEM's.

Anyway ... been listening off and on throughout the weekend and am still increasingly impressed.  I have some velour AKG pads coming this next week and look forward to feeling/hearing any differences.

BTW: I've found another headphone, purportedly also produced by Superlux but marketed under the name "Samson" ... the Samson SR850 ... which is obviously the same basic design as the HD668B and also uses the exact same drivers.  Interesting to me, though is that the "Samson" cans are rated at 32ohm whereas the Superlux branded cans are rated at 56ohm ... also, the Samsons come with velour pads and have an ear cup design that's not quite as "ugly" as the Superlux variants. Further, I think I'd like the "strap" sort of head rest as opposed to the small little "wing pad" head rests ...

I'm going to order a pair to compare and keep whichever I like the best:

Still ugly but I like the style of the vents on these ear cups more than the circular ones on the Superlux's... and again, I think that head support strap will be more comfortable...

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #10 of 23
  Another comment I can make in my ongoing A/B listening between the PS1000 and the Superlux cans is that the Superlux have really incredible power handling capabilities...

The PS1000 is by far the better listen ... just way more mature and smooth ... but one caveat about the PS1000 is that past a certain volume threshold (approaching the *very* loud point) ... they begin to fall apart, the bass bloats and distorts and overall so dominates the sonic landscape that they just don't sound good. Again, this is at the point one could describe as almost "unsafe" levels of loundness, but still the fact remains, the PS1000 is at it's sexy, elegant best when listening at moderate to loud (but safe) levels; I think this is by design and really have no issue with it as I'm never inclined to damage my ears, anyway.

But I am fond of exploring driver design ... and an interesting bit about the Superlux cans (much like my Shure SE535's) is that they maintain their composure right up through the most ear splitting of volume levels; no matter the loudness, all the frequencies maintain a proper relation to one another and scale brilliantly.  As loud as I can stand it out of my Mapletree amp, the Superlux never once distort in any given frequency.  Pretty amazing.  I remember demoing the Shure SE846 headphones and being amazed that this same exercise in gain control was evident in those headphones ... I'm pretty sure I even mentioned it in my review of those latter mentioned IEM's.

Anyway ... been listening off and on throughout the weekend and am still increasingly impressed.  I have some velour AKG pads coming this next week and look forward to feeling/hearing any differences.

BTW: I've found another headphone, purportedly also produced by Superlux but marketed under the name "Samson" ... the Samson SR850 ... which is obviously the same basic design as the HD668B and also uses the exact same drivers.  Interesting to me, though is that the "Samson" cans are rated at 32ohm whereas the Superlux branded cans are rated at 56ohm ... also, the Samsons come with velour pads and have an ear cup design that's not quite as "ugly" as the Superlux variants. Further, I think I'd like the "strap" sort of head rest as opposed to the small little "wing pad" head rests ...

I'm going to order a pair to compare and keep whichever I like the best:

Still ugly but I like the style of the vents on these ear cups more than the circular ones on the Superlux's... and again, I think that head support strap will be more comfortable...

Think I like the headband on the Samon better, and I agree the valor pads might be more comfortable. Question is the sound. Pricing is in the same ball park. Will wait for your comparison/report before picking which one.

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 23

Think I like the headband on the Samon better, and I agree the valor pads might be more comfortable. Question is the sound. Pricing is in the same ball park. Will wait for your comparison/report before picking which one.

I've done a bit of reading around and the more technical comments comparing the two say that the Superlux is a more neutral (though it's still not neutral in my book) headphone ... a more "audiophile" sounding headphone and that the Samson's...though *very* similar (it's the same drivers after all) are slightly more tuned towards a "popular" music sound (more bass) and that they both have the same slight treble spike around the 8khz region (which I can confirm on the Superlux cans).

I've decided not to buy the Samson's, having read those comments.  I really would prefer the leather strap as opposed to the little "wing" pads that the Samson has but I'm really pleased with the "just north of neutral highs and lows of the superlux and don't really want anything more tipped up in the bass region...

I'd say either headphone is a no brainer, though ...

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 23

I've done a bit of reading around and the more technical comments comparing the two say that the Superlux is a more neutral (though it's still not neutral in my book) headphone ... a more "audiophile" sounding headphone and that the Samson's...though *very* similar (it's the same drivers after all) are slightly more tuned towards a "popular" music sound (more bass) and that they both have the same slight treble spike around the 8khz region (which I can confirm on the Superlux cans).

I've decided not to buy the Samson's, having read those comments.  I really would prefer the leather strap as opposed to the little "wing" pads that the Samson has but I'm really pleased with the "just north of neutral highs and lows of the superlux and don't really want anything more tipped up in the bass region...

I'd say either headphone is a no brainer, though ...

Ok, thanks...

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 23
  Ok, thanks...

On second thought ... I went ahead and ordered them ... they'll be here on Tuesday and I'll post some comments regarding any differences between the two ...

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 23
A headfi-er states that the Samson is not identical to Superlux http://www.head-fi.org/t/692745/conundrum-the-difference-between-samson-sr850s-950s-and-their-superlux-progenitors#post_11950562
I've just had the Samson Sr950 (closed back) for 3 days, and it seriously makes me think of selling my Grado Sr325is, and it only costs 35$ (!!!)

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 23
I've decided to keep the Samson HR850's ... they sound almost identical to the Superlux variant with a few very subtle differences...

The Samson's are a tad warmer sounding than the Superlux with ever so slightly less emphasis on the highs.  Also, the Samson's sound stage seems a bit narrower than the Superlux. The Samson's are technically the more comfortable with the velour pads and especially the head strap type support as opposed to the "wings" of the Superlux. I didn't really find the "wings" uncomfortable at all, really but just like the more secure feeling of the Samson head strap, support system...

The Samson's are easier to drive as well ... being 32ohm as opposed to the Superlux 56ohm ...

I *do* prefer the detachable cable of the Superlux, however ... 

But otherwise, I find them nearly indistinguishable regarding sonics.  Both are ridiculously good ...

BTW: My Superlux are up in the For Sale section here at Head-fi.org.  $40.00 with both pleather *and* velour pads ... price includes shipping and fees.

FYI.

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back