Suggestions for IEM
Mar 10, 2011 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

randomAverage

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
  I am new here and I am looking for IEMs. I would greatly appreciate some advice. Here are my requirements:

1. Shut out external noise to the extent possible. I study at school in a large hall that can be rather noisy. I was first thinking of getting the Bose Noise Cancellation head phones but browsing around here seems to suggest that it cannot shut out voices but only shuts out constant noise of the sort in planes. 

2. Minimal microphonics. I have used Skull Candy's inkd earphones (not sure whether those are IEMs) and I found the microphonics extremely annoying. While, I will be removing my earphones when I eat or something. I like to walk and think and it would be nice not to have to hear the headphones.

3. Comfort: I am guessing this is hard to put as a requirement because I will have to try a few tips but your personal opinion on what you found comfortable would be awesome :)

4. Durability: This is really important to me. I will be using the earphones almost daily for roughly 10-12 hours. I am planning on getting a case and using it to keep the cords whenever I am not using the earphone but I know myself to be rather lazy in these things :frowning2: (Perhaps, this is the right place to state this, but I would prefer a decent warranty system)

5. Music: So my listening experience till now has primarily been using lame earphones. Compared to those I guess anything would sound better. The music is primarily a way to complement the "shutting out of external noise" bit so I don't think it is that much of a priority.

Budget $300 .

P.S: I went through this gigantic review thread by lijokerl but it seems that one of top ones within my prices range Audio Technica CK 10 is discontinued. I am not able to figure out what product on their web page is equivalent. So some equivalent suggestions would also be helpful.

Thanks
RandomAverage

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 12
For killer isolation, you might want to look into Etymotics, as those have (allegedly) the best isolation around, but I'm not sure how the sound signature of those IEMs might sound with your music. Also, those annoying microphonics can be greatly reduced (with most IEMs) buy looping the cord over your ear first.

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
For killer isolation, you might want to look into Etymotics, as those have (allegedly) the best isolation around, but I'm not sure how the sound signature of those IEMs might sound with your music. Also, those annoying microphonics can be greatly reduced (with most IEMs) buy looping the cord over your ear first.

Thank you for your reply. BTW how bad can the microphonics get with ER-4P ? I was looking at the ratings on lijokerl's review which were not very high; also the reviewers on amazon were suggesting that the only way to reduce the microphonics was to loop it around twice around your ear which sounds like a bother.

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 12
I would recommend taking a look at the DBA-02 and the SE530 (or 535 if you get a deal on it) as these IEM's fit your genre. I can't really comment on the SQ because I've heard neither, but it would seem these are good for that genre (or any genre for that matter.)

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 12
BTW, are your requirements ranked in order of importance? Because that might help us weigh the suggestions... Also, you might want to take a look at this thread, because the ratings all take isolation and build quality into account, could be helpful:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-150-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fx700-fad-fi-ba-ss-1964-t-added-02-27

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
I would recommend taking a look at the DBA-02 and the SE530 (or 535 if you get a deal on it) as these IEM's fit your genre. I can't really comment on the SQ because I've heard neither, but it would seem these are good for that genre (or any genre for that matter.)

Thanks will look into them.

Quote:
BTW, are your requirements ranked in order of importance? Because that might help us weigh the suggestions... Also, you might want to take a look at this thread, because the ratings all take isolation and build quality into account, could be helpful:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-150-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fx700-fad-fi-ba-ss-1964-t-added-02-27

Yes. They are. I did look into that thread (which is where I got the idea of getting the CK-10). However, that appears to be difficult to get which is why I am trying to figure out which of the massively huge numbers in that link would fit me most closely.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 12
Hello all,
  Okay here is a list that I am open to increasing first and then probably short listing from:

Weston 2 (Disadvantages that I see are a one year warranty?)
DBA-02 (Rather low build quality ratings by ljokerl ? )
SE 535 ( I have no idea about this. I am trying to find ways of comparing this with Weston 2. However that large thread doesn't have any references to Shure phones)
ER-4P (I have not heard good stuff about the microphonics yet)

Any other suggestions that I can look into

Thanks
randomAverage

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 12
SE535? Isn't your budget $300? If you go through http://www.earphonesolutions.com/ you can extend your warranty to 2 years instead of 1 for most universals. For absolute minimal microphonics I'd recommend tWestone 4, 3UMX, 3, 2 (In that order). Comfort will vary from person to person; Westone 3's + Shure Olives is what I'm using currently but I just ordered some JH5 Pros =) Heard good things about DBA-02 but never used them before but I'd listen to ljokerl, he knows his stuff.

Best of luck to you

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 12
Ah, yes. I got confused on the price front. BTW how much do you use the westones ? I will be using my earphones 6-8 hours per day. Is that too much/Can they handle it? I would hate to have to spend $200+ and then have it get screwed up pretty soon.

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 12
I def don't use my headphones for 6 - 8 hours every day, maybe two hours. In terms of durability, I think this varies from person to person, but after 2 years of use, the cabling on my 3's started to unravel. However, Westone is an awesome company and is sending me a free replacement unit. That being said, I didn't treat my 3's with care (I'm the type to throw them in my bag without any protection) and I've taken my Westones to various parts of SE Asia in the summer (with no AC and lots of humidity)! For the most part, people replace their IEM's because their cable broke and not because of the shell/drivers/etc. I still stand by my post, the Westones have the least amount of microphonics, however, they may not be for you - esp if you're going to be using them in an active setting. The Shure 215's should be coming out really soon and from what I've read they're tough to beat. They have the build quality of the 535 (including detachable cables), sound great and cost only $100. 

Responding to the other questions:
1. Companies will claim that their unit blocks out X amount of db's. However, this is dependent on fit... so usually they give you a range that's roughly ~20 - 25db.
3. Comfort is also based on fit. You can't trust one persons opinion on comfort because the shape of your ear differs from another persons. The companies you listed seem to work for most people though
5. Every company has their own signature sound: Ex: Shure is more Crisp/Foreward on the mids, Westone is more warm and laid back

Take everything I say with a grain of salt - there are def. more experienced members on head-fi. Regardless of what you get, if you're coming from Skull Candy Headphones, you'll be blown away by just about anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back