Suggestions for good bookshelf speakers?
Jun 30, 2003 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

tjkurita

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a Cary SLP 98 tube preamp and Audio Electronic Supply AE 25 tube power amp. The speakers must have at least 90db sensitivity and be between 4-8 ohms.

I'd like bookshelf speakers with great neutrality and tightness. Small floorstanding speakers might be OK too. I would not like to spend more than $1500. I'd like to avoid speakers that need a subwoofer to make the system sound good.

Any suggestions? I am leaning toward Triangle speakers. They look like good speakers and have been well reviewed. I don't really know much about speakers and I am looking for some good ones.

Thanks.

Jun 30, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 35
Get some of the small floorstanders in the direction your leaning. If not them the monitor Audio S6 for 1000.00 are very good small floorstanders with a little better bass than the triangles. Also NHT ST4's for a grand. Or for a little more the Spendor S6.

Jun 30, 2003 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 35
Thanks as always Tom, you're always the man! Those NHTs look nice. I'll have to check those out against the Triangles. That 8" driver at the bottom of the tower looks really good.

Jun 30, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 35
It sounds like your putting together a nice speaker system. Do you have any links to the amp?

Jun 30, 2003 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 35
Audio Electronic Supply is a division of Cary Audio.

Here's the link.

http://www.audioelectronicsupply.com/

If you go to products-> AE-25 superamp. It is a really nice amp and only $1200 factory assembled. All point to point. They don't even use eyelet boards, it's true PTP. Super easy to service and maintain. At 100+ kohm input impedance it makes a good match with the Cary pre which has a larger, 400 ohm output. Also, the superamp is self biasing, which makes tuberolling a breaze... Also, both tube components, the pre and the power amps will only use about 180 watts of power total.

Well, enough of the commercial. Sorry about that. Yes. I would like to upgrade all of my stuff. I listen to so much music and radio. I figured I would get something that can serve me for a long time. Good speakers are the next step, but I have a set of Klipsch KM-2 that can serve me in the meantime.

I got a good deal on a cheap Cary SLP 98P which will keep the entire system under 5K... Basically, I'm selling three guitars to get this system together. Trading off music for music. The law of the conservation of music... You know how it is. Recycling keeps a roof over my head.

Jun 30, 2003 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 35
Roofs are good. Those Spenders are sooooo nice. I think they go for about 2500.00 new.

Jun 30, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 35
Call Audio Electronics or Cary or even Kevin at Upscale Audio and ask what they think. If you loose them you can wait for another pr. or something else.
Pidmode: which Spendors are the bigger of the two pr. I think they both have 8" drivers but doesn't one pr. use a super tweeter and the other use more of a traditional 3-way design?

Jun 30, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 35
The 1/2s are three way. I used to have an EL34 based Quicksilver and before I did a complete conversion over to DH SET, I was going to go with Spendor. Everything I've heard about them makes them seem like something I would definitely want.

My previous speakers were the LS3/5a.

Jun 30, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 35
Do check out either a pair of Audio Physic Yaras or a number of speakers in Totem Acoustics current lineup. Both the Audio Physics and Totems have very small footprints and offer terrific sound/build quality. TAS reviewed the Yara and were very pleased with its performance, especially for the price. I have listened to a number of Totems extensively and have been won over by their quick, punchy sound. The Totems however can be difficult to drive, so the APs may be a better match with your amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back