Suggestions for first IEMs?
Apr 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #16 of 16
Quote:
How would you describe the ER4PT IEMs? I got them mostly because of some of the glowing reviews. Also what made you switch to them?

Don't get me wrong I do like bass, but I dont want it to be too dominant. I'd actually prefer the vocals to be more pronounced if anything.

Also, are the cables detachable, I can't really tell and are the etymotic foam tips any good?

Sorry for going on and on, thank you.

I'm happy with my ER4P because it has good, clear vocal (though isn't as heavenly as good as the BA200) and the thing I like the most about it more than the BA200 is the treble is really clear. BA200 has noticeably recessed treble which actually has quite a good spark and detail but sounds quieter compared to the bass and mids. I also thought the bass on BA200 was neutral, but after using the ER4P for a while, I took a listen to the BA200 again and it sounded so bassy. I'm not saying BA200 is muddy, and it's not bloated or bleed into the mids, it's more like good bass that you can feel it's presence. But I think TDK put more emphasize on the bass a bit more than Etymotic did to the ER4P.

The cable is detachable, but people keep saying it's not meant to be as detachable as Shure SE series or Westone 4R, it is said that it's pretty difficult to remove the cable. It's not like you can twist it and snap it back on repeatedly. I have never done anything to the cable because I'm afraid I could be breaking the pin connectors.

The foam tips are good, they are really comfortable. The only problem is they only give you the large ones so if you have small ears like me, it will still fit quite well but won't be too comfortable. I'd say that the foams that come with the ER4 are pretty similar to the Atrio orange foamies, but a bit more denser. I use the small foams from my Atrio and it served me well until one of them passed away. I'm pretty happy using the small stock tri-flanges, but it's not really easy to get into your ears properly and it's very difficult to remove them because it feels like they're sucking everything out of your head, therefore, I'd say they are even more impractical to use when you're out with your buddies or at work than the foamies.

And lastly, watch this if you want to have good fit with the tri-flanges. I don't think you're gonna want to do that in public frequently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KwXEqe6Gq4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back