:sunrise: Official 2015 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #151 of 192

I believe Jack said they will "try to keep it around $1500" so let's not set expectations of selling price since nothing has been officially set. The new DAC design seems to have settled on an ESS chip, but again, that's what we know for now and the final design and specs are not set. Personally, I would be fine with just an amp if it means a lower cost.

The only expectations being set are those that are being set by Jack. 
Sure the price may change once reality sets in and they are officially produced, that would be natural. 

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #152 of 192
I am not sure this is a meaningful comparison. Other than each will sound great there are too many basic differences. One is battery powered and "Portable" the other must be plugged in yet is small enough to be "Transportable". One is Solid State the other tube. One is amp only the other will be DAC/Amp. One will be $600 the other $1500.

I guess they both allow you to plug in a headphone...
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #153 of 192
Jul 27, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #154 of 192

http://www.head-fi.org/u/399714/moedawg140

I had so much fun with this guy!! Getting to try out numerous IEM's that I have only read about was a real treat. And he was so nice too!

Only problem is now a week later I bought a Noble Savant, DUNU 2000J and I think I'm going to get the Sony XBA-A3. $$$ is burning. Thanks Moe. 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #155 of 192
Comparing the Woo WA8 to the Liquid Carbon is a totally unrealistic comparison.

The real comparison is between the WA8 and the CDM (Continental Dual Mono) from Alo Audio.

Woo Audio WA8 thread
CDM thread

* Both are transportable DAC/tube amps, but the CDM is more portable
* Both are $1500
* The CDM has fully balanced topography in & out, with the option for SE on either side as well
* The CDM supports DSD and hi-res PCM, and has selectable gain output​
* The CDM has DAC-only mode, amp-only mode, and DAC/amp modes while the WA8 does not​
* The CDM has 40 pages more of interest on HeadFi
* It's unknown yet if the WA8 will have it, but the CDM has tube rolling capability with at at least 10 tubes available and a
   thread for it
* It's unset which DAC chip the WA8 will use, but the CDM has a superbly implemented Wolfson 
WM8741 chip, which
   seems to add just the right of much needed tube 'warmth / color' for on the go, and at home too​
* I'm not sure if the WA8 is good for IEMs, but the CDM has the ability to drive IEMs remarkably, as well as driving full
   size can's all the way up to 600 ohm with authority, even the HE 1000 with well received results​

The WA8 is still under development and the CDM is out now​

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #156 of 192
mmm.....looking forward to production model of the WA8. I hope it is as good, if not better, than the CDM. Why? It raises the bar for portable/transportable headfi equipment. Then, an even better CDM. We win.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #157 of 192
We've made a lot of changes to WA8 since v.2  Internal circuit and DAC are completely new and much improved.  We could have put v.2 out to production, but we weren't 100% happy so we made the difficult decision to go back to the drawing board and push back launch date to Oct. or Nov.  The new DAC chip is an audiophile favorite.  We just need to fit everything from the prototype DAC inside the WA8.  

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #158 of 192
Took a big leap. After this meetup and getting to test out so many awesome cans, I had a bit more confidence jumping into some better gear. I just updated my signature with the gear I just got today. God help me, I hope it doesn't grow much more beyond that and maybe some silver cables. 

Anyone need a kidney?

biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #163 of 192
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back