Suggestions needed for Denon D7000 portable headphone amp
Oct 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Hetfield72

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

My current listening setup is a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 and a CMOY homemade headphone amplifier in an Altoid tin hooked up to an iPod classic. This has worked well for me for a couple of years, but I have recently upgraded my headphones to the Denon AH-D7000 and I am thinking that I will probably need to upgrade my amp as well.

Background:
I use my headphones for music listening (not gaming, movies, etc.) with my iPod classic. I typically listen to them at my office or when I am out at lunch during the work day. Because of this, something that is somewhat portable is nice. It doesn't have to be "fit in your pocket" portable, but I should be able to set it up on a desk and move it when I want. I typically listen to rock, heavy metal, and acoustic music. My budget is open, but honestly I am having a hard time rationalizing spending over $250 on an amp. Maybe it's because I haven't ever listened to one of these $500+ amps, but I just wonder how much better it could be.

So I am hoping that someone will have some suggestions (specifically for use with my Denon d7000 headphones - 25 ohm impedence).

Criteria are:
  1. Would like it to power itself with batteries to make it more portable
  2. Should work with an iPod classic
  3. Something that is a good match for the Denon D7000

Any help is appreciated!

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
I found both the Pico Dac / Amp and the TTVJ Slim to be great partners with the D7000.  Pico was my favorite of the two.

Thanks for the info. It looks like the Pico dac/amp is little above my price range ($500). The Pico amp alone is a little closer in price (I think around $350) and from what I understand (and my understanding could be limited) I probably wouldn't use an external DAC with my iPOD so maybe I wouldn't really need it. I know there is a way to bypass the iPod DAC, but from what I've read only a few proprietary distributors have DACs capable of this (i.e. not all DACs will allow the iPOD to bypass its internal DAC). Is this correct information based on other people's experiences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back