Summit-Fi Random Thoughts
Jan 24, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #181 of 661
New Raal $9500 3 ribbon headphones. I edited the original post to make it more clear
Interesting stuff, this time with real pads.

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #182 of 661
The metal handband material is the same as their CA I think. I wish they used something different, but I guess don't fix something that isn't broken. They might get accused of Hifiman stuff though, with the Shang Sr using the same headband as their very cheap headphones.
I guess the headband looks a bit DIY, but I think it's a pretty high grade of steel, which is quite durable and can be bent to fit. Has anyone had durability problems with it?

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #183 of 661
Since I wasn't told to not post this, I'm gonna post it. Drunk ramblings me doesn't care🤷‍♂️

Here's a pic of the new Raal 3 ribbon, $9500 headphones

7F36B937-4367-4FAD-AFE3-CDEFE04F273B.jpeg
It's kind of retro and futuristic simultaneously. I like it!

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #184 of 661
The metal handband material is the same as their CA I think. I wish they used something different, but I guess don't fix something that isn't broken. They might get accused of Hifiman stuff though, with the Shang Sr using the same headband as their very cheap headphones.

And just like the Shang, I would think it's fair criticism. I think using something with a bit more luxurious feel (again same as the Shang) would've been nice at that price, and I think we should be critical with the way the price points are going.

I'll be really interested in hearing people's impressions though, as I do understand how R&D and overall profit models play into costs based on the size and maturity of the manufacturer. If it's a truly refined ribbon even over what the Sr1a and CA-1a have accomplished, I would understand the pricing at list. Given their track record, I'm actually pretty hopeful overall. I have 0 need for a ribbon or traditional TOTL stat, rather more interested with my stable in contrasts. But if I didn't order the Valkyria before this, I would've absolutely held off for quite a while for impressions before making a decision. In fact, I may see if that's still an option since they haven't shipped lol

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #185 of 661
And just like the Shang, I would think it's fair criticism. I think using something with a bit more luxurious feel (again same as the Shang) would've been nice at that price, and I think we should be critical with the way the price points are going.

I'll be really interested in hearing people's impressions though, as I do understand how R&D and overall profit models play into costs based on the size and maturity of the manufacturer. If it's a truly refined ribbon even over what the Sr1a and CA-1a have accomplished, I would understand the pricing at list. Given their track record, I'm actually pretty hopeful overall. I have 0 need for a ribbon or traditional TOTL stat, rather more interested with my stable in contrasts. But if I didn't order the Valkyria before this, I would've absolutely held off for quite a while for impressions before making a decision. In fact, I may see if that's still an option since they haven't shipped lol
Yeah, I'm in the same boat with the Valkyria vs the 3 ribbon Raal. I think I'm leaning toward the 3 ribbon Raal, but I think I need to hold off for some impressions. I got burnt buying something with no impressions early on, and I don't want to have that experience again.

I'm expecting CA bass with SR resolution, which honestly would be the perfect pair of headphones for me.

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #186 of 661
This looks better than I was expecting after reading about the gold paint. Resembles the X9K to me.

I also like they have adjustable rods now. I wasn't a big fan of the punched holes :)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #188 of 661
ETA is next few months? What's the cliff notes on amping for the ribbons ? is the $7k VM-1a a requirement?
Yeah, supposedly. The sold out their first run, so I've been told April for the next run. The VM-1a isn't a requirement. Apparently it runs well of their TI-1c.

Honestly, and drunk ramblings me talking, I don't expect it to be miles better than the CA. I hope it is, but I'm not expecting that. I think the $9500 asking price is outrageous too. It better f-ing be amazing for that price. I have a feeling it might not be, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #189 of 661
Yeah, supposedly. The sold out their first run, so I've been told April for the next run. The VM-1a isn't a requirement. Apparently it runs well of their TI-1c.

Honestly, and drunk ramblings me talking, I don't expect it to be miles better than the CA. I hope it is, but I'm not expecting that. I think the $9500 asking price is outrageous too. It better f-ing be amazing for that price. I have a feeling it might not be, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Wasn’t the whole concept of ribbon that the drivers have a very finite life but they’re replaceable? Yeah.. I already have an expensive tube eating amp that needs ideally 8 el34 matched lol

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #190 of 661
Drunk ramblings me is thinking the TC is getting old. There needs to be a new development. I want more bass actually. It needs to answer the CA. The CA is giving damn near TC bass off the VM, at a fraction of the cost. Abyss needs a new pair of headphones. The Diana closed I heard isn't the answer.

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #191 of 661
Also, Focal f-ed up with the new Utopia. Taking away the treble was a mistake. The old Utopia is better

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #192 of 661
Wasn’t the whole concept of ribbon that the drivers have a very finite life but they’re replaceable? Yeah.. I already have an expensive tube eating amp that needs ideally 8 el34 matched lol
I don't even know. That s- is bent on my ribbons but there's no sound quality hit. I don't know how long the ribbons last for, but it's $450 for a pair. I guess that isn't bad. It's makes me think the $3500 for the SR is kinda crazy actually. Can they really make the headphones for $1k or less? Probably. Markup is a b-

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #193 of 661
Drunk ramblings me is thinking the TC is getting old. There needs to be a new development. I want more bass actually. It needs to answer the CA. The CA is giving damn near TC bass off the VM, at a fraction of the cost. Abyss needs a new pair of headphones. The Diana closed I heard isn't the answer.
have you tried an eq like what schiit offers with the loki max? that could be helpful if you're looking for insane levels of bass. i know eq isn't for everyone though, even if not done digitally.

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #194 of 661
have you tried an eq like what schiit offers with the loki max? that could be helpful if you're looking for insane levels of bass. i know eq isn't for everyone though, even if not done digitally.
I EQed that s- and used the Mitch filter, and it was a little better, but I still want more. I haven't tried the Loki, but I've been intrigued. What I really want is more subwoofer type bass. It might not be possible on a pair of headphones, but still, I want it. I want that thumping, feel it in your body, type of bass. Really, I should get some speakers, but I don't have the space. I guess Abyss could fix the mids too, but that is the least important part of the FR for me (I know many others disagree).

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #195 of 661
Also, Focal f-ed up with the new Utopia. Taking away the treble was a mistake. The old Utopia is better
Strongly agree.
I enjoy your ramblings thread, haha...

Fun, unfiltered sort of fun.

I'm feeling sort of lost in the headphones game lately.
Susvara is my present endgame. ES-1a and Bravura are the only things that are in the same roost for me.

Maybe considering the Aperio still, but waiting for a good deal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back