Sunglass-Fi?
Apr 12, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #226 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have two pairs of polarized sunglasses you don't even need to pop out the lens.. just wear one pair and hold the other pair in front of you and rotate it!
beerchug.gif

Good thinking
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #227 of 414
Quote:

i have a oakley crosshair, i love it soo much although im sort-sighted and a perscription oakley sound like a waste to me (so expensive), so ...yea, i like them that much tto sacrifice my vision , lol

Same here. I currently wear some Oakley Crosshairs as my Rx glasses, and my recently acquired Crosshairs are my first pair of sunglasses since highschool(five+ years ago) where I had Oakley XXs with transitions that doubled as my Rx glasses. I even drove with them on the other day lol. Got them in pewter to match my Crosshairs, and I plan on throwing some light grey Rx lenses on them very soon. I also have some Fives 2.0 that I use with clear lenses for outdoor activities(on a side note, I wear Oakley factory pilot gloves when I ride my bicycle lol). I kinda want some Frogskins, but don't think I'm cool or trendy enough to be wearing em
tongue.gif

Even though I'm an Oakley fan, I find their advertising humorous, and agree with the comments about how they can look childish. But I like that they're usually made in the USA, and tend to be popular with military folk
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #228 of 414
I'm mainly into Aviators, they seem to go with my face better than other types. When it comes to brands i have 1 pair of very nice Ray Bans, and a few really cheap ones i bought off the stands at my local mall.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #229 of 414
i wear these(rb3175)
rayban-rb3175.jpg

mirror, polarized, and Rx. they've got some battle wounds where they protected my eyes from glass and side mirror after an 18 wheeler nearly took the cab of my truck off with a pallet of 2x4's on the interstate.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #230 of 414
What are you guys' opinion's on oakley half-jackets?? Are the supplied lenses polarised? I'd appreciate some input if you have any.

I spent last summer (3 months) teaching sailing off the italian riviera and my sunglasses really annoyed me, within about 3 weeks the lenses were wearing out and scratched and they couldn't be replaced. They were very comfy but non-polarised so annoying on the water and I would like some better ones this summer.

I'll be further south on the med coast of egypt this time so i need some that are comfy, polarised and come with replaceable lenses ideally as i'll be a long way from a source of replacements.

Does anyone use sunny's on the water? Also does anyone from UK know a store/outlet rather than online store that stocks oakley's?

Sorry about all the questions,

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #231 of 414
Half jackets are great. They do come in polarized edition, however the lenses are thicker and do not fit in the standard frame.
On the water polarized is basicly mandatory, have sailed once. Had both polarized cheap ones and non polarized Half-jackets. The shimmering with the oakleys was awefull.

Just saw the new Square-X, nice shades. As nice as the Half-x and just as pricey as my custom juliets.

Oakley seems to have released a "elite" line. Oakley Elite Collection - Oakley Official Site
Verry slick looking shades.
The cheapest is 'only' 600 bucks and the most expensive just a mere 4 grand...

I am pretty sure there are sunglasses better than oakley but i am verry happy with both the build quality and the lenses.
Have been looking at mau jimi lately but they just dont apeall to me, save for perhaps the Makaha and Seafarer. Anyone have experiences with one or both?

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #232 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do come in polarized edition, however the lenses are thicker and do not fit in the standard frame.

What makes you say this? Looking around the web it appears you can get half jacket's polarised and non-polarised and the same with the xlj which i assume uses the same frame? Also spare polarised and non-polarised frames. It still surprises me I could spend that much on non-polars but I guess it's what people will pay for the name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the water polarized is basicly mandatory,

Pretty much yes, last time i was racing with non-polarised sun glasses I was pushed to leeward of the first mark before I gave up on them. (I think i may have thrown them overboard actually, i've never seen them since, maybe they were just lost.
cool.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #234 of 414
i have maui jim's,costa's,revo's and just about everything else. i only wear my 2004 bolle slice. i find it is the best pair i have ever owned. both in coverage and performance. plus everyone says they look good to me.

music_man

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #236 of 414
I've just joined wayfarer world.

0RB2132__901.jpg

New wayfarers, Rx, gray polarized. Haven't come yet, but I'll be sure to say what I think of them when they come.

May 3, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #239 of 414
i had the makaha for a while. traded them for a different pair. they are fine glasses i just did not like that one at the time. my best fit in mj is volcano. too bad they no longer make black/n. grey. the n. grey lens is fantastic but it is too much reduction for me.

i would like those oakleys. i am being smart though. when they cannot sell them for 4 grand like their watches they will end up at the discounters. i think $500-$700 would be a lot but i'd pay it for those. 4 grand for those seems obscene to me.

it seems everything luxotica bought is not as good as when they were independent companies. thats just my opinion. i have heard nikons are real nice for a good price.

music_man

May 5, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #240 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now own a pair of polarised Oakley half-jackets and I have to say i'm very pleased, the lenses are good, as are the spares and the fit is very comfy, i'd recommend them for on the water use too, (as long as they're the polarised ones).
[/img]

Nice. I'm looking to get a pair of the Half-Jackets for running because my Monster Pups (VR28 Iridium lens), Fives 3.0 (grey polarized lens) and Fives 3.0 (G30 Titanium lens) fog up too much. I love their coverage and fit though.

For regular wear, I have the Crosshair S (VR28 Gold Iridium lens), which are one of the few aviators that fit my small head/face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back