Suggestions on threading wire through sleeving?
Jan 22, 2011 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

elwappo99

Master Blower
I'm having a terrible time getting wire through some of tighter fitting nylon sleeving. Does Anyone have suggestions? I've got a little squeeze pull technique for techflex, but the non expandable stuff is hard to thread through.

thanks

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 7
It's a shot in the dark trying to give a meaningful suggestion if I can't see what you're doing, but since no one has responded yet, I'll throw one out and hope it helps you in some way.

Pulling wire through a length of tubing is always going to be easier than pushing.  So if you're able to rig your wires to a string or something that threads through your sleeve so can pull the string at one end of the sleeve and feed your wires at the other end, hopefully you can work your wires through easier than squeeze/push if the sleeve in question is not able to, I guess, dilate.

I've had to do stuff like this dozens of times for much simpler signal applications i.e. other than audio, so while I think I'm describing a great idea, you might have some nuances to work your way around.  Like breaking your conductors.

Do you think perhaps you need different sleeving, perhaps something with more give, more inner diameter?  Does your sleeve cooperate more when you work it a bit?  Random but relevant things to think about.

I studied a cable mod I found online where the modder taped up his wires to a bullet nose shape so they travel better through the tubing.

Wow, this post has, like, zero flow.

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 7
I share your pain. I just gave up in my case. The little squeeze pull techflex technique works.. but we're talking millimeters at a time - after a few feet my hands hurt. I just called it quits and used techflex.

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Going off what Lurkumaural said, I did get some luck by using a solid core copper wire, threading it through and looping it to the actual wire to be used and pull it through, but when the length was over 2 ft, i couldn't get the solid copper to go through.  :frowning2:

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 7

[size=small]Consider using spray which helps pulling cables and wires into sleeves - it reduces friction and does not leave residue after installation. I use one available here - Kabelglide (http://www.itwcp.de/en/index.html - go to section Cramolin). It comes with 1 metre long flexible tube for application or you can spray wire when entering sleeving.[/size]

[size=small]Use larger tubing for longer lengths (more than 3 feet).[/size]
[size=small]Good luck![/size]

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 7
If the sheath is very tight thread a single wire through as a leader and use it to pull the fat bundle through. 

When you try to get the fat bundle through the an inch or 2 of heat shrink covering the tip and keeping everything together will make your life mucho easier. If you cant get the heat-shrink covered cable bundle into the sheath the sheath is too small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back