Suggestions for WA33 alternatives / TOTL tube amps
Sep 5, 2020 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Mitchell Lee

Head-Fier
So I’ve been looking for a totl headphone tube amp. I wanna get a headphone tube amp for stronger bass and warmer sound signature. I know the wa33 is popular but it’s so well known that I would like to try some of the smaller brands out. However, I still want comparable performance. Here are things I that are important to me:

1. Warm sound signature with strong clean bass. I’m a bit of a bass head. I currently listen to music off my ifi black label with the bass boost always on.
2. Minimal loss in resolution, clarity, soundstage and imaging
3. Balanced is preferred but not necessary

I’m planning to run this from a DAVE to power my abyss an 1266 phi tc. (You could see why getting a wa33 would make it a very stereotypical endgame setup)

I would like to get suggestions for other tube amps that are strong competitors. Currently, I have my eye on a Prelude 3.1 LE from a small Korean company. Not a lot of reviews but the few that exist are solid

http://www.analog.co.kr/prelude31-le.html

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 33
You also have the Riviera AIC-10 if you're looking within that price bracket. Otherwise another cheaper option is the AudioValve Solaris, Alo Audio Studio Six (a little biased for this one since I own it)

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 33
I have Dave / AIC-10 / AB1266 Phi TC, great sound! It is not balanced, but otherwise I think it meets your criteria. I have not heard the WA-33 for comparison, I would love to one day.

I have listened quite a bit to the Audiovalve Solaris in a similar setup. Quite good, especially for the price.

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 33
Check out the reviews of the Auris Nirvana. I've had it for over a year and it sounds better than my excellent SS Luxman P700u on all my headphones including the Susvara, ZMF VO, VC, and Aeolus, Utopia, and LCD 4z. It has enough power, 6.5W/ch, to drive any headphone including the hardest to drive Susvara without breaking a sweat. Tubes are readily available, both NOS and new production and you don't have to spend a fortune to tube roll like the Woo WA33. I spent $80 on a NOS tube and it sounds great. It has 3 inputs (XLR and single ended) and it has headphone outputs for 4 pin XLR, dual 3 pin XLR, and 6.3mm plug. It also features variable impedance which is a great feature for matching to low or high impedance headphones. It's a SET class A amp that looks and sounds great. The fit and finish are exemplary. The sound is very engaging and musical. You get a large and deep soundstage with precise imaging and powerful dynamics. You can get deals on it so don't expect to have to pay the full MSRP.
Nirvana Headphone Amp.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 33
Feliks is coming out with a balance amp next year which might be on the 300B tubes.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 33
Ill wait for that then. I was looking into feliks but they only had single ended outputs. Ive heard great things about them.
This is going to be a bigger amp to compete with WA33. I’ve used the 1266 on the Euphoria AE but it didn’t have the volume and would distort past 12. It’s a shame because the rest of my headphones are magic on it.

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 33
This is going to be a bigger amp to compete with WA33. I’ve used the 1266 on the Euphoria AE but it didn’t have the volume and would distort past 12. It’s a shame because the rest of my headphones are magic on it.
So I'm guessing it won't be OTL then? I love Feliks craftsmanship and attention to detail :beerchug:

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 33
So I'm guessing it won't be OTL then? I love Feliks craftsmanship and attention to detail :beerchug:
They won’t let the cat out yet. A bigger OTL that can handle 1266 would be perfect.

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 33
Sep 15, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #15 of 33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back