Suggestions for headphones for office that are effective at blocking noise with or without music (primarily without)?
Oct 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Oscar1

New Head-Fier
Any suggestions for office headphones that are effective at blocking noise with or without music (primarily without)?

I work in an office where my cubicle neighbors are not very considerate; often I can hear people conversing, three different radios playing, someone snapping or humming to his/her music and/or popping chewing gum.  It's extremely annoying and I often have to work late after the loud folks leave just so I can get my work done.  I've never been a listen-to-music-while-studying/working kind of person, but for the past year, that's what I've resorted to via earbuds.  I'm tired of working late because I can't get my work done, so I've started researching some headphone options.  I thought about getting some workshop earmuffs but think that might send the wrong message.  It seems I probably need some passive noise blocking type headphones as the noise canceling ones won't block out people talking loudly and such.  I would prefer some that would be effective with or without music (so my officemates think I'm just listening to music and not purposely trying to ignore them and so I can occassionally listen to music if I'm not working on something that requires full concentration).  I've searched the threads here but don't see much mention of headphones that will block noise just by themselves, without music.  I have 10 different sets of headphones in my cart at Amazon and just can't decide.  I'd like to stay under $100 but can go up to $300 if I'm certain they will work.  I appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks in advance!

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 10
I dont have any headphone suggestions but you should play relaxing music while working instead of regular songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfY9BJaGzEU&feature=channel

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 10
I tested a few closed headphones for their ability to block sound leakage - of music from within the headphone leaking to the outside, which is not exactly what you are asking about.  Sadly I did not take notes on your question on how well they block sound from entering (and no longer have three of the headphones).  But I think the ranking would be the same in both directions.  The relative ability of the headphones to block sound leakage was:

K271 > SRH840 > DT770 > DT250 > D5000 

In terms of sound, the SRH840, DT250 and D5000 were by far my favorites.  But since the latter two are the leakiest of the ranking I'd recommend Shure SRH840.  If you're not going to listen to music the AKG K271 MKII are wonderfully comfortable and I could wear them for days.  They are also much better looking than the Shures.  But listening to music I found them sorely lacking in bass, expecially without an amp.

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 10
Eucariote - Thanks so much for your recommendations!  Comfort is certainly important.  I just read some reviews and think the AKG K271MKII just might serve my purpose.  I will also read reviews for the others you mentioned. Thanks again!

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 10
Oct 17, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 10
DirectSound Extreme Isolation headphones are basically hardware store hearing protectors with cheap crappy coby headphones crammed into them. Not just the drivers - the whole cup from a pair of small closed headphones. I have their EX-29 in my extensive stable of headphones and i think they sound terrible.

From what i have heard, the K271 is a very good headphone, but i have never heard it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back