Superlux HD668B Headphone Review by mark2410
Aug 25, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #46 of 76
  I have the superlux 681 evo's. Are 668b better than the Evo's? 

yes.

though the Evo's are warmer, thicker so while the 668 are "better" thout doesnot strictly mean you will like them more.  however at their price its well worth a try

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #47 of 76
  I have the superlux 681 evo's. Are 668b better than the Evo's? 

I have both. I'd say the HD668b feel better built and have a better soundstage. The Evos have more bass and are less forward so as far as the sound I'd say it kind of depends on what you like. I prefer the HD668b. If you get the HD668b swap the HD681 EVO velour pads on them.

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #54 of 76
[Removed]

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #55 of 76
Posting an entire review to ask a single question is very poor netiquette - lets not do that, please.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #56 of 76
   So when he goes so far out as to say the SHP9500s are "HD600s with better soundstage and more comfort" I... have to take that with a whole sack of salt, never mind a grain. :p

woah, yeah if they actually were, besting the ancient and venerable HD600 particularly in sound stage id have expected headfi to explode with talk of them.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #57 of 76
  woah, yeah if they actually were, besting the ancient and venerable HD600 particularly in sound stage id have expected headfi to explode with talk of them.

Well, if you look at the measurements on GoldenEars you have to admit the SHP9500 is pretty similar to the HD600 in its neutrality, albeit with earlier roll-off at both ends of the spectrum, and has a fast-decaying step response that might produce some special satisfaction for those who love near-instant bass decay on natural instruments, but overall its accuracy seems to correlate well with its price in being an entire class below the HD600s.

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #58 of 76
  Well, if you look at the measurements on GoldenEars you have to admit the SHP9500 is pretty similar to the HD600 in its neutrality, albeit with earlier roll-off at both ends of the spectrum, and has a fast-decaying step response that might produce some special satisfaction for those who love near-instant bass decay on natural instruments, but overall its accuracy seems to correlate well with its price in being an entire class below the HD600s.

well they graph similarly but there i a reason i dont care about and dont use such things.  you see all they tell you is its sound balance, thats it which i find to be largely useless a metric any more that a cars 0 to 60 measurement tells you anything particularly constructive about the car in question.  we instinctively like these figures as they quantify something but their actual information conveyed is not actually very useful in telling you much of anything about the item.

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #59 of 76
  well they graph similarly but there i a reason i dont care about and dont use such things.  you see all they tell you is its sound balance, thats it which i find to be largely useless a metric any more that a cars 0 to 60 measurement tells you anything particularly constructive about the car in question.  we instinctively like these figures as they quantify something but their actual information conveyed is not actually very useful in telling you much of anything about the item.

No, you need to look at the grand scheme of things, unfortunately, one of the key aspects of them is distortion at any given frequency and impedance graph as well since some weird impedance graphs can make it sound different with some amps or devices.

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #60 of 76
  well they graph similarly but there i a reason i dont care about and dont use such things.  you see all they tell you is its sound balance, thats it which i find to be largely useless a metric

That's... amusing. The frequency response is the most useful metric there is, and even so it's not the only thing measured at Golden Ears - as you could easily see they also show the step response, impulse response and decay plot, so you can get a more complete picture of what the device in question can do. And hard data like that should be seen as more reliable than subjective impressions from strangers with various personal preferences, though if you read enough strangers' impressions you could get pretty close to a proper "objective" impression of the product.

But anyway, this is the age-old debate of "measure it" vs. "just listen to it", we're not going to settle the issue in a 668B thread anyway. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back