Suggestions: JH13 / UE Ref / JH 16 / UE 18 [JH 3 A] (Question revised, letting go of other thread)
Jan 20, 2011 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Girls Generation

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, my last thread, I asked of you which I should get. It wasn't a smart question.

Now that I've had a very helpful discussion with someone, here's my new question; I sincerely need your opinions and suggestions. Thank you.

I'm going to be studying sound engineering next year as well as producing music and composing as another route for my future. Therefore, I need to invest in some top tier IEMs or fullsize cans... I currently own CK10s and as far as my knowledge goes with headphones, the best ones I've heard were the Beats. I'm looking for something to best both of these, something that'll blow me away, as well as something to aid me in my path to becoming a fully knowledgeable audiophile, and an engineer or producer. My main interest is vocal-led Ballads, as well as korean Pop and hip hop. :) and I've heard that since all these are produced in a studio I don't need top tier equipment because there isn't much detail to be heard unlike raws like songs recorded live. However, I do love paying attention to whatever detail is in the song such as a small sound effect that is barely noticeable with regular equipment, so I can get to know the songs inside out. 

Now, I'm not sure if I should go the flatter route with the UE Reference monitors, or JH13s or if I should just have some fun with the colored route JH16 and UE18. I'm afraid that the emphasized bass on the Jh16 would affect ballad songs. Basically I need to figure out what will provide me with coverage for professional use (like in studios) as well as just casual listening when I go out to like the beach or the mall. 

Now here comes the JH 3As. Now, I'm not 100% knowledgeable on this, but I do "get" it. However, I don't have a portable source that can provide a digital signal (I use a Samsung M1, and considerring getting an ipod touch 4). Is it still worth it to get the JH3As when I'm mostly going to be using it on the go with an analog signal? Also, Samsung mp3 players have DNSe, are you guys familiar with it? I can't live without it T_T and when I get another portable source... I'm probably going to miss it ALOT.

Lastly, I'm wondering what the sound difference is between a full size headphone worth ~1300 and a custommold IEM like a JH16 or UE 18.

Thank you ALL!
o btw. I kinda like fun over flat. xD but if flat is best for me I don't mind.

Examples of what I listen to:

K-Ballad Watch in 720p for sound quality :p
Another K-ballad
One more, click 720p

K Rock

KPop

I'm not sure what genre this would be but I listen to these too :p

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 19
I would recommend JH-13 or even JH-5. You would be able to listen to >90% of the detail with JH-5's. And like you mentioned, there are not that many details in the type of music you are working with as opposed to classical and jazz, so this would not be affecting your production. Both the JH-13 and JH-5 are near neutral, an added benefit for audio production. Also, I think the JH-3A would be overkill for your scenario. Just my opinion.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 19
Oh, I do like classical I have lots of them.^^

I guess I would benefit with the JH 13, but I do like some color to my music, and my DNSe3.0 will allow me to reduce bass if JH16 overwhelms the mids. How about that route? But the audio production thing is what's holding me back from deciding on the 16s.

Oh, and thank you for your very helpful advice.

I'm not sure if the JH 13/16 would bottleneck my Samsung M1 player...

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 19
im gonna be biased and say, no love for the es5??

they are slightly cheaper than all the options you have mentioned, almost flat but with a slight tinge of warmness for musicality and westone are famed for their mids, and judging by the songs you listened to which is mainly pop/vocals, it can be another alternative to look at

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 19
I have had UE18s and JH16s, the 16s had amazing deep/rich bass, and clarity, the 18s were funner, and more musical, and produced the best vocals I've heard from any cans (you could feel the singers emotions). For my preferences I liked the 18s the best, t

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 19
Also, I'm using ATH-CK10 at the moment. Can you guys compare the JH/UEs with those? (SQ, Clarity, detail, low/mid/high, etc.)

Hmm. Is that so? I like richbass and clarity, but I'm also focused on which produces best vocals T_T Oh my god, it's so hard to decide...
Quote:
I have had UE18s and JH16s, the 16s had amazing deep/rich bass, and clarity, the 18s were funner, and more musical, and produced the best vocals I've heard from any cans (you could feel the singers emotions). For my preferences I liked the 18s the best, t

I'll look into this also ^^ But the preferred brands I'm looking into getting are the ones I mentioned (Just personal preference/motives)

Quote:
im gonna be biased and say, no love for the es5??

they are slightly cheaper than all the options you have mentioned, almost flat but with a slight tinge of warmness for musicality and westone are famed for their mids, and judging by the songs you listened to which is mainly pop/vocals, it can be another alternative to look at

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 19
I've gotta also say, ES5 is a very good choice since it's neutral and has good mids and highs without overbearing bass. You should look into it. People are raving about the ES5 here.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 19
Well, I'm reading alot of positive stuff about the ES5s... however, they say that the "all-in-one" might be worth getting over the ES5 and a DAC/amp which i do not have. Of course, if I had an amp/dac I would have probably decided on the ES5s by now....

However, my Samsung YP-M1 might bottleneck the ES5, and they also don't have LO, only HO.

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
Well, I'm reading alot of positive stuff about the ES5s... however, they say that the "all-in-one" might be worth getting over the ES5 and a DAC/amp which i do not have. Of course, if I had an amp/dac I would have probably decided on the ES5s by now....

However, my Samsung YP-M1 might bottleneck the ES5, and they also don't have LO, only HO.

your 'all-in-one' is jh3a?? its not out yet if im not wrong
To save cost, can get an amp only instead of amp/dac combo if you want to get other customs

honestly, your m1 would do just fine with any of the custom you listed, they are not hard to drive really, if you want LO, go for s:flo2, hm-series, fuze, apples...don't think anyone have made a lod for samsung players commercially yet, most of them is just diy stuffs.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 19
THANK YOU so much for the post... i've been staring at this thread all day in hopes that someone will post >_<
Hmm... yeah, i hear amps are for fullsized cans mainly... if ES5 aren't hard to drive, then I guess I could go for it with my M1 :]
Yes, the all-in-one JH16 + JH3A. I can wait xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back