Suggestions for non-lyrical music?
Apr 23, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #18 of 30
Most of the albums (though not all) that have been released since I joined the B&W Society of Sound Club have been instrumental. You may want to check it out. Nicely recorded/mixed high res files available for a month before being shopped around to the labels. Good stuff.

Plus another stab for WFMUs archives.

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #22 of 30
try "music for a nurse" by a band called OceanSize. It's a good song, and you might like some of their other stuff. They've got some instrumental tracks with minor lyrics. It might be a good transition LOL. I don't even know how to classify their music.

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy crap, how could I forget...

...BATTLES - Mirrored

Just listened to it after a short hiatus this weekend and blew one of my friends' mind.

Oh, yes. That one definitely belongs in the masterpiece thread.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about some bluegrass? Maybe some folk and instrumental guitar? A great place to start is with Leo Kottke's 6 and 12 String Guitar album:

kottke_6and12f.jpg

This album is a classic and has huge crossover appeal. Even if you're not generally into this genre, please give it a listen. It's a little like how Kind of Blue or Time Out can turn people into jazz fans - it is that good.

I'm listening to this tonight because of this recommendation and it is incredible. It is absolutely worth a listen, especially if you know guitar or a little theory or if you know have a soul or think you might want one. One of those is sufficient. Wow.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #28 of 30
someone mentioned this already, but: Do Make Say Think. they are absolutely incredible. you can't really go wrong with any of the more popular instrumental indie rock:

Do Make Say Think (& Yet & Yet is a great album to start with)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
A Silver Mt Zion
Explosions in the Sky
Fly Pan Am
Mogwai
Tortoise

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy crap, how could I forget...

...BATTLES - Mirrored

Just listened to it after a short hiatus this weekend and blew one of my friends' mind.

Best album.

Reading about this group's style prior to listening made me not want to listen to them at all. Then I gave it a shot and loved it so so much.

They need to hurry up and put out a new proper album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back