:sunrise: Official 2015 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #31 of 192
An edit on my above post which was written hastily. 

About the Senn. HD 650 compared to some flagships: I liked it better than the Oppo PM3, Audeze LCD X, V-Moda M 100, Fostex TH 900 & EL-8 all for the same reason: Mainly because it seemed to have better detail in the highs and a better soundstage. Both the the Audeze LCD XC and Denon AHD 7000 excelled in the highs, dynamics and refinement, but maybe a bit piercing and not quite as organic overall and a lesser soundstage. Audeze LCD-X (or perhaps it was LCD 2) was a little to warm / flat FR for my tastes but actually blew the lid off the HD 650's soundstage. Alpha Dogs equaled the energy of the 650 but may have had a smidget too much bass and a smidget less impactful dymanics. Senn. HD 580 equaled the energy, soundstage, etc. of the 650 but was a smidget rolled off in the treble. Hifiman HE 400i came remarkably close the the 650 but seemed somewhat 'thin' and boomy with odd sounding mids, smaller soundstage and highs maybe a bit piercing. Others that I have previously tried which I know to be superior than the HD 650 (most notably for even more organic / lifelike sound, full bodied and P.R.A.T.) would be: Hifiman HE-6, Stax SR-07, SR-09 and Sony MDR R10; and I'm not discounting the Beyerdynamic t5p either. And believe me, all these tests were done using multi-thousand dollar amps. This is of course just IMO being used to the HD 650 sound - YMMV depending on your sound preferences, your source-chain and possible mods you may do to the headphones.

Edit: I have yet to stack the AKG K712 but I've heard it's quite comparable to the 650, and I am still trying to quantify the differences between it and the HE 1,000 which is a whole other headphone.

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #32 of 192
Yes I listened to a Questyle DAP, but for some reason I can't remember the sound - it just didn't stand out for me. Either it's not meant to drive full size cans or just that I'm not into DAPs.

Oh the other stellar experience for me was actually the Geek Out v2+ from LH Labs. While I wasn't able to do a direct comparison, this small portable DAC seemed, IMO to compare quite favorably with my full size Gustard X12 DAC. A fluidic, energetic presentation full of detail and punch, full bodied, good soundstage reproduction. The build quality does seem somewhat fidgety feeling but maybe I'm just not used to cool 3D prnted chassis. It's a breathtaking performance for a DAC of it's size!

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #33 of 192
Hi All,

I wanna thanks warren, third eye and rest of the team for organizing this meet. I ended up $1600 poorer after I went  ahead with K10 CIEM. I miss it last year, but this year, I cannot let it slip away. It just so damn good and so right overall. From the sub bass, mid bass, vocal and top end, it just so nice. I just luv the color of this IEM. By the way Warren's carbon fiber K10 is really cool, one of the best design I ever seen. 

I finally get to try HE1000 after reading over and over again at the thread. This is a really comfortable headphone, way more comfortable than Audeze range. The bass,.. oh my goodness. I will say this is about the best bass i ever heard (Not heard Abyss yet), even besting the LCD 3 (1st version) and LCD X IMO. Its so deep and full of power, very "melodic" with very good speed... attack is superb.  That being said, I cannot say it completely destroy the LCD X. It did not, while it is good, the LCD X is really not very far behind. In fact, I would go on and say that it may be sidegrade instead of a total upgrade in SQ for some depending on your tonal preference. They are still the same league, with HE1000 being the elder twin brother.. older by a few minutes. Comfort wise, HE1000 destroy the LCD X as its more lighter, has a leather band to cushion the stress point at top of head. LCD X is just so heavy.

I still can't forget that new DAP from questyle. I was just browsing around and have no intention of getting another DAP as I think Ak240 is good enough for me,  some kind soul pass me  a greyish DAP that look like my Ipod with a volume on top. I took a listen and thought it was connected to a desktop amp. I checked, nope it wasn't. I then realize the cable connected to the LCD 2 was as fat as a python... holy smoke that's really big and heavy.

As I listen more, I was totally blown away by the SQ. I thought maybe the fat cable and some handpick audiophile DSD file with very good recording is playing tricks on me. It sounded like a full size desktop amp with enough power and control that I almost regretted not giving the LCD 2 a chance. I decided to load my own SD card from Ak240 & dump that python LCD and use my own LCD X, UE18 pro and select some Flac tracks rip from regular CD.

The moment I press play, it was clear to me that this DAP is no ordinary portable player like so many in the market. It has some magic in it. I flip the player around and saw "current mode Amplification" .. what in the world is that? It was not important to me. My jaw drop when the rep (sorry I forgot to ask your name) told me it cost $899. Holy smoke, I thought no way, this player sound like its in the AK240 League. Another shock came when he said, there is another cheaper model at $599, I ask what the diff, he explain in short, they both use the same CS4398 but the differences is in the amplification. the R model has a better component, hence better sound and what you are listening is our final production mode. I reply without a 2nd thought for my wallet. "do you have stock right now"? Nope, it is going to launch very soon.. in fact, it is shipping to US right now. My heart sank and then rise up from the sea again.

I went back and listen further with all my fav tracks. I have no doubt in my mind, this is going to sell like hot cakes and here's why..

a) The sound quality is amazing. It makes my AK240 sound thinner than thin spirit. Another headfier next to me mention, boy it sound really good. I agree with him 100%. This is a very powerful player, so powerful my IEM can't get pass 20-25%. SQ is full from the lowest bass all the way up to airy treble... its very well control, very coherent. Everything sounded so clear, detail is easily heard without much trying and best of all, its not analytical. It's warm, full bodied. This is no Mc coffee, its taste like Italian expresso.. I try the LCD-X and my goodness, I thought it was powered up an external amp or something.. clean detail with warm and full SQ. This DAP does not require any portable amp, I suspect its more powerful than most portable amp out there.

b) The UI is pretty good. Not as good as Sony ZX2 or AK240. If you like the old Ipod without touch screen, you will like this player. There is no touch screen and UI is very responsive and fast.. in fact faster than my Ak240. Everything is control by the wheel and wow this is no Ipod wheel, the wheel physically turn like a steering wheel. Playlist is there, genre, album, artist all there.. but there is something missing.. and its pretty major.. there is no EQ.. yes no EQ at all, even Ipod has EQ. Rep told me this may come later.. they are listening. but to be honest, at this level of SQ, I won't even need EQ.

c) There are 2 Micro Sd card at the bottom and that is a winner. I ask, does it support the latest 200gb, Rep say he has not try it yet but said its very likely to work... its linux..  Cool, that means I can get 400gb + 32gb = 432gb.. that's great.

d) Its built like a tank. I will say its iphone standard. very solid feeling in hand, has a glass at the back... reminds me of Iphone 4S.

e) Play Native DSD like AK240.

Some pic I took

Its a win for me.

Question : Does anyone know where to order in US? Website has No US address

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #34 of 192
And you have tried the gold one and the silver one ? Wich one did you prefer ?

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #35 of 192
Thanks again to everyone who helped make this meet fun and successful.

EDIT: Pulled all my pics off and I'll post more later, trying to put some thoughts together before I forget it all.

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #36 of 192
Here is a photo gallery of pics I took:

http://www.amb.org/ti/audio/headfi20150718/

It was nice to meet old friends and new faces. Thanks for your great comments about the new γ3 DAC!

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #37 of 192
any comment on how the "final sonorous" headphone (the gold one) sounded ?   and was the AK500n there available for listening ?   and the Eddie Current Studio
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #38 of 192
This is one of the best meets ever! Great people, nice showroom, and many exhibition.

Got up early this morning (East coaster) to tour around the beautiful San Francisco. 

Hope to see all of you again soon!

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #40 of 192
I just want to say what an amazing time I had at my first meet! Volunteering and getting to see what makes an event like this possible was such a great experience. Ethan, Moe, Daniel, Steph, and everyone else it was so great to meet you guys. I got to listen to amazing setups throughout the day and I definitely made some changes to my wishlist. I can't wait for my next meet!

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #41 of 192
  Hi All,

I wanna thanks warren, third eye and rest of the team for organizing this meet….

Thanks a lot for the impressions. I am glad someone took time to say something about these. I'll forward your post in the Questyle forum. This is really exiting.

*Moderator Edit - When quoting another's post, please don't copy in the whole post with the pictures. Be kind to mobile users.

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #43 of 192
it was fun talking to everyone who stopped by.  here's what I brought this year:

Left to right: an arduino thermostat (yellow oled display), spdif switch with input selector and sample-rate display in large LEDs; the Fiio x3-2 audio player, an AK4399 DAC, a zibgee-ir gateway (remote control format translator), my arduino oled/xbee handheld remote control on Qi charging cradle, a 4 digit nixie clock that can receive numeric 'messages'; and of course, the amb/sercona alpha10 preamp with my own LED display and rotary encoder instead of the lcd/lcduino.

my new thing, this year, was extreme remote control :wink:  lots of people did seem to like the handheld proto I made with the small oled display and the simple industrial style button pad:

its a multi remote that can do volume control, input/output selection (digital and analog), talk to thermostats, home automation, whatever.  its arduino and open.  I may see about getting a short run made of the remotes, if anyone is interested.  so far, there's only that one.

wish I had time to go visit other tables.  I only caught glimpses of other gear, this time around.

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #44 of 192
It was my first head-fi meet up.  I don't usually go to these since I live in South Korea but I'm in the Bay Area for my wedding / family visit and I decided to register & attend.  I'm so glad I went!  Certainly, it felt a little overwhelming for a rookie, but everyone was really friendly.  I enjoyed speaking with the different reps, learning new terminology, and generally just getting a deeper understanding of the audiophile world.  This was also my first time hearing a lot of headphones as well as getting a chance to listen to different amps / DACs.  

Brief impressions:
  1. Noble K10.  Wow.  Those were impressive.  They definitely knocked my Shure SE846s down a peg or two.  There was just so much space and texture to the sound.
  2. Noble 6C.  I was pleasantly surprised by how good these sounded.  I tend to immediately go to the top end product offered, so I had sort of mentally ignored these.  I'm glad I got a chance to listen to them.
  3. Oppo PM-3 & HA-1.  Yes!  I had been wanting to listen to the HA-1 & and any one of the PM series since they came out, but they're hard to find in South Korea.  I was really impressed with the PM-3, especially the quality of the build.  I've heard Oppo praised for the craftsmanship of their products and I can see why.  I *really* like the red & white design and if Oppo made a model in that style I would buy it instantly.
  4. Master & Dynamic MH40.  I had seen these a few days earlier at an Apple store and was intrigued.  Their design is really something that speaks to me, and I was really happy to get a chance and sit down and listen to them for a little while.  It was really nice talking to the rep there (sorry, I forgot her name) about the company, their vision, and what their inspiration was.  Personally, closed cans are what I need for 90% of my listening, and portability is important, so these headphones definitely jumped onto my radar.  I was overjoyed to actually win a pair during the raffle!  Thank you very much Master & Dynamic and Head-fi!  
  5. Questyle QP1R DAP.  Wow. That really impressed me.  And at a price point that was way lower than I thought it would be.  I sold off my Fiio X5 because the UI and UX were just awful and I'd rather just use my iPhone 6+ and sacrifice the 20% sonic difference.  However the QP1R definitely made me rethink the DAP world, which I had just written off as high end foolery for the most part.  I'm a sucker for products that feel well designed and this DAP really felt fantastic in my hands. 
  6. It was also wonderful to just sit back with the Questyle CMA800R amps and listen to the LCD3, Mr. Speakers Ether, and the HD800s.  I've never heard HD800s sound better than they did then and there.  Almost missed the raffle because I was having so much fun.  Also, I've never heard any Audeze or Mr. Speakers headphone and both were very impressive.  I lack the audiophile vocabulary to describe them so I'll just have to say: Wow!  I finally understand why people build these massive home systems.  
  7. Astell & Kern AK Jr.  Awesome!  Sounded fantastic, had a touch screen, and was really portable.  Definitely a DAP that could make my SE846s thump, and I was amazed how well they paired with the T5Ps.
  8. Echobox.  I enjoyed chatting with the two super-friendly reps from the company and enjoyed playing with their earphones & streaming player.  I'm glad they're including streaming apps like Tidal (though I prefer Spotify) in their DAP, and I'm also glad it's an Android-based.  It looks like it has AirPlay & WiFi built in which is also great.  I'm not so sure about the form of the player (it's built like a flask), but it sounded really good.  I was really impressed with the earphones.  They were tiny but felt super-sturdy and put out some pretty excellent sound.  Something about the feel, design, and size just made them disappear in my ears.

Anyways, just one rookie's opinion.  It was really nice to meet everyone and a total joy to try so many neat products and see such enthusiasm. Thanks to everyone that put this together, I'll definitely try to make next year's!  

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #45 of 192
Had a blast at the meetings and two days short vaca in the city. Now driving back to LA.

Got a lot of things in my mind and will post impressions later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back