Suggestions for good bookshelf speakers?
Jul 1, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #16 of 35
I love the LINN Tukan speakers. No longer made but there are plenty floating around. As a matter of fact, I use 3 stereo sets around the house and office. Be sure to get the later one's with 3 bar tweeter. I run them aktiv too. Great little mini ...

4 ohm btw

Dan

Jul 1, 2003 at 2:25 PM Post #18 of 35
I second the Totem Acoustics http://www.totemacoustic.com/ recommendation as well as:

B&W 600 series are also highly recommended and have a pretty informative website www.bwspeakers.com

I currently have a pair of studiolabs that are very nice - quick tight bass - articulate high end (they use a soft tweeter) - I have the DS 5.3s but the Reference 1 and Reference 2s are very nice
www.speakerdirect.com

Jul 1, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #19 of 35
I have a pair on Canton Karat bookshelf speakers that are very nice - warm sound and tight bass. Very good with a quality 2-channel amp even little as 35W/channel. If you have a more powerful amp like 100W, it gives even better sound, especially at low volume.

Jul 1, 2003 at 5:38 PM Post #20 of 35
Mhm, mhm, hmmm - well, Focal JM Lab Cobalt 806, maybe? Or the Elac CL 310i JET or 205 JET... Or the Spendor S3? The new Tannoy Sensys DC1 should also be interesting...

skagen: I think you're the first non-German to mention Canton on Head-Fi. And yes, they also make good loudspeakers. I still enjoy my old Quintos on my computer rig, btw - bought ~ 1982, my first real pair of good stereo loudspeakers. Nevertheless, I prefer two-way speakers in this class to three-way constructions - imaging usually seems better...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #21 of 35
Since you already have a NC product, how bout listening to some Soliquy's?
I had the 5.0 for a short period and the soundstage was amazing even with my NAD receiver. Had to give them back and now have Monitor Audio 703's that was not a good seller in the States.

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #22 of 35
Already so many good ones are mentioned but, I'll add one more.
tongue.gif

Soliloquy 5.0s would go nicely with your gear. Originally started out by Dennis Had at Cary, this standmounts can be driven by either high-powered solid state or low-powered tube amps so long as they are robust. ( I've tried them anywhere from 6 watts SET to 250 watts solid state )

Like many monitors, they do not have the best extension in frequency extremes, but, their midrange is hard to fault.

Another caviat is that since they use a first-order cross over they tend to sound more coherent when a listening distance is over 6ft.

As far as the bass goes, I don't know how large your room is, but most monitors require a sub(s) if you want anything under 40hz. You want to avoid speakers who want to pretend having lots of bass.
•Soliloquy 5.0s

Jul 1, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #23 of 35
It continues and continues. Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Soliloquys are quite in the running. Reading reviews of the AES Superamp, the Soliloquys were highly touted. I suppose a Sub would not be such a terrible thing. Probably a sub + monitors will beat out a two speaker system with just 6" drivers. I don't see many speakers that go below 35 hz in the low range.

Thanks again all. I'll check it out. Triangle Zerius, Soliloquy 5 or 5.3, ZuCable Rune, Spendor S3, Audio Physic Yara. You've helped me narrow it down a little.

Jul 3, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #24 of 35
I don't know if anyone has brought up Green Mountain Audio "Europas" yet, but these speakers have been raved about on Audiogon and Audio Asylum. Do a search and read some threads on them. Plus, they are only around 8 to 9 hundred which is well within you budget. Even though I have not heard them, I have a pair coming for a trial period for my bedroom system. If I like them, the AAD E-48s are out.

Jul 3, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by vrao81
Surprised that no one mentioned Dynaudio. The Contour 1.1 should be in your price range.

his tube amp wont be able to drive the 1.1 sufficiently. I had the pair. Drove 'em with Krell amp. You need lots of power to wake 'em up.

Dynns, for most part, are better served with soid state amps.

Jul 5, 2003 at 2:40 AM Post #29 of 35
JM Labs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back