Superlux HD668B Headphone Review by mark2410
Aug 20, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #17 of 76

Does the stunning audio quality still apply if price isn't factored in?  Disregarding build quality, do these sound better than higher priced [insert headphone here]?

well...... no, and yes.

all things are and must be within the context of price.  do these compare with the HE-1000?  no of course they dont.  however i challenge anyone who frequents headfi regularly to try a pair and not be impressed.

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #18 of 76
What would you say is the cheapest set of neutral/studio over-ears that could be called a "total upgrade" to these? (No loss of anything the 668B does well, only improvements on top.)

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #19 of 76
Is it really hard making closed back headphones of this design? AKG has one (k240) for about 50 bucks. But the closed version k271 is $150... Does it really take a 100 bucks to cover those holes?

I wish Superlux made a closed version of the 668B...

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #20 of 76
  well...... no, and yes.

all things are and must be within the context of price.  do these compare with the HE-1000?  no of course they dont.  however i challenge anyone who frequents headfi regularly to try a pair and not be impressed.

Some cheaper headphones sound better than more expensive ones.  

These are often closer to $50, so then they start competing with things like SHP9500 and used HD558.  So I think things like that would be fair comparisons to make even when price is included. At around $25 shipped, I certainly agree there is little competition.  

Is it really hard making closed back headphones of this design? AKG has one (k240) for about 50 bucks. But the closed version k271 is $150... Does it really take a 100 bucks to cover those holes?

I wish Superlux made a closed version of the 668B...

Samson SR950 is probably close.

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #21 of 76
Thanks for the review.

I find that the trade offs are build quality and comfort.

-  right channel stopped working after a few days. Had to be opened and re-soldered, which was easy to do btw.

- grip is a bit too tight and uncomfortable out of the box. 

- original pads were awful and were replaced. 

For the price of 37 USD + 25 USD for pads, these are okay.  

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #23 of 76
  Samson SR950 is probably close.

Except not really. Reviews say they're bassy or "V-shaped", so not studio monitor material like the 668Bs.

The Superlux HD669 (and maybe the HD661) seems like the better closed equivalent.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #26 of 76
  Except not really. Reviews say they're bassy or "V-shaped", so not studio monitor material like the 668Bs.

The Superlux HD669 (and maybe the HD661) seems like the better closed equivalent.

Don't know why anyone would say that. I once owned the SR950 and it was my most bass-shy can. The 668B is definitely bassier. Probably because my pair of SR950 used velour earpads instead of vinyl.

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #27 of 76
I had a 668B for nearly a year now (I bought it off my friend) and even though I own headphones way more expensive than it is, I still use it sometimes to remind myself what a DAMN good headphone is, bar even the price. 

The treble may have been slightly sharp but it's detailed for something as cheap as it is, but with a thick wool pad it calms itself down and mellows down removing the edge off nasty modern music (thankfully I don't really listen to those)

As studio monitors they are the cheapest option there are. I might even say they are as good or better than an AD500X (For the AT fanboys the latter applies)

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #29 of 76
Thanks for the review Mark. I'm convinced that many Head-Fiers are treble-shy bassheads but refuse to admit it in the headlong rush to join the ranks of 'serious' audiophiles who dont listen to bass-heavy gear (apparently). When I owned Grados, I lost count of the people here who bagged them for the 'treble ambush' and when I bought the AD900 many of those same people bitched about A-T's 'sweet treble'. Dont even get me started on the avalanche of complaints about the HD800, but I enjoyed them immensely. No-one likes a shrill sound signature, but some run away shrieking as soon as they see the term 'bright' used in a review. 

I'll give the Superlux cans a try - at the price, there is very little downside. Those who live in fear of a little treble can make their own arrangements. 
tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back