Sunglass-Fi?
Oct 21, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #301 of 414
I have replaced a Serengeti with Ray-Ban Aviator.  Both have green glass lenses but the Aviator has better clarity and it fits better too.  This Aviator is retro compare to the other sunglasses I have.  
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #302 of 414

Quote:
I have replaced a Serengeti with Ray-Ban Aviator.  Both have green glass lenses but the Aviator has better clarity and it fits better too.  This Aviator is retro compare to the other sunglasses I have.  
biggrin.gif

Which Serengetti's did you get?  I didn't know they made any with green lenses. 

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #303 of 414
Hey, speaking of serengettis, I have a pair with the glass lenses, and I managed to crack one of them!  does anybody have a good idea as to where i could get them replaced for a reasonable price?  (i.e. not three quarters of the original price of the glasses!)

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #305 of 414

Quote:
Just got my MJ South Shores today, love them.

Question about the case if anyone else has Maui Jims, inside there's a little ledge that looks to press down on the arms of the glasses, I assume it's to keep them stable in the case and not flopping around.  I just want to make sure that's right, I don't want it to be pressing down on the arms if it's not supposed to be.

I believe the current basket weave case is one size only.  So for a smaller frame model, the glasses are rattling inside the case.  While the MJ case is much improved from previous generations, Oakley makes the best cases to secure the specific model.  That being said, MJ offers exceptional customer service and they will take care of you if there are any issues with their products.

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #306 of 414

Quote:

I believe the current basket weave case is one size only.  So for a smaller frame model, the glasses are rattling inside the case.  While the MJ case is much improved from previous generations, Oakley makes the best cases to secure the specific model.  That being said, MJ offers exceptional customer service and they will take care of you if there are any issues with their products.

yeah my navigators are actually pretty darn close to being too big to fit in the hard case at all, i almost never use it, sticking with the soft case myself

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #308 of 414

Quote:
Immtbiker, forgive my ignorance...but explain the reading glasses at 45 comment.  My girlfriend is considering this same procedure.  Gulp.

Not sure if I'm on the right track, woofy, but as we age, usually around 45 , almost everybody needs reading glasses. It's inevitable. The reason that some people need glasses for long distance, usually starting in second grade and getting progressively worse until about 21 is because the curvature of our corneas is not consistent, having flat spots which people who don't need distance glasses don't have. Up until the mid 90's, the only way to fix that was to use glasses or corrective contacts, that made up for our uneven spots. Radial Keratonomy or RK was invented, so that a laser pounded away at our cornea, getting rid of the flat spots, causing a nice round surface, like the camera on a lens, giving us a consistent convex (or the other one) cornea and voila, improving our viewing distance to a close to 20/20 as they could get.
The only problem with RK is that you are also pounding the lens and it took a while to heal and get the corrected vision.
Well, in 1998, they figured out a want to slice the lens, hold it out of the way ( that was the vacuuming uncomfortable part I was talking about). They keep your eyes held open, with one of those things that you see in "A clockwork Orange", vacuum or "suck your eye so it doesn't move (we wouldn't want any "oops", now would we?), and the the laser burns away part of your cornea, to make a perfect round eyeball.
They then invented Lasik, which is basically the same thing, but it slices away your lens (think about a ball's rawhide when it loses it's stitching) holds it out of the way, and now the laser is able to shape the cornea or your eye, without having to go through the lens, and the results are almost instantaneous. After the shaping takes place, the lens is let go and forms an almost immediate bond with the cornea, the way it was before the Lasik. You have extreme sensitivity to light for about 5 hours, they give you 2 different drops (1 is as an anti bacterial to stop infection for a month the other is an anti-inflammatory).
Any way, you go to sleep when you get home, and wake up seeing 20/20 (or in my case 20/15. I had mine done when I was 39. but here's what you asked about. Between 42 and 51, the average person needs reading glasses because the inside triangle of your eye (the part closest to your brain...let's say) stretches back and forth to adjust for close up vision and/or reading. I believe that part of your eye is called the retina or optic nerve. As we reach our 40's, that part of your eye loses it's rigidity, so it becomes hard to focus on writing in the 2 − 12 inch range. Normally that part of your eye moves back and forth, like an auto focus on a camera lens, and as it becomes less rigid, we need magnification (reading glasses), to enlarge the writing to make up for what your eye used to do naturally. This has nothing to do with the Lasik, your eye would have done it anyway. However there seems to be a direct correalation between poor long distance and that it takes longer to need reading glasses.
If you wear contacts, you can get reading glasses, or switch to a lens that's progressive, which offers you both distance and a close up perscription. The lenses are skightly weighted so that the right part always seems to make it's way to the lower part of the eye. This is why I said for the total of maybe 30 minutes that I need to read or work on my instruments and hospital machines, it was worth it to just get a pair of magnified reading glasses. Like I said, the other 23 and 1/2 hours of the day, I have 20/15.
Here's the kicker, just like a kid in his teens who's vision gets progressively worse until their eye settles down between 18-21, a person in their 40's needs to keep increasing their reading vision until there eyes settle down until their early 50's. We start out by need a 1.0 magnification, and then go up to wherever. I seem to have settled down to needing 1.75 in on eye and 2.0 in the other, while someone like my ex-wife that never needed distance glasses all of her life, needed a 2.5 magnification by the time she was 45. I thing she settled out to 2.75 when all was said and done, you gotta hope you'llm get lucky Like I can type on my laptop and read the screen without glasses, while she can't even see her lipstick without her reading glasses. I can shave without them and I am 51. It's a crapshoot.
Anyway reading glasses have nothing to do with Lasik or RK, but some people say that the worse your distance vision is, the longer it will take you to need reading glasses. However, once you get the Lasik, you can be assured that you will need reading glasses between 43 and 48.
To me, it was well worth it, to not need  glasses for 95% of the day. YMMV.
The other thing that my doctor did for me was give me "mono-vision". He lasered one of my eyes to 20/15 and the other to 20/50. Since I got it in 1999 and I was already 40, what the goal of this was, when it came time to need reading glasses, my brain would use the 20/50 eye as the dominant eye and I wouldn't need reading glasses for supposedly an extra 10 years. Living on borrowed time, so to speak. When it came to distance vision, my brain would automatically know to use the 20/15 eye as the "dominant eye", and even though it was more like an average, with the dominant eye always taking over. This worked pretty well, until I became 48 and my 20/50 eye, degraded to 20/70. The variance was too much and I was getting blurred vision and migraines. 

He did a free touch up (nothing like the smell of burning eyeball, first thing in the morning), but he warned me, and was quite correct, that with two 20/15 eyes, the next morning I would wake up and instantly need to buy reading glasses. It's a small price to pay.

Hope this ramble helps.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #309 of 414

Quote:
Hey, speaking of serengettis, I have a pair with the glass lenses, and I managed to crack one of them!  does anybody have a good idea as to where i could get them replaced for a reasonable price?  (i.e. not three quarters of the original price of the glasses!)

Now, this was in 2004, but my screw fell out of my frame, and I chipped the glass big time, I wrote Serengetti, and I sent them in to them and the replaced the screw and the lens for free. The came back looking like new, even Lock-Titing the 4 screws, and replaced the nose pads with soft silicone ones.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #310 of 414
What's a good type and color of lenses to be worn in the dessert? I will spend this summer (August) working in Iraq in the oilfield, and wonder what sunglasses should I have with me...

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #311 of 414
These are the Oakley's Denzel Washinton wore in Book Of Eli.

I've had them for a while but it's honestly time to get a new pair. Plus there to big.

denzel-washington-sunglasses-2.jpg

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #312 of 414
Oakley Tightrope              Polished Black/Black Iridium
Oakley Half Jacket           Polished Black/Black Iridium

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #313 of 414
Anyone know a good place to buy sunglasses? I'm trying to find a pair of smith interlock spoilers (tortoise) but can't find them anywhere :/ Ebay and amazon have them, but both charge $20+ in shipping, which is rather ridiculous.

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #314 of 414

Quote:
Anyone know a good place to buy sunglasses? I'm trying to find a pair of smith interlock spoilers (tortoise) but can't find them anywhere :/ Ebay and amazon have them, but both charge $20+ in shipping, which is rather ridiculous.

Yeeep, too much for shipping... But, don't forget, that sunglasses is usually the stuff to be overpaid for shipping. And also, if You'll get a good deal, You shouldn't worry about extra 10$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back