:sunrise: Official 2015 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 18, 2015, Doubletree San Francisco Airport
Jul 17, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #391 of 441
Is Audeze not going to be attending now?  I could have sworn I saw them originally listed as one of the vendors being in attendance.  Now I don't see them listed.  I was really looking forward to auditioning the closed back EL-8.  

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #392 of 441
  Is Audeze not going to be attending now?  I could have sworn I saw them originally listed as one of the vendors being in attendance.  Now I don't see them listed.  I was really looking forward to auditioning the closed back EL-8.  

Ditto this. I would also be disappointed if they didn't show or at the very least send their gear to be demo'ed.

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #394 of 441
Oh too bad.  Hopefully someone has an EL-8 closed back with them.  If not, I will probably just buy the Oppo PM-3 since they will be in attendance and I can try it out first before purchasing.  

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #395 of 441
Oh I'll be there.

I actually have a bunch of headphones to sell:
LCD-2.2 pre-fazor
Grado 325is + the big pads
MassDrop AKG-7XX
Focal Spirit S

Maybe with all of that I should bring something? I'm a little late to the game so I'm not sure if it'd be worth bringing anything, but I do have some fun toys!

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #396 of 441
  Oh too bad.  Hopefully someone has an EL-8 closed back with them.  If not, I will probably just buy the Oppo PM-3 since they will be in attendance and I can try it out first before purchasing.  

I had the chance to listen to the EL-8 open back and closed back a few months ago.  I only listened to each for a few minutes with my portable rig so I really don't have any detailed subjective impressions but I thought the open back was very good.  Not as good as any in the LCD line but well worth the price.  The closed back less so. It sounded like the open back with my hands over the cups.  They were disappointing to my ears.        

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #397 of 441
Yea I figured the open back would sound better, but I'm gonna be using these in the office so I can't be disturbing my coworkers when I'm listening to some old school classic rock.  I was looking for the best headphones that would meet these two criteria:  no sound leakage and able to be driven with my AK240 without requiring a desktop rig or using a portable amp.  Hopefully the PM-3 will do.  

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #398 of 441
I was also interested in the Audeze closed back. I need a closed back set of balanced cans to listen to in bed so as not to disturb the significant other. I've really been into planar's since I got my Mad Dog Pros and He-400is. Leaning toward another pair of planar's.

I will be bringing a mint Schiit Valhalla with Russian tubes and a HD 650 with 15' Cardas cable to sell or trade.

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #399 of 441

The EL-8 did not impress me. Head-to-head the Alpha Prime vaporized it for the same price. If MrSpeakers runs out of Alpha Primes, consider the LCD-XC if you can justify the expense. I have not heard the PM-3, though.

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #400 of 441
For all of you looking for a great closed-back, I highly recommend the Fostex TH900. Even more so with some of the mods I performed on it. Feel free to look for me between 9AM and 11.30AM to try out my pair :)

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #401 of 441
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have a few more headphones to audition now.  I will definitely look for you stjj89 and have a listen to your Fostex. I never thought of the Alpha Primes; definitely give them a shot too.  

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #403 of 441
I do really like my MD Pros. Would be interested in the Primes but even on sale they are $800 as opposed to about $600 for the EL-8s I am hoping that there will be some sweet deals available at the meet. 
Dan from Mr. Speakers told me he won't be coming but they will be represented by SF Audio that carries their line. That true? Will they have Primes available to listen to?

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #404 of 441
  Does anybody have the Geek Out v2 or v2+ DAC/amp that you can let some of us try at the meet? Also does anybody have a can of Deoxit I can buy from you? (transportation issues to buy one here). 

Also I won't be making it to the pre-party on Friday, only the main event. 

Casey Hartwell said in the LH Labs forum that although LH Labs isn't going to be an official exhibitor, he's going to attend and bring GO V2/V2+. He was also trying to figure out a way for an Pulse X Infinity to be available there; not clear whether that panned out.

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #405 of 441
Hello! I'm attending; purchased through Eventbrite last week. Just saying hi. I won't need a table, but I'm bringing my iFi/iPhone rig with LCD-XC or PM-3 cans (not sure which one to bring yet).

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back