Suggestions required for IEM upgrade, BUDGET-200$
Jun 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rishminder

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Hi Head Fiers[/size]

I am having Fischer Audio Enigma, Sennheiser CX300ii, Head Direct RE ZERO, Ministry of Sound MS003, Sound Magic PL50 at the moment. Love all these.

My Sources are iPod Touch 4th Gen, San Disk Sansa Clip ZIP 4GB, Samsung Galaxy SII,(S3 soon), and i use Fiio E6 for amping when needed

[size=10pt]I am planning to upgrade my In Ear Monitors.. These should have the following:[/size]

• [size=10pt]Size and shape of IEM's should be similar to Sennheiser CX300, CX400 or Head Direct RE-ZERO(i wear a turban so small and rounded shape of IEM's is most suitable)[/size]
  • [size=10pt]Sound Signature out of the box should be what RE-Zero gives when amped by Fiio E6 in Bass Boost mode, i.e. Clear and forwards highs and mids with thumping bass[/size]
  • [size=10pt]Should come under 200 USD or ship to India in around 230 USD[/size]

[size=10pt]Eagerly awaiting the suggestions and reviews [/size]
[size=10pt]..[/size]

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 4
I would check out JVC FXT90. They have excellent, present and punchy low end that's larger in quantity than that of RE0 (II only owned RE0, but from what I read RE-ZERO is close enough in overall balance and sound quality), but not overpowering. They also have fairly neutral and detailed midrange and treble that are at least on par with RE-ZERO in quality and a forward, engaging presentation. I am not sure if FXT90s are a straight upgrade over RE-ZERO in sound quality, but they will certainly be at least on par plus that extra kick in the lows that you crave. Other possible options are Etymotic HF5 + ER4 P/S adapter + bass boost, a used ER4S + bass boost or perhaps RE262 + bass boost. The Etymotics should be a slight step up over RE-ZERO overall in sound quality and RE262 is definitely an upgrade overall, but none of these will give you more bass than RE-ZERO. Phonak Audeo PFE Perfect Bass is another possible option which will provide more punch than the ZERO, but perhaps at the expense of some presence in the upper mids/lower treble region. Overall, RE-ZERO is actually near the top of universal fit IEMs in sound quality, so there aren't many options that will give you significantly better sound and especially at $200 or below. But there are many IEMs in that price range that can give you more bass without sacrificing much if anything in other areas. Future Sonics Atrio MG7 and UE Triple.fi are other possible choices with very good sound and more bass than what RE-ZERO provides. I can't say much about MG7 as I only auditioned them very briefly at a local meet recently, but I did think they sounded really nice in the mids and highs with a very punchy, deep low end. Triple.fi is not my cup of tea though and I would rather have FXT90, RE262 or MG7...

At the end of the day, the only way to find out whether you like a certain headphone is to listen to it yourself with your music and sources. All of the aforementioned IEMs provide great sound, but they all sound different and some will suit your tastes better than others. Can you be more specific about what you are looking for? What sound properties do you value most (i.e soundstage, detail, dynamics, clarity, etc) and what kind of music do you listen to? Perhaps if you list more specific requirements, then it will be easier to provide you with recommendations. For example, if you only listen to metal, then RE262 will definitely not be a very good choice since it lacks the aggression necessary for this genre. If soundstage size is very important to you, then Etymotic IEMs may not satisfy you since their soundstage is quite small. Etc.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 4
I listen to Punjabi pop/folk music. This is similar sounding to R&B and Hip Hop. Though its not limited to this genre only. My play-list is full of almost all genres with aforementioned dominating the others in numbers
I value Clarity and detail most.

I might spend even more f i get any some iem's (universal fits) that are above RE-ZERO in sound output and pack a punch in bass too

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 4
and how does Logitech Ultimate Ears 700 fit here??
was not able to find any conclusive reviews in here for these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back