:sunrise: Official 2015 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 18, 2015, Doubletree San Francisco Airport
Jun 3, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #136 of 441
Wow, no offense, but that is plain bizarre … what do you use at home to drive your gear to "satisfying" levels?

Schiit Magni/Modi. Drives my Alpha Dogs just fine. I use a FiiO E17 with my ipod and either M-Duo in-ear or ATH M-50's. Never had a problem with volume.

The meet was very weird.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #137 of 441
  Schiit Magni/Modi. Drives my Alpha Dogs just fine. I use a FiiO E17 with my ipod and either M-Duo in-ear or ATH M-50's. Never had a problem with volume.

The meet was very weird.

It must have been.  I have had the Alpha Dogs, and now have the Primes, which are about the same efficiency.  I have no issue with the HA-1 as far as volume goes, hence my question.  It seems capable of getting as loud or louder with the AD's or AP's as the Schiit stack, though the Magni/Modi is no slouch when it comes to driving reasonable headphones.  Anyway, my post sounded kinda snarky when I re-read it, so apologies for that.  I bet I listen at lower volume than you do most of the time.  I'll do an ear bleed session once in a great while.  I'm north of 55, and still have verified excellent hearing, so I tend to go easy on volume nowadays.  Too many friends with hearing aids!

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #138 of 441

It must have been.  I have had the Alpha Dogs, and now have the Primes, which are about the same efficiency.  I have no issue with the HA-1 as far as volume goes, hence my question.  It seems capable of getting as loud or louder with the AD's or AP's as the Schiit stack, though the Magni/Modi is no slouch when it comes to driving reasonable headphones.  Anyway, my post sounded kinda snarky when I re-read it, so apologies for that.  I bet I listen at lower volume than you do most of the time.  I'll do an ear bleed session once in a great while.  I'm north of 55, and still have verified excellent hearing, so I tend to go easy on volume nowadays.  Too many friends with hearing aids!

Don't worry, it was an expected response and I didn't find it "snarky" LOL!

On my Magni I normally keep the volume knob at about 10 o'clock. I don't think I have ever gone beyond 3 o'clock.

But sadly, in my new spacious home I have my own office and no more need of headphones. I love the Alpha Dogs, but need to be able to hear my wife and kids. Nothing pisses my wife off more than ignoring her or the screaming children. I have Logitech Z-5500 speakers for sound, which 90% of is World of Warcraft. I only listen to music riding my motorcycle to work...

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #139 of 441
  Don't worry, it was an expected response and I didn't find it "snarky" LOL!

On my Magni I normally keep the volume knob at about 10 o'clock. I don't think I have ever gone beyond 3 o'clock.

But sadly, in my new spacious home I have my own office and no more need of headphones. I love the Alpha Dogs, but need to be able to hear my wife and kids. Nothing pisses my wife off more than ignoring her or the screaming children. I have Logitech Z-5500 speakers for sound, which 90% of is World of Warcraft. I only listen to music riding my motorcycle to work...

I just had a flash of a guy on a bike with Alpha Dogs on the outside of his helmet.  I know it isn't the case, but a pretty humorous mental image none the less.  We are almost neighbors, by the way.  I'm in Vacaville.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #140 of 441
  I just had a flash of a guy on a bike with Alpha Dogs on the outside of his helmet.  I know it isn't the case, but a pretty humorous mental image none the less.  We are almost neighbors, by the way.  I'm in Vacaville.

Vacaville - back in the day, I had a person that was on my wrestling tour team from there (he attended Wood H.S.).  Vacaville is always a very tough city, as Vacaville H.S. always has one or two vying for State H.S. wrestling titles every year.

Look forward to meeting up with you again at the upcoming SF Meet!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #141 of 441

Vacaville - back in the day, I had a person that was on my wrestling tour team from there (he attended Wood H.S.).  Vacaville is always a very tough city, as Vacaville H.S. always has one or two vying for State H.S. wrestling titles every year.

Look forward to meeting up with you again at the upcoming SF Meet!  
bigsmile_face.gif

@moedawg140!  Will C. Wood - yep, usually a good sports school in general, and a good wrestling school.  I may not make this one.  My daughter has an event that day which will probably keep me away from the meet.

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #143 of 441
Its definitely not required to bring your own gear. I would recommend though if you have a favorite headphone to bring it along for comparison purposes; a reference point to see where the faults are of yours compared to others, or you may be surprised how well your headphones can 'scale' with better setups.

Also I'm really interested to ask: does anybody have a Focal Spirit Pro they can bring along? It looks like a pretty decent neutral closed-back. I invested some time and money in a Beyer. DT-150 and some modding recently but can't quite seem to un-muddy the sound signature & detail retrieval nearly enough for my tastes. I don't mean to spread a bad word about this classic can, but it does seem that other pairs could put out a better sound than mine.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #144 of 441
Hey, I'd love to join in on the meet! Hope you don't mind any newbies, haha. Is it required/recommend that I bring my headphone gear?

New people are always welcome :). As for bringing gear its your choice, if you're looking for an amp I would suggest a bringing a headphone you're familiar with. And vice versa.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #147 of 441
I hope to go. I work in Retail so the odds are not in my favor but oh man, do I want to go!

I would presume you have an option to put in a a request for time off form, especially since we still have more than 2 weeks. I requested a whole week off for CanJam and to kick back afterwards awhile, and even though I was tight on money I was still satisfied on the invaluable knowledge gained / friends made and that knowledge helped me better allocate my hifi spendings in the future. A good way to put it to your employer could be that you want to attend a hi-fi audio show as a hobby of yours (sounds better than "I want the day off to try some headphones")

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #150 of 441
  Final Audio Design added to exhibitor list!

Awesome news!  Really looking forward to finding out if FAD will bring anything new this time.  If not, I'll continue to enjoy their current lineup!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back