Super.fi 5s vs. Triple.fi 10s (and other IEMs!)
Sep 1, 2008 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

NicktheNorse

100+ Head-Fier
Chaps and Chapettes,

I'm planning on buying some in ear headphones, and I've now just about read the entire internet (yes, yes I have).

I have say £200 and I'll be using them with an iPod.

So I'm looking at either the mid-range sets (Super.fi 5s, Shure SE420s, Sleek SA6s) at the £100-150 price range, or I'm looking at the high-range sets (Triple.fi 10s, Shure SE530s) in the £180-220 price range.

I basically have the money to burn so I'm biased towards just going all out and going the high-end route.

Due to comments on here about the SE530s and hissing when used with iPods I've almost discounted that particular set, even though some people prefer the Shure frequency response over that of the UEs.

But I'm a little concerned about comfort. In the past I've had some Sony EX-71s and some Senn CX-300 and I find them both supremely comfortable - are the Triple.fis significantly more uncomfortable?

Then there is the added twist of the "new" ("v2") Super.fi 5, which can be had for half the money of the Triple.fis. I surmise that the new Super.fis are better than the older 5 Pros, and there have been some comments that the new Super.fi 5s even challenge the Triple.fis in certain areas.

Are the triple.fis worth it for twice the money?

There are also many comments regarding the Sleek SA6s, but most "mainstream" reviews (ie, non audiophile type websites/forums) all rate them as having average to below-average sound quality which worries me a little.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on what I should do!

Unfortunately I don't really have any options of trying before I buy and refund policies are pretty dire here in the UK so I can't just go and buy a set of headphones with the thought of returning them after trying them out.

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 22
Well for a 100% increase in prices your not going to get anything like 100% in SQ ! More like 5-10%.
I guess the best way forward is to look at the source quality, is you ipod full of high bitrate or lossless files? Good headphones will reveal all the flaws in the source. Is this a portable rig for train/tube or sitiing at home? Analytical listening whilst avoiding traffic isn't the top option! Do you like wires bent over on your ears? How long do you want these things on for each day?

BTW distance selling laws apply in the uk too, you can return any item for refund.

BT

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well for a 100% increase in prices your not going to get anything like 100% in SQ ! More like 5-10%.

Oh yes, I know, and I'm probably prepared to pay for it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony
I guess the best way forward is to look at the source quality, is you ipod full of high bitrate or lossless files? Good headphones will reveal all the flaws in the source. Is this a portable rig for train/tube or sitiing at home? Analytical listening whilst avoiding traffic isn't the top option! Do you like wires bent over on your ears? How long do you want these things on for each day?

I'm generally pretty good with my rip quality, nearly all my library is at 320kbps. It will be for whilst I'm at work - so reasonably quiet office environment for many hours every day. Comfort is important obviously, I just have no reference on which to base the relatively "poor comfort" of the triple.fis which many people seem to talk about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony
BTW distance selling laws apply in the uk too, you can return any item for refund.

The Distance Selling Act only covers items which are returned in an "as-new" condition - many stores interpret this as not having been opened at all - and there is isn't very much you can come back with to argue your point.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 22
Check out Advanced MP3 Players - the MP3 player experts (Advancedmp3players.com)

They offer a 7 day opened-box returns policy that I utilised to try out DAP's before purchasing. Unsure if this policy extends to headphones though for hygenic reasons. You'll have to check with them. They offer good prices though and a price beat facility! Based in UK.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 22
Own SA6. Havn't tried superfi5's. However, most prefer SA6 from reading on head-fi. The superfi 5's are meant to be good all rounders sonically but a little dull after a while.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Advanced MP3 Players - the MP3 player experts (Advancedmp3players.com)

They offer a 7 day opened-box returns policy that I utilised to try out DAP's before purchasing. Unsure if this policy extends to headphones though for hygenic reasons. You'll have to check with them. They offer good prices though and a price beat facility! Based in UK.

They do look quite good - I'll give them a call. Thanks.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicktheNorse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do look quite good - I'll give them a call. Thanks.

No worries, glad to help out
smily_headphones1.gif
. Only notable IEM's they don't currently offer are the SA6 and the Westone line but for anythin else they're definately worth a gander!

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Own SA6. Havn't tried superfi5's. However, most prefer SA6 from reading on head-fi. The superfi 5's are meant to be good all rounders sonically but a little dull after a while.

X2. Sold my SF5s, kept the Sleeks.

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 22
Fair enough on SF5s and Sleeks.

But if I rule those out and just look at the high-end stuff - I take it I'm not missing anything? I might get both the SE530s and the Triple.fi 10s and return the one I like the least.

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 22
I might say to get the UM2 and a 75ohm resistor/adapter of either the plug or cable variety. The adapter will give the Westone a boost in SQ that will pretty much even it out with the other two(more than a few prefer the UM2 anyway) and cure/reduce hiss. It will be cheaper. No Shure cable split worries. No Triple.fi comfort/fit issues.

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might say to get the UM2 and a 75ohm resistor/adapter of either the plug or cable variety. The adapter will give the Westone a boost in SQ that will pretty much even it out with the other two(more than a few prefer the UM2 anyway) and cure/reduce hiss. It will be cheaper. No Shure cable split worries. No Triple.fi comfort/fit issues.

Crap, another option to consider. Thanks though
smile.gif

Overall though, I assume either the SE530s or the Triple.fi 10s are a step up from the Sleek SA6s?

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 22
I own those three IEM's- the sleeks, the SE530's and the Triples. The sleeks are not that far behind at all sonically, in fairness! They lack bass quanity, in comparison to both the others and some definition, resolution and instruement separation/ theres less space between the instruements/different sonic components of the recording. Also their sound does feel a tad thinner and lighter of body after having listened to either of the other 2. Not a lot but noticeably significant to me. Otherwise, they hold their own.

You seem to be leaning towards the two top end universals though lol. In case it helps I'll quickly depict their respective sonic characters for you. The triples are clean, clear, crystaline, airy/spacious and BIG in sound, both body and soundstage. They have slightly (noticeable due to the nature of the mid-bass and treble presentation, which I'll come to) recessed mids. The bass is defined, of quality, powerful and textured, but the mid bass is quite forward and accentuated and really thumps out at you. The highs are also slightly pushed forward and are very present, articulate, detailed and extensive. They are not rolled off or muted at all but their is no harshness or sibilance to speak of. I find the sound of these IEM's a strange one because they are ultra clear but not cold and the sound is big and intense but not fatiguing! Other factors outside SQ and sonic signature? They can pose serious fit problems for some ppl, though this is primarily for ppl who have small ear canals as the tip/nozel of these hp' is quite wide and thick.

The SE530's are quite different in sound to the triples. They are equally resolved and defined of sound, yet they do have a tighter soundstage and not as big or spacious a sound by quite a notable significance. However, a lot of this down to the different presentations of each repective IEM. With the triples, you are placed within the music, it is big, blown up, and all around you. With the hures, the music is presenation more in front of you and as if you're observing it from a further distance away, so it is smaller. Their frequency distribution is definately darker and more bottom heavy. They have a rich, contoured, warm bass with plenty of quantity but still accurate and controlled to a high degree. By comparison, the bass on the tripes, though more plentiful, can seem a tad bloated and boomy. The mids on the SE530's are, also, truly excellent, being, again, warm, lush, smooth. Again, in keeping with the whole sonic signature, they are prented relatively away from you but are so clear and warm. The highs on this phone recieve the most criticim. They are quite heavily rolled off. That isn't to say they are cut from the sound, they aern't. They are just heavily recessed and muted, and consequently, in relationship to mids and bass, are quiet and thin, etched as opposed to painted. Some can accept and/or like this and others can't. I like it and really enjoy it. I like and really enjoy how the triples sound and are presented also. I like how they juxtapropose against one another! Other factors outside sound? Potential problems with cable fraying/splitting down the line, though shure claimed to have fixed this problem and you are covered by a 2 year warranty.

Hope that helps! Descions, decisions...
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Hope that helps! Descions, decisions...
biggrin.gif

It has, thank you very much.

By the sound of it the Triple.fi 10s lean more towards the kind of experience you get with the (cheap but wonderful) Sennheiser CX 300 which is what I currently use - In your face kind, powerful and exciting - but not necessarily 100% natural. I quite enjoy that sound representation as opposed to what you've described for the SE530s.

What I think I'll do is order the Triple.fi 10s to start off with and if I can't get them to fit properly I'll try some Shures - or jump down a slight level and get some Super.fi 5s or SA6s.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicktheNorse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has, thank you very much.

By the sound of it the Triple.fi 10s lean more towards the kind of experience you get with the (cheap but wonderful) Sennheiser CX 300 which is what I currently use - In your face kind, powerful and exciting - but not necessarily 100% natural. I quite enjoy that sound representation as opposed to what you've described for the SE530s.

What I think I'll do is order the Triple.fi 10s to start off with and if I can't get them to fit properly I'll try some Shures - or jump down a slight level and get some Super.fi 5s or SA6s.

Sounds a good plan. Good luck!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back