Supercharging Chord Dave's internal amplifier
Apr 10, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #62 of 120
The external PS introduces an RF noise vector for DAVE, caused by the DC cable you've introduced. Based on my experience with the DC cable for the HMS power supply, you will benefit from fully covering the DC cable with ferrites. And while you're at it, the mains cable that supplies the external PS.

It's boring, but power cables are just too good as antennas for stuff we don't want in our hi-fis.

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #63 of 120
The external PS introduces an RF noise vector for DAVE, caused by the DC cable you've introduced. Based on my experience with the DC cable for the HMS power supply, you will benefit from fully covering the DC cable with ferrites. And while you're at it, the mains cable that supplies the external PS.

It's boring, but power cables are just too good as antennas for stuff we don't want in our hi-fis.
As far my ears told me sofar SQ improved quite a bit vs the smps inside Dave, partly bc theres no ground connected to Dave anymore via the smps mounting screws. Ive measured it being isolated now.

Being external the smps rf filtering keeps grounded still without Dave's casing attached.

The shield of my DC cable has the same potential as Dave's metal housing.

But ofc i can try some ferrites even though i feel i dont need them with optic isolated HMS

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #64 of 120
Since a parallel cap setup on the regulator's inputs has no negative side effect like on the output side..

I found theres still enough space left for 2 more TDK type bringing the combined ESR further down to 1,3 mohm and 5100uF per power rail.

20230416_122320.jpg

Ive thicken up the ground wire also (left).
Now playing for some days.. and found a further increase of control and grip on my headphones allbeit marginal to previous.

This sounds simply outstanding.
These TDK caps are the best ones i could find sofar.. keeping my eyes open for future generations😁

Nuff writing.. back to bliss :)

Apr 22, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #65 of 120
Since a parallel cap setup on the regulator's inputs has no negative side effect like on the output side..

I found theres still enough space left for 2 more TDK type bringing the combined ESR further down to 1,3 mohm and 5100uF per power rail.

20230416_122320.jpg

Ive thicken up the ground wire also (left).
Now playing for some days.. and found a further increase of control and grip on my headphones allbeit marginal to previous.

This sounds simply outstanding.
These TDK caps are the best ones i could find sofar.. keeping my eyes open for future generations😁

Nuff writing.. back to bliss :)
So cool. Wish you lived nearby. Happy modding. :)

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #66 of 120
@Reactcore , I wonder if you could summarize some kind of league table giving the relative benefits of each mod against each other and against the external power supplies?

This would simply be your informal, subjective opinion on the value of each mod to help us keep track of all the changes and their relative merit.
For example, if the start point of un-modded Dave is 0, and each noticeable jump in SQ gains 1 point, you could end up with something like...

Un-modded DAVE = 0
Cap mod 1 = 2
Cap mod 2 = 2
Cap mod 1+2 = 3
Farad p/s = 3
Farad p/s +Mod1+2 = 5
DC4 Arc6 p/s = ??

I'm particularly interested in the result for the DC4 p/s when you get it. If the result is, say, 5, then the DC4 is not really justifying it's high price. But if the result is, say, 10, then that could make it a valid contender. I wouldn't expect you to value every possible combination - just the ones that you tried in the order you tried them. All the usual caveats would apply about this being your informal, subjective opinion etc.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #67 of 120
@Reactcore , I wonder if you could summarize some kind of league table giving the relative benefits of each mod against each other and against the external power supplies?

This would simply be your informal, subjective opinion on the value of each mod to help us keep track of all the changes and their relative merit.
For example, if the start point of un-modded Dave is 0, and each noticeable jump in SQ gains 1 point, you could end up with something like...

Un-modded DAVE = 0
Cap mod 1 = 2
Cap mod 2 = 2
Cap mod 1+2 = 3
Farad p/s = 3
Farad p/s +Mod1+2 = 5
DC4 Arc6 p/s = ??

I'm particularly interested in the result for the DC4 p/s when you get it. If the result is, say, 5, then the DC4 is not really justifying it's high price. But if the result is, say, 10, then that could make it a valid contender. I wouldn't expect you to value every possible combination - just the ones that you tried in the order you tried them. All the usual caveats would apply about this being your informal, subjective opinion etc.
I would actually like additional independent ears for such test to be believable as otherwise its a case of a butcher ranking his own meat..

Further my Dave has its psu outboard and the Molex header removed and optic Mscaler connection.. but i can simply not use the latter.

The coming Dave with the SJ could be fit with a original smps inside to make it stock.

I have a friend with Farads (@MvRBE10) but his Dave is 'capped' too. 🤔 ill speak with him to see how we could arrange 3 or 4 Daves in test.

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #68 of 120
I would actually like additional independent ears for such test to be believable as otherwise its a case of a butcher ranking his own meat..

Further my Dave has its psu outboard and the Molex header removed and optic Mscaler connection.. but i can simply not use the latter.

The coming Dave with the SJ could be fit with a original smps inside to make it stock.

I have a friend with Farads (@MvRBE10) but his Dave is 'capped' too. 🤔 ill speak with him to see how we could arrange 3 or 4 Daves in test.
And a tt2? :wink:

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #69 of 120

Un-modded DAVE = 0
Cap mod 1 = 2
Cap mod 2 = 2
Cap mod 1+2 = 3
Farad p/s = 3
Farad p/s +Mod1+2 = 5
DC4 Arc6 p/s = ??

I may be cynical but I would expect the gains to be in 0.1 increments at best

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #70 of 120
I may be cynical but I would expect the gains to be in 0.1 increments at best
That maybe true for a mod added to another mod.. say have the caps and add farad..

But from stock to any of the spoken psu treatments its no small change.

This has few to do with RF treatment.. but all with voltage buffering

Apr 26, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #71 of 120
I've re-read this thread from the beginning, and now have a better grasp of the various mods you've done.

As an alternative to the 6 x 1700uF orange caps in parallel, which look more complex to build and fit, how about going for 4 x 2200 versions as a simpler option?
According to the spec sheet, these have a lower ESR than the 1700. They have the same diameter and are only 5mm longer. Now that you have the output caps on their side, isn't there enough room for these 2200 versions? The performance should be better than 4 x 1700, if not maybe quite as good as 6 x 1700.

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #72 of 120
If @Reactcore does not mind modding the Chord Dave owned by @Somatic and both of you can somehow manage to find the time and funds to do make a modding mini-meet happen, then how about @Somatic put their Dave in a Pelican case to put in a carry-on and fly to wherever @Reactcore is in the NL and allow @Reactcore to do the mods for @Somatic with a few tests for several days?

I mean, you do have to book this flight by midnight tonight, but there is a deal going on for a flight from NYC or Boston to Amsterdam right now:

https://slickdeals.net/f/16607921-n...arch:result_id:16607921&src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Seriously hope this helps. :)

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #73 of 120
If @Reactcore does not mind modding the Chord Dave owned by @Somatic and both of you can somehow manage to find the time and funds to do make a modding mini-meet happen, then how about @Somatic put their Dave in a Pelican case to put in a carry-on and fly to wherever @Reactcore is in the NL and allow @Reactcore to do the mods for @Somatic with a few tests for several days?

I mean, you do have to book this flight by midnight tonight, but there is a deal going on for a flight from NYC or Boston to Amsterdam right now:

https://slickdeals.net/f/16607921-new-york-or-boston-to-amsterdam-netherlands-rt-airfares-on-jetblue-474-basic-or-1899-mint-service-travel-september-december-2023-book-by-april-26-2023?attrsrc=search:term:Netherlands|search:page:1|search:position:1|search:result_type:thread|search:result_id:16607921&src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Seriously hope this helps. :)
Haha. Now I am jettsetting. Would love to visit the Netherlands. If I visit in the next couple of years I will definitely hit up @Reactcore. Leave my Dave for a tune up. HAHAHA.

@Reactcore You are not going to Can Jam Dallas, TX by any chance? :) :) hehe

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #74 of 120
That maybe true for a mod added to another mod.. say have the caps and add farad..

But from stock to any of the spoken psu treatments its no small change.

This has few to do with RF treatment.. but all with voltage buffering
I agree. Love my Farad3 Dave. Started using CF2. Voices sound so realistic. :)

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #75 of 120
how about going for 4 x 2200 versions as a simpler option?
Good point.
In fact i tried to acquire those.. asked Digikey to get a quote from TDK.. but they denied delivery of low numbers.. i cant get my hands on them.. still i would then place 6x 2200uF as its improvent to Dave's amp drive is ever increasing 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back