Suggestions for Portable Monitoring Headphones
Feb 4, 2019 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rramrram

New Head-Fier
I want a pair for under $200 US, portable wired headphone, on ear/over ear, build quality, critical listening (metal music and video editing) NOT muddy bass heavy

a local store is selling [AKG 545](https://www.amazon.com/AKG-K545-BLK-Studio-Quality-Closed-Back/dp/B00E89ASQK) for $120 US, is this a good option? anything better for the task under 200 US?

mostly used on laptop, my smartphone, and if necessary using DragonFly Red

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 7
I want a pair for under $200 US, portable wired headphone, on ear/over ear, build quality, critical listening (metal music and video editing) NOT muddy bass heavy

a local store is selling [AKG 545](https://www.amazon.com/AKG-K545-BLK-Studio-Quality-Closed-Back/dp/B00E89ASQK) for $120 US, is this a good option? anything better for the task under 200 US?

If you can stretch your budget there's the Focal Listen Pro.

Otherwise, look into the K550 MkIII and K553 MkII.

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 7
If you can stretch your budget there's the Focal Listen Pro.

Otherwise, look into the K550 MkIII and K553 MkII.

isnt K550 older version? I do have a Shure SRH840 but want one I could move around alot without concern and mostly without a dec while still giving a good critically accurate sound. btw is that 60 dollar JBL Synchros S500 any good? its 200+ usd on internet, the thing is its a sell out sale and I'd love to find bargain here

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 7
isnt K550 older version? I do have a Shure SRH840 but want one I could move around alot without concern and mostly without a dec while still giving a good critically accurate sound. btw is that 60 dollar JBL Synchros S500 any good? its 200+ usd on internet, the thing is its a sell out sale and I'd love to find bargain here

Haven't tried the JBLs. I recommended the headphones that are the current available iterations of the older ones I got to try.

Feb 4, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 7

Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
Sometimes used ones sell for a good price on eBay.
Also check out the AKG K550 MkIII and K553 MkII.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 7
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
Sometimes used ones sell for a god price on eBay.
Also check out the AKG K550 MkIII and K553 MkII.
I want this one first and foremost sturdy for on the road use, and my only Audio-Technica was the weakest built headphones I ever had and no removable cable adds to that, I looked it up on ebay for 150 usd and loved it though
I'll check those AKGs then
have any idea about 1More H1707? I almost bought it the other week, but the triple driver made me wonder if theyd be any good without a huge nonportable DacAmp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back