Superlux 668B upgrade to Beyerdynamic DT770 worth it?
Feb 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

smodtactical

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the Superlux 668B and I definitely like it. Puts out nice clean highs and has good mids but Im somewhat disappointed by the bass. This is my only semi-decent headphones. I was looking for a potential upgrade in the beyerdynamic DT770. I like what I hear about the DT770 because of its strong build, excellent bass and overall excellent sound (from what people say).

The question now is, do you think its worth upgrading to the beyerdynamics? Do you think once I get them and listen to them they wont be noticeably superior to the superluxes? I don't want to drop $170 unless I'm getting much better bass and better overall sound.

What do you think? Thanks! 

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
I have the Superlux 668B and I definitely like it. Puts out nice clean highs and has good mids but Im somewhat disappointed by the bass. This is my only semi-decent headphones

That's exactly what I think whenever I listen to mine. It isn't a fault correctable with eq either - the bass lacks definition and crispness rather than volume. My solution was to switch to HD25-i-iis. These certainly provide a huge improvement in the quality of the bass and are better in every other way than the 668s. Hopefully someone can come along to tell you about the Beyers shortly. I

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 18
I haven't heard the Superlux, but I just got a pair of DT770's (80 Ohm). I'm impressed with it for the price. The sound is nice and crisp with good impact. I really like the bass on it; it's not so much that it ruins the sound signature, but it's enough to be fun and offer something different. More importantly, it presents some great sub bass if the song calls for it, not just a mid bass hump. The construction is also good, I would say it's more sturdy than high quality. The construction doesn't have a really refined feel, but I'd say that's appropriate for a headphone of this price. They're quite comfortable as well.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 18
Not interested in the Beyers because from what I've read so far, they don't seem to have the kind of sound signature I would like.

However, I just wanted to say I am glad I am not the only one who was unimpressed with HD668b's sound. I found the bass very boomy and undefined as well - I don't know why everyone keeps saying the bass is nice and tight - do I have bad ears or do people not know what tight bass means??

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
Not interested in the Beyers because from what I've read so far, they don't seem to have the kind of sound signature I would like.

However, I just wanted to say I am glad I am not the only one who was unimpressed with HD668b's sound. I found the bass very boomy and undefined as well - I don't know why everyone keeps saying the bass is nice and tight - do I have bad ears or do people not know what tight bass means??

Interesting that you found the bass boomy, to me I found the bass insufficient and not 'boomy' enough. Maybe I'm a bass head, I don't know but I certainly wouldn't want headphones that have muddy bass that disturbs mids and highs. I just want powerful bass that goes along with great mid and highs.

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
Interesting that you found the bass boomy, to me I found the bass insufficient and not 'boomy' enough. Maybe I'm a bass head, I don't know but I certainly wouldn't want headphones that have muddy bass that disturbs mids and highs. I just want powerful bass that goes along with great mid and highs.

I think we have slightly different definition of the word "boomy".

I think you meant the HD668b's bass isn't "punchy".
wink_face.gif
Drums don't have proper impact and techno doesn't quite "oontz oontz" in that addictive way.

To me that's due to the lack of definition and tightness in the bass of HD668b, not due to the lack of quantity in the bass (which, in my opinion, the 668b has plenty of) .The upper bass region of the 668b bleeds into the mids in my opinion, drums and cellos often drown out the mids, which is already recessed.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
I think we have slightly different definition of the word "boomy".

I think you meant the HD668b's bass isn't "punchy".
wink_face.gif
Drums don't have proper impact and techno doesn't quite "oontz oontz" in that addictive way.

To me that's due to the lack of definition and tightness in the bass of HD668b, not due to the lack of quantity in the bass (which, in my opinion, the 668b has plenty of) .The upper bass region of the 668b bleeds into the mids in my opinion, drums and cellos often drown out the mids, which is already recessed.

I see what your saying. Upon further listening and turning up my volume I did feel there is more bass quantity than I initially thought, especially when listening to bass tests.In terms of whether or not the bass  is tight or not, I'm just not sure. I don't  have much experience listening to other high end headphones. I can say that I feel the bass doesn't bleed into the mids or highs.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 18
to me hd668b bass is not boomy or insufficient just not punchy enough, but overall i got no complain as how they priced it

as for upgrading i say why not..this hobby is about discovery finding the headphone that suits your ear..have a listen and decide 

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 18
I have 668B, and my father has DT770.  For me both doesn't have good low bass extension.  668B sounds decent, but lacks of dynamic and low bass extension.  DT770 has better dynamic and better tonal balance in the mid bass to lower treble area, but also doesn't have good extension on the low bass and upper treble.  From about 8-9 superlux headphones that I have, HD681 is my favorite.  Better detail, dynamic, and frequency extension, but rather too bright for many recordings.  If you like Superlux tonal balance, I suggest you wait a while for the HD681 EVO, the new model of HD681 which said to have improved treble, smoother and less bright than the original HD681.

http://www.superlux.com.tw/productInfo.do?pdctid=47b91797-c1bc-49cd-b85b-797fdc976792&pdkid=3a182f85-9464-41bf-b4c7-d618102f84ac&level=2&lv0=1

It also looks pretty nice from the picture :)  I'm waiting for it to become available.

It is not easy to find open / semi open headphone with good bass.  My favorite is DT880 Pro 600 ohms and T1.  But both are on much higher price category.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
I see what your saying. Upon further listening and turning up my volume I did feel there is more bass quantity than I initially thought, especially when listening to bass tests.In terms of whether or not the bass  is tight or not, I'm just not sure. I don't  have much experience listening to other high end headphones. I can say that I feel the bass doesn't bleed into the mids or highs.

Hmm, the easiest way to explain what tight bass is... imagine a fast-paced but very bassy music track. On cheap headphones with poor bass control (loose bass), fast, successive bass beats will kind of "blur" into one another. Part of the reason is because cheap headphones use drivers that have poor control of their diaphragm (this "control" determines the "resolution" of headphones; the higher the resolution, the better control the drivers have over sound reproduction, and the more details you'll be able to hear). The other reason cheap headphones have blurry bass presentation is because they tend to boost the mid-bass (which is around 100Hz) to create the impression that it is bass-heavy - the problem is an overabundance of mid-bass tends to give music a "blurry" quality, because it drowns out the sub-bass as well as the details in lower mid-range.

On expensive headphones with tight bass, you will be able to hear each beat distinctly, because good driver units inside these headphones control the movement of the diaphragm better, and because mid-bass isn't boosted (I consider that a cheap trick =_=). If bass is boosted on expensive headphones, typically this is done in a very linear fashion throughout the entire bass spectrum (nothing "peaks out")

This effect is also very audible when you compare cheap subwoofers in budget home theatre systems against expensive subwoofers.  Cheap headphones and speakers like to "pretend" to be exciting by providing a large quantity of bass, but the quality of bass is poor.

Personally I think a lot of bass addicts are that way because their first impression of "good sound" is "a lot of bass", because the first time they bought a full-sized headphone it was probably a cheap model that had thundering bass.  Then they listen to expensive headphones and find them "bass shy". I don't think most music actually contains that much bass, realistically speaking.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
Hmm, the easiest way to explain what tight bass is... imagine a fast-paced but very bassy music track. On cheap headphones with poor bass control (loose bass), fast, successive bass beats will kind of "blur" into one another. Part of the reason is because cheap headphones use drivers that have poor control of their diaphragm (this "control" determines the "resolution" of headphones; the higher the resolution, the better control the drivers have over sound reproduction, and the more details you'll be able to hear). The other reason cheap headphones have blurry bass presentation is because they tend to boost the mid-bass (which is around 100Hz) to create the impression that it is bass-heavy - the problem is an overabundance of mid-bass tends to give music a "blurry" quality, because it drowns out the sub-bass as well as the details in lower mid-range.

On expensive headphones with tight bass, you will be able to hear each beat distinctly, because good driver units inside these headphones control the movement of the diaphragm better, and because mid-bass isn't boosted (I consider that a cheap trick =_=). If bass is boosted on expensive headphones, typically this is done in a very linear fashion throughout the entire bass spectrum (nothing "peaks out")

This effect is also very audible when you compare cheap subwoofers in budget home theatre systems against expensive subwoofers.  Cheap headphones and speakers like to "pretend" to be exciting by providing a large quantity of bass, but the quality of bass is poor.

Personally I think a lot of bass addicts are that way because their first impression of "good sound" is "a lot of bass", because the first time they bought a full-sized headphone it was probably a cheap model that had thundering bass.  Then they listen to expensive headphones and find them "bass shy". I don't think most music actually contains that much bass, realistically speaking.

Agree, but bass quantity add the 'fun' factor :)  
I'm not basshead, listen to classical more than 50% of my music, boomy and too much bass gives me headache, but I do wish my HD800 and T1 have fatter bass :wink:

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #13 of 18
I think bass quantity add fun factor in only genres that are already bass-heavy (or in games/movies); otherwise I tend to find it distracting for orchestral or vocal pieces.

For the majority of stuffs I listen to, a warm-tilt and sparkly treble adds the fun factor since it brings out the vocals and instruments.
dt880smile.png

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
I think bass quantity add fun factor in only genres that are already bass-heavy (or in games/movies); otherwise I tend to find it distracting for orchestral or vocal pieces.

For the majority of stuffs I listen to, a warm-tilt and sparkly treble adds the fun factor since it brings out the vocals and instruments.
dt880smile.png

My own preference is always for neutrality - and always for punch, meaning sharp and well defined, bass. But, yes, it matters more in some genres than others - The Clash sounds more like The Mild Disagreement if the drums are neutered by blurry bass.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 18
Hey guys I was also thinking about the ultrasone HFI 580. They are $120 on amazon and many people say they have even better mids and overall sound quality to the DT770, what do you think ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back