Sugru for custom fix earphone?
Jan 17, 2011 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

whoelse

500+ Head-Fier
Jan 17, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 12
I haven't, but have always wanted to try soft silicone over acrylic. I have a couple of old armature phones that I've wanted to build into a custom. This could very well be the solution for me. Thanks.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Pls post a review if you did the sugru, I'm quite keen to know the result.

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 12
Any follow up on this?  I've just found out about sugru and naturally this was one of the first things I thought of.  Anyone tried it?  Results?

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 12
^Thanks for the link.

I am also thinking to use this sugru material to make custom IEMs. Sugru seems cheaper than the radian brand ear plug material and as safe. Someone also mentioned that soapy water can remove/smooth out access sugru.

And if you have not read the other thread entitled as "Home-Made IEMs" here at Headfi, here are some useful information:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems/765
http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems/975

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 12
zzffnn: did you ever do this?  How did it turn out?

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 12
I finally made some cheap IEMs. I used disposable earplugs as eardams, oogoo for ear impressions, jelicone as negative mold and locktite general use two part epoxy as positive. The driver came from some 4 dollar earphones from frys. The results are really impressive. I have extra material to make 20. I spent ~50 dollars in various things. http://jelicone.homenet.org

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 12
I bought Sugru for something else and came across the custom IEM instructables....and thought I could use it to make the MEE audio fit and sound better.

One of the main issues I had with the standard Sugru method was the loss of "coupling" on my earphone s...it was not seated tightly enough inside the ear canal, so the bass was very weak. this is a known issue with this approach. True custom in-ear monitors are designed from the ground up and do not have this problem.

I had a MEE audio X7 plus. this is a nice wireless set I got on Massdrop for the gym. Unfortunately the standard tips do not give enough bass, and the fit in the ear is not secure. So I bought Comply tips. Better sound for sure but very finicky in term of positioning, would often come out as I worked out.

I tried the sugru approach here, using a sleeve for the comply (with foam removed) and a two-stage technique (start with the inner ear mold then put on more sugru for the outer. fit nice and snug! but the bass was lacking compared to the comply tips. I think the seal is not tight enough and the driver is not tuned for this approach. What to do?? I was ready to give up on them.

So I decided on one last try. I cut the Sugru back to the level of the driver/post of the earbud. Then I removed the sleeve for the Comply tip and then cut back the Sugru a bit to allow a new, intact Comply tip. The idea is to use the Comply for better sound but the mold for stability and isolation. Voila!!! worked like a charm!!! Sounds great, better than with Comply alone, and very stable!

Definitely worth a try for earphones you might throw out otherwise!! very cool!

Attachments

• meecustomwithcomplytip.jpg
    meecustomwithcomplytip.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back